over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lee Haney

Lee's physique was pure magic lol. Maybe it's that he was one of the first bodybuilders I saw but his physique still has an otherworldly quality to it, to me. I'm not even trying to explain it lol.

Gaspari, that he was 2nd thrice is probably the biggest accomplishment ever by a competitive bb. It's amazing how shit he was genetically. Don't get me wrong, he was deserving but he beat so many guys who were light years ahead of him genetically.

@slesh Lee was great! Broke Arnold's record in two ways. It was 8 Olympias which broke Arnold's 7 and it was also 8 consecutive, unlike Arnold who retired between 6 & 7.

Mayan, Big A beat me to it. Lee was a monster for his time! If you haven't seen this, check out the documentary Battle For Gold (1988). That year they publicly weighed the Olympia competitors. A lot of guys were, 190, 200, 210, 215lbs, etc. Lee Labrada was 176lbs! Lee Haney was 243lbs at 5'11"...way beyond the rest accept for Ralph Moeller who is 6'5".

I must’ve watched that on vhs about 20 times as a teenager.

Reactions: Bio
He mentored Roc and J Rowe,Roc was my trainer/coach for a while.I believe in 2007 Roc opened his own gym and Lee came.We were watching a video of the show I had competed in,next thing I know I got Lee running me through my poses!Talk about nervous,really cool moment though.,

I came across this guy’s channel a little while ago. I like it. He breaks down contests like a judge would with footage and photos for the comparisons. He also confirms what I said above about this show being close to the O. It was the next day.

Not sure how old you are but after the Olympia would come the Grand Prix tour, roughly half a dozen shows throughout Europe.

IMO, Arnold's legacy isn't any number of Olympias he won but rather the impact he had on bodybuilding, basically brought it out of the shadows and onto the radar of every day people. He surely inspired more people to get into bodybuilding than any other bodybuilder before or since.
i do agree Haney had better aesthetics than most of the champs after him

To be fair regarding Arnold, we only count the Mr. Olympia wins but prior to the Olympia wins, he won some Mr. Universe shows which was the top contest at the time. Universe wins for Arnold and any other competitors should be listed and equal to an Olympia win.

Not sure how old you are but after the Olympia would come the Grand Prix tour, roughly half a dozen shows throughout Europe.
Oh, I know. I just meant that some of them may have been a few days or a week after. If you look at Haney's contest history he never did anything other than the Olympia after '84, but did the German Grand Prix in '87.

Even though the Olympia is the big stage with arguably the best competition the sport has to offer, I hold bodybuilders who compete multiple times a year and win in high regard. The '96 German Grand Prix was pretty nuts too. Good stage lighting and Dorian and Nasser both looked really good.

Oh, I know. I just meant that some of them may have been a few days or a week after. If you look at Haney's contest history he never did anything other than the Olympia after '84, but did the German Grand Prix in '87.

Even though the Olympia is the big stage with arguably the best competition the sport has to offer, I hold bodybuilders who compete multiple times a year and win in high regard. The '96 German Grand Prix was pretty nuts too. Good stage lighting and Dorian and Nasser both looked really good.

Right! Some competitors who missed their peak came in strong on those Grand Prix shows!!

Gaspari and Labrada were amazing as well. Rich so conditioned and crazy ripped. Top 3 guys ever in terms of intensity for training: Gaspari, Coleman, Platz. Of course there’s also Brach Warren and Johnny Jackson.

Labrada was near perfection.

Agree there was more of a tight knit group back then minus a couple of guys like Mike Quinn. Though, I think the best era for friendship was Arnold’s era in the 70’s.

Lee's most recent interviews on youtube have really got me obsessed with learning more about him. The interviews I believe, reveal a man with deep integrity, humility, and knowledge. It wasn't until Lee said that steroids only make up about 10-15% of the physique while the rest comes from diet and training, that i really grasped the importance of the food over steroids- straight life changing.

It wasn't until Lee said that steroids only make up about 10-15% of the physique while the rest comes from diet and training.
As I stated above, this is a genetic marvel that has no idea what works because anything he does builds muscle. The Olympia was drug tested in 1990. Look at the difference between 1990 and 1991.

Attachments

• Lee Haney.png
    Lee Haney.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 38
I'll always have Haney as my favorite Mr. O.

In no small part due to the fact that this was my era of bodybuilding and competitive experience.

Haney has such great shape, size, and flow. His physique looked like that's how it should be, graceful yet powerful. It's like everything was in harmony.

The fact he's a genuinely nice guy also helps, as that means something to me. No matter how successful one is, if they show arrogance and distain for others I cannot get behind them.

As I stated above, this is a genetic marvel that has no idea what works because anything he does builds muscle. The Olympia was drug tested in 1990. Look at the difference between 1990 and 1991.

I agree that he is a genetic marvel. But anybody who stands on the Olympia
stage is a genetic marvel weather you like the 'look' or not.

And while umbrage is too strong a word, having no idea what works for him
might be a bit too strong as that would discount his consistency, dedication,
focus, etc. Yea, he builds muscle 'easily' (a relative term) but you gotta show
up, put in the work, and understand and cause and apply effect relationships
as it applies to your training and diet. Nobody stands on that stage because
they do not understand what works . . . at least for them.

I have listened to a bunch of interviews with Lee because I like his style and
did come way shacking my head sometimes about some of training 'concepts'
which is what you might be getting at, no?

Thanks for the foto, a great example, the difference between the two years. Just
remarkable. But if everybody was truly off the juice, the same people would be
placing in the same order, not that that was your point.

I think it was Lance Armstrong who said he would still have been number one
without the drugs but only if everybody else was off too.

There's a solid youtube video of Dorian at the '96 German grand prix, I've watched it so many times. He looks unbelievable

I agree that he is a genetic marvel. But anybody who stands on the Olympia
stage is a genetic marvel weather you like the 'look' or not.

And while umbrage is too strong a word, having no idea what works for him
might be a bit too strong as that would discount his consistency, dedication,
focus, etc. Yea, he builds muscle 'easily' (a relative term) but you gotta show
up, put in the work, and understand and cause and apply effect relationships
as it applies to your training and diet. Nobody stands on that stage because
they do not understand what works . . . at least for them.

I have listened to a bunch of interviews with Lee because I like his style and
did come way shacking my head sometimes about some of training 'concepts'
which is what you might be getting at, no?

Thanks for the foto, a great example, the difference between the two years. Just
remarkable. But if everybody was truly off the juice, the same people would be
placing in the same order, not that that was your point.

I think it was Lance Armstrong who said he would still have been number one
without the drugs but only if everybody else was off too.
Which is why in my first post I stated he still put in hard work. I also don't understand the comments made by some in the thread that Gaspari had awful genetics when he had one of the best physiques ever. If you're on a pro stage, even in dead last, you're still genetically ahead of normal people.

I agree with Lance Armstrong and have always said they should give him his medals back. This is about claims that drugs only help "a little bit" which are laughably false. They raise the ceiling of what can be achieved physically by up to ~100 lb. This is what natural bodybuilding looks like:

Which is why in my first post I stated he still put in hard work. I also don't understand the comments made by some in the thread that Gaspari had awful genetics when he had one of the best physiques ever. If you're on a pro stage, even in dead last, you're still genetically ahead of normal people.

I agree with Lance Armstrong and have always said they should give him his medals back. This is about claims that drugs only help "a little bit" which are laughably false. They raise the ceiling of what can be achieved physically by up to ~100 lb. This is what natural bodybuilding looks like:

Yes. I went back and reread your post. Apologies. You make some valid points.

@slesh Lee was great! Broke Arnold's record in two ways. It was 8 Olympias which broke Arnold's 7 and it was also 8 consecutive, unlike Arnold who retired between 6 & 7.

Mayan, Big A beat me to it. Lee was a monster for his time! If you haven't seen this, check out the documentary Battle For Gold (1988). That year they publicly weighed the Olympia competitors. A lot of guys were, 190, 200, 210, 215lbs, etc. Lee Labrada was 176lbs! Lee Haney was 243lbs at 5'11"...way beyond the rest accept for Ralph Moeller who is 6'5".

There’s another way to look at Arnold’s wins. He won six, took 5 years off, won again. If he could win after a 5 year break, he probably could have won all of those years too. So Arnold COULD have won 12 times, or even more.

Taking nothing away from Lee.

Now this brings back memories. Gaspari battling it out with Haney!!! Mike Christian was in there. Shit i remember when Lee Labrada first broke out. He was literally 5’6” 180 and was placing 2nd or 3rd in the olympia. Labrada trained high intensity. Low volume. Low sets. Warmed up and started with heaviest weight first set and did drop set style training. Ala Mentzer and Yates. Gaspari was high volume. High sets. High reps. Gaspari was about 5’8” 220 contest weight. Shredded glutes. My first idol
Gaspari was the greatest guest poser I ever saw. Whenever I hear Juke Box Hero, I think of Rich Gaspari posing at the Universal Amphither in Anaheim. He was the first to have ripped glutes and he had them that day. Rich was amazing.

Corey Everson guest posed too. We were in the 3rd row and before she posed she had the seat in front of me. She looked like a super hero from behind. Huge shoulders and the tiniest waist. The only thing I can remember about her posing routine was her posing bottoms slipped off to one side of her huge woman bulge and she didn’t realize it for about 10-15 seconds. Just kept going through poses. Then she just pulled them back over, did a little oops shrug and smile and kept going like nothing. Fully exposed. She even returned to her seat not long afterwards. Man, the shoulders she had. She was number one at that time.

It was a great day.

He was genetically ahead of most people, you're right. There are no "shit' genetics at the O. But when I analyze his physique I don't see the full and big muscle bellies many others had. His ultimate capacity for muscle size was probably more exhausted with the technology of the day, he was probably closer to his limit than many others. That's why I think his placings were probably the MOST impressive I've seen, quite a feat. Gaspari used to say, back then, that he would legit die for an Olympia win. That was perhaps mostly balonie but there was maybe some truth to it as well. Lee Haney said he thought there was something wrong with Rich, said he thought he was a homo because he had no girlfriends when they trained together lol but it was supposedly because his bodybuilding was so important. These are things I read in the mags and maybe the reality was completely different lol.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws