advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Leg ext and curls before or after squats?

cauthen96

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Registered
Been going back and forth with a few guys at the gym and having a healthy discussion.. some say prexhaust quads and hams then murder them completely on the squat rack and I always thought get the heavy sets of squats and presses out of the way and go light and contract on the exts and curls at the end of the workout.. any advantage or disadvantages to either way?

I like to do light weight curls to warm up my hamstrings before squats...I've noticed my knees feel better when I squat.
As far as for growth, I'm not sure which would be better but I prefer to finish legs off with heavier curls and extension after squatting... Personally, I like to squat before exhausting my legs

Been doing it DC and John Meadow style for a few years now. Hamstring isolation first. Then my heavy leg lifts like squats, leg press. If I do leg ext, I do them last.

The hamstring lifts first actually don't severely limit the weight I can squat. It DOES feel better and helps those of us with underdeveloped hams.

For longevity (and the fact that I have a bad knee):

I like starting with leg ext's for quads, the to hamstring curls, then squat/leg press or whatever.

Start with leg ext's just bc I like having a break between exts and squats.

I like the idea of a significant warm up before squats, but I'm uncomfortable with the benefit of hard squatting with tired legs. I'm 50 and it takes a few sets to get my hip joints warmed up to the point where they don't hurt.

Last edited:
Always always warm up with some hamstring curls and some leg curls man, and to be honest ever since i have. No joint pains, no injuries. Nothing! My squat has gone up so has everything else. Normally i will do 5 minutes bike and then stretch for 5 minutes then leg curls super setted with hamstring curls to get all blood rushing into my legs. Then i destroy them.

50 here too yes warm up up but I know no other way than big squats then all or any touch up stuff.
I feel those machines are hard on the knees
squats done properly never a knee issue with me

5-10 minutes on the treadmill with long strides and squeezing does plenty for warming up for me.

I never, ever smash quad extensions before squatting because I want my quads to be fresh when I squat.

I honestly hate my legs already feeling like jello while I'm squatting. But I'm always down to try something once to see it it works.

I tend to pre exhaust then squat. I like to super set leg press and leg curls, then extensions then squats. Sometimes I'll finish off with some more extensions. I don't think there is a right and wrong. When I stall ill probably squat first for a while. I find squats a bit daunting mentally if I do them first also. I'm more fired up If I do them last

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

I like the idea of a significant warm up before squats, but I'm uncomfortable with the benefit of hard squatting with tired legs. I'm 50 and it takes a few sets to get my hip joints warmed up to the point where they don't hurt.

Then do both.

Utilize light weight but high rep leg curls and extensions to warm up effectively without tiring you out. Then do your squats/leg press so you are warmed up but still fresh. Finish with heavy weight isolation work such as leg extensions. I personally like to work my hams before squats too (heavy) as this doesn't usually interfere too much with my squat (feels good). I have to add I don't squat heavy to much now due to back issues but that's what I have done in the past.

I change the order most workouts but something like that below is always good. Just adding a rough ideas of weight used but things like drops sets can be used with great effectiveness.

Leg Extension- Light
Lying Leg Curl- Light
Hip Work- Light to Moderate
Seated Leg Curl- Light to very heavy
Squat/Leg Press- Light to very heavy
Leg Extension- Heavy
Lunges- Changes... as much as you can go... usually light as can barely walk at this point.

Then do both.

Utilize light weight but high rep leg curls and extensions to warm up effectively without tiring you out. Then do your squats/leg press so you are warmed up but still fresh. Finish with heavy weight isolation work such as leg extensions. I personally like to work my hams before squats too (heavy) as this doesn't usually interfere too much with my squat (feels good). I have to add I don't squat heavy to much now due to back issues but that's what I have done in the past.

I change the order most workouts but something like that below is always good. Just adding a rough ideas of weight used but things like drops sets can be used with great effectiveness.

Leg Extension- Light
Lying Leg Curl- Light
Hip Work- Light to Moderate
Seated Leg Curl- Light to very heavy
Squat/Leg Press- Light to very heavy
Leg Extension- Heavy
Lunges- Changes... as much as you can go... usually light as can barely walk at this point.

This is almost exactly what I do lol

I like to switch up between the 2. No wrong answer comes down to personal preference. I always stretch light cardio before squats either way. make sure you don't get a false sense of warming up your legs by doing exts or curls before squats because your only isolating certain muscles

I do hams first, then glutes then squats. Allows me to use less weight squatting better for my back and joints. Plus its really made me focus on hams and glutes which I needed to bring up and have

I like to warm up quite a bit before doing any heavyish squats or even leg presses

i feel like i'm little stronger on squats if i do leg curls first. definitely more comfortable

Depends on age and injuries.

back in the "thick of things".....I would do extensions first, as warm up.
or a type of "prexhaust" type thing.

and then, do curls after the meat and potato work out (sqts,leg press).

I also would do 4 sets of 25.......with a 30sec rest between sets.

I would alternate that "main leg workout" with a much higher rep
less evasive workout (which some of you already know about) ;)
and would only actually take about 20 to 30 mins to complete.

:cool:

My preference is a 5-minute warmup on the bike (level 3 or 4) to get blood flowing to all areas and then proper Achilles and hip flexor stretching. I've tried the low-weight hammy and quad movements but as long as I had solid blood flow via bike and good stretches I'm always loose and not sacrificing strength.

Just my $.02 of what works for me.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner