YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lee labrada low sodium Vs Stan high sodium? why diffrent opinions?

Please explain eating clean and the need (must?) for sodium.

Signed,
Curious
Most clean foods contain very little natural sodium, and some even high in potassium. Therefore, you need to add sodium.

Most clean foods contain very little natural sodium, and some even high in potassium. Therefore, you need to add sodium.
Not dissing you, I just need to do some research.

My diet is very clean in my opinion but I do add sodium to my food.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Please explain eating clean and the need (must?) for sodium.

Signed,
Curious
Lets say that your normal diet is kfc pizza hut sandwiches from supermarket and you snacking on crips - this is huge amount of sodium. Thats why doctors gives people recomendations to watch their sodium intake. If you are coach potatoe and you eat grams on top of the grams of sodium of course you should be careful. But this information is useless for somebody who eat healthy and cooking from scratch. I would say this group of people eat not enough sodium in their diet.

So the hairs in your renal tubes retain most of the minerals you need which is why I mentioned sweating and heat, but even in the desert as a Marine having cammies with dried salt flaking off them when never took salt tablets and always just drank lots of water, more than a lot of bodybuilders, yes sodium can help with pumps especially if you are deficient but we generally are not. Salt loading during prep to flush salt later yes and sometimes doing two hours of cardio plus posing plus training maybe some salt would help. I’m not advocating low sodium just reasonable normal amounts. Plus getting too much of sodium, potassium, or calcium or getting them not in proportion is worthless anyway. I simply believe that we don’t need extra salt and I’ve seen this in many professional athletes and bodybuilders not needing salt loading now here I only push bc we as bodybuilders as opposed to other sports or even gear users tend to have health issues from kidney/BP related affairs. So for us more than others salt loading seems foolish and unnecessary especially since we all take drugs that cause edema like test, GH, slin. We only need to hold so much water and I’ve had to do more work helping people shed water than ever needing to salt load. Again all water contains sodium except distilled. To become deficient in sodium one needs a low sodium diet, a ton of sweating, and bad luck really. Those out there that want to salt load rock on I’m not saying don’t but those that aren’t shouldn’t imo believe it will make a difference especially not in relation to the health issues going with lots of salt intake as it will stress the renal system. We ingest insane amounts of salt compared to humans just a few centuries ago our bodies have not adjusted to the modern high sodium diet shit even organic chicken breast is loaded with sodium before you even season it. We just don’t need to load in general maybe there are a few exceptions and as to Lee Labrada and his son they are only both icons, champions and healthy so what could Lee know about the game right? Not trying to be antagonistic at all again you do you if it’s your thing but I don’t think it’s good for people to start salt loading in some belief that it will be efficacious to much of a degree definitely no where near the potential health risk in doing so. Yes I drink 2-3 gallons a day year round have since prolly 1997 in USMC recruit training weighing in back then at 156 lbs and salt gas never been something I needed more of.

I have to assume whatever "fine dining" they were treating you all to was pretty heavy on the salt. I personally have to add salt to everything as none of what I eat is prepared by anyone but me. I also get low on Na on lab work without aggressively adding it to everything including my pre, intra, coffee, protein shakes you name it. Without doing this I cannot retain any fluid and suffer hypovolemia. Prior to doing this I had a hematocrit of 47 and my blood barely trickled into the draw vial and this was with 2+ gallons of water intake, I simply retained very little fluid. I also get low BP without aggressively adding salt.

I think salt takes the blame for water retention when it was the entire large pizza and the 3000+ calories consumed above normal that plays a role.

Whatever people do do it gradually for sure. Don't go to 10,000mg from 2000. Titrate up.

Anyone else kinda excited that now we can argue about sodium "doses" lol.

I heard Ramy uses 12,000mg A DAY!!! Friend of a friend of an enemy told me..........................so reliable. ;)

Lets say that your normal diet is kfc pizza hut sandwiches from supermarket and you snacking on crips - this is huge amount of sodium. Thats why doctors gives people recomendations to watch their sodium intake. If you are coach potatoe and you eat grams on top of the grams of sodium of course you should be careful. But this information is useless for somebody who eat healthy and cooking from scratch. I would say this group of people eat not enough sodium in their diet.

I would love to see a study looking into the couch potato who does the above vs one who ABSENT those calories but the same amount of sodium being consumed. I know for me personally a large amount of sodium in the presence of excess calories behaves differently vs regular daily intake.

I can just speak for me. I eat 3k calories, 400g protein

Egg whites and eggs
Beef
Casien
Tuna wrapped in egg wraps
Fruit, pickles, tomatoes, walnuts, a scoop of Natty PB herr and there. Rice cakes, yogurt, cottage cheese

I hit 8g easily. I have to be careful to stay under 10g. Seems like even clean food is loaded with sodium.

I have to assume whatever "fine dining" they were treating you all to was pretty heavy on the salt. I personally have to add salt to everything as none of what I eat is prepared by anyone but me. I also get low on Na on lab work without aggressively adding it to everything including my pre, intra, coffee, protein shakes you name it. Without doing this I cannot retain any fluid and suffer hypovolemia. Prior to doing this I had a hematocrit of 47 and my blood barely trickled into the draw vial and this was with 2+ gallons of water intake, I simply retained very little fluid. I also get low BP without aggressively adding salt.

I think salt takes the blame for water retention when it was the entire large pizza and the 3000+ calories consumed above normal that plays a role.

Whatever people do do it gradually for sure. Don't go to 10,000mg from 2000. Titrate up.

I heard Ramy uses 12,000mg A DAY!!! Friend of a friend of an enemy told me..........................so reliable. ;)
What was the reason for your na being low? If assume 2 gallons would do it. Did they happen to test other hormones and suspect a small tumor on pituitary? They suspected this when my sodium tested low.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that peeing every 15 mins is not good 😊
I don’t advocate low sodium i salt my food, eat sweet potatoes daily and 5 liters is like half my water intake. Now precontest I might piss every 45 min but every 15 min sounds like a problem combined with sleep apnea bc on the hour at night when you’re laying down is odd too. I don’t adovcate sodium loading either but yes when I’m in prep week I salt load and then pull it all and switch to distilled water, have same protocol for well over a hundred athletes and worst result was some cramping BUT we mineral load and take Kline Con potassium. Now I don’t boil my food like some dudes so my food isn’t sodium free. I only hold that state for 24-48 hours and generally backstage we start the sodium back in with salt and vinegar chips a few classes before pump up starts. Point is I know you eat more salt you excrete more but for me salt loading or even on my cheat day I get a mountain of sodium compared to my usual dusting of salt on my chicken and broccoli- i like salt and salt to taste but again cheat day I eat Bavarian pretzels and such and at least for my body the next day you can see and feel the salt and my body wants it out which as I said before puts stress on kidneys and to a degree the heart with all the extra water considering that most of us already have pharma endured edema. The guys like Luki who know they need it and can handle cool I’m not arguing but if you’re not already there or don’t have a legit coach to help you make that call you prolly don’t need to load it but shouldn’t cut salt either cuz yea we all should be 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. Now dude said ALL his electrolytes were low not just sodium so something there is wrong beyond sodium like renal failure.

I can just speak for me. I eat 3k calories, 400g protein

Egg whites and eggs
Beef
Casien
Tuna wrapped in egg wraps
Fruit, pickles, tomatoes, walnuts, a scoop of Natty PB herr and there. Rice cakes, yogurt, cottage cheese

I hit 8g easily. I have to be careful to stay under 10g. Seems like even clean food is loaded with sodium.
Same here SODIUM IS IN EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE MEAT I KILL MYSELF, the West puts it in everything even including organic free range chicken breasts, it is the cheapest preservative around and it makes food taste better.

Yea MREs are loaded with salt I never ate chow hall food and lived on tuna when I could. I agree some dudes need it. I just think that it’s not the majority. I’m a 2 gallon a day guy and I salt my food I just don’t hammer it and I don’t think I could stomach salted coffee lol bro.

Spot on. My sodium has been low due to hearing "2 gallons a day" even when getting 6-7 g sodium per day

Did your sodium test low? How much water were you drinking?
Every electrolyte tested low due to peeing them all out because I was chronically dehydrated...

As to how much fluid I was drinking, I don't remember exactly but it certainly wasn't THAT excessive (certainly not the 2-3 gallons of water a day I remember as advice from when I used to still read and believe what Flex-Magazine preached lol).

But the problem wasn't the fluid intake per se, it was the lack of sodium accompanying the fluids. It's all about balance.

But a delicate balance because that Flex-advice was flat- out dangerous advice for those just drinking those gallons each day without taking into account the entire context in which you were doing so...

It's so simple really: if you're going to be taking in a lot of fluids, make sure to salt your food liberally or use one of those electrolyte packs, whatever.

If you're going to be drinking little fluids there is less need to salt your food.

But I would always go for the first way since, just to give one example, I've had times where I thought my gear was fake or underdosed because I couldn't even get a proper pump while I was simply chronically dehydrated...

The same with hardness which bboy also mentioned, no vascularity etcetera.

Being a low carb guy, my one complaint about carb fasting/keto/CKD diets is they can leave a person looking or feeling flat. Doesn't much matter what else you're taking or eating. A smart trainer once told me to load sodium to fill out. And now I do and am liking it. I do drink a lot of water but I'm a super sweater. How much sodium I lose through sweat vs renal doesn't seem important though anyway. By the end of my workouts/dry sauna, I've lost a ton of water and sodium.

I used to worry about sodium because I ate a lot of it, until I didn't, and that's when problems arose. Fact is, my bloodwork has always come back low sodium, not high. I kept sodium low to protect against hypertension. But sodium wasn't the cause of my hypertension at all.

Doubling my sodium back up did the trick in a number of ways.

I do not compete but I’m a pro sodium guy.
Better performance in the gym adding some type of sodium source pre workout. Especially for pumps.

I don’t know about anyone else but i feel like when my sodium is low, I will crave pickle juice. I’ve literally slammed it.
I do not normally drink pickle juice.
Although it is around because I enjoy pickles.

Being a low carb guy, my one complaint about carb fasting/keto/CKD diets is they can leave a person looking or feeling flat. Doesn't much matter what else you're taking or eating. A smart trainer once told me to load sodium to fill out. And now I do and am liking it. I do drink a lot of water but I'm a super sweater. How much sodium I lose through sweat vs renal doesn't seem important though anyway. By the end of my workouts/dry sauna, I've lost a ton of water and sodium.

I used to worry about sodium because I ate a lot of it, until I didn't, and that's when problems arose. Fact is, my bloodwork has always come back low sodium, not high. I kept sodium low to protect against hypertension. But sodium wasn't the cause of my hypertension at all.

Doubling my sodium back up did the trick in a number of ways.
Yeah always when on diet or low carb high sodium or you look flat and no
I have been following the guidelines in this Article here

for my salt and other electrolyte intake, and must say it did have a noticeable effect on my performance in the gym and on the mats, I'm a salty sweater and wasn't really aware how much salt I'm losing every day, must have been deficient for years now.

I was very conservative with upping my Kalium intake, too much can be very bad 😅. But too much salt should not be a problem as long the kidneys are working and we get enough water everyday.
I did tried that to but he recommend 2:1 potassium to sodium. higher potassium then sodium = increase aldosterone = water retention or am i wrong? i know he very knowledge guy but something seem off there.

I did try 1tsp pink salt with my preqworkout today but felt very soft and watery not hard and pumped. did i take to much?

I did try 1tsp pink salt with my preqworkout today but felt very soft and watery not hard and pumped. did i take to much?
That’s a good bit to take at once , taking to much will often cause you to vomit or give you diarrhea later.
id simply increase your sodium intake through the day for several days rater than try to force something “right now”. Simply adding a couple V8 juice will make most people fell significantly better pretty fast not only because it’s loaded with sod but other vitamins and nutrients as well.
it ta the body a couple days to adjust to a new regime.
add 5 grams to your diet a day and after a few day evaluate how you feel and look , then add a little more and see what happens

On top of what @Gunsmith said, when increasing make sure you take in enough water.

It’s also pretty new to your body, give it time and be consistent. After a week of consistent higher sodium and stable water intake you’ll drop the extra water (in my experience).

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws