YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Leroy Colbert gives surprising BBing advice.

cachexic

Registered
Lately I've been watching all of Leroy Colbert's YouTube videos. He gives fantastic bodybuilding advice and I love his attitude. I hadn't really learned anything new, but the way he explains things in a different, simple way is interesting to me.

About a week ago he released this video. What he said surprised me. He said all these bodybuilders doing things like "chest/tri day, back/bi day, legs" are doing it all wrong. He says you should never leave a body part alone for more than two days. On the third day, your muscle memory is gone and you have to "learn" the exercise again. I think he did full body workouts. I have a four day split and I am still seeing results after years, so what I'm doing is working, I'm just not sure if it's working optimally.

Just listen to him. Tell me what you think

YouTube - mryorkielover's Channel

Last edited:
Sounds like solid advice from an old school legend. I feel comfortable training the same bodypart, in one way or another, every day. Hasn't slowed my gains any.

I was brainwashed a long time ago "the body becomes its function". I see no reason why the same muscle can't be used daily or EOD.

Sounds like solid advice from an old school legend. I feel comfortable training the same bodypart, in one way or another, every day. Hasn't slowed my gains any.

I was brainwashed a long time ago "the body becomes its function". I see no reason why the same muscle can't be used daily or EOD.

Goddamnit. You know I used to do the same thing too and saw great results, then at some point I picked up a standard split ONLY because everyone else has a split like that. Now I'm thinking about training more instinctively...

I don't like to think too much about training, I just do what OTS tells me. I couldn't be happier.

Instinctive training is most definitely underrated.

i think this can be achieved with selected exercises on a split.

for example take the old dorian yates routine.

chest/bi

back

delts/tri

legs

if you do close bench/dips on tri day thats twice working the chest

if you do stiff legs and traps on leg day you are also hitting back.

No one else has anything to say about this? I bet 99% of the people on this forum have a split like he is talking about. I really hope some of the pros look at this thread. I've never heard anyone say this before, that training different body parts on different days is stupid. His other advice is so good though I'm inclined to believe him here too.

All I know is that I saw growth when I started training like Phil Hernon suggested. Prior to that I had been on a 4 or even 5 day split, and with Phil I was doing just a 3 day split. We lowered volume and increased the frequency at which I was training each bodypart and I grew. I had stagnated after training for about 20 years the old way.

I really do believe in lower volume and higher frequency. What Leroy says is true. Now I dont know about training the entire body in one day, because to me that would be too much volume in one day to handle and the session would last too long. Perhaps it would be a matter of dropping even more exercises and simplifying thing even more. I suppose Leroy would advocate training the entire body in one session and then take 1 or 2 days off and then repeat.

I wonder what kind of routine he would suggest? Anyone have it? I would like to see it.

Maybe something like this"

Decline bench 3 sets
Dumbell laterals 3 sets
Barbell bentover rows 3 sets
Chins 3 sets
Squats 3 sets
Stiff leg deads 3 sets

IMO..

If you can train a bodypart every day or EOD, THEN:

1. You aren't using enough weight AND/OR

2. You aren't progressing in strength AND/OR

3. Don't posses enough strength to do damage to muscle tissue (meaning you are new to the sport).

Increases in muscle mass most closely correlate with increases in strength. The human body (with the assistance of 'enhancements'...meaning of course NITRO TECH.:rolleyes:) is capable of gaining virtually unlimited strength. However, increases in recovery ability can only grow 20-40% above baseline. (I don't have a citation for this, but I read it in a difficult to find article and it has stuck with me...I can find if needed) This is why advanced bodybuilders need MORE rest than beginners. Dorian started training HIT when he realized he was no longer making gains. HIT allows more rest time. This is probably why Arnold and the old school volume guys never got MASSIVE.

Here is an interesting article about muscle recovery:
**broken link removed**

I don't necessarily agree with everything in the article, but I think it offers some light on the physiological properties of weight training. Dorian rested a bodypart for SIX days between workouts.

That's just my take on it. I could be wrong. ...but i did heavy squats yesterday...and I'll need a good 7 or so days to recover. But...I guess if you only squat 225lbs, then you wouldn't need 7 days.

All I know is that I saw growth when I started training like Phil Hernon suggested. Prior to that I had been on a 4 or even 5 day split, and with Phil I was doing just a 3 day split. We lowered volume and increased the frequency at which I was training each bodypart and I grew. I had stagnated after training for about 20 years the old way.

I really do believe in lower volume and higher frequency. What Leroy says is true. Now I dont know about training the entire body in one day, because to me that would be too much volume in one day to handle and the session would last too long. Perhaps it would be a matter of dropping even more exercises and simplifying thing even more. I suppose Leroy would advocate training the entire body in one session and then take 1 or 2 days off and then repeat.

I wonder what kind of routine he would suggest? Anyone have it? I would like to see it.

Maybe something like this"

Decline bench 3 sets
Dumbell laterals 3 sets
Barbell bentover rows 3 sets
Chins 3 sets
Squats 3 sets
Stiff leg deads 3 sets

Maldorf what is your split like

Maldorf what is your split like

I am doing the following, and have been for about 3 yrs:

Day 1:Quads, Hams and Calves
Day2: Chest, SHoulders, Triceps, abs
Day3: Back, Biceps, Calves
Rest
Repeat

Worked great for me when I had stagnated. Previously I was doing either a 4 or 5 day split and hitting each muscle only 1 per week . With this one I am hitting each 2x per week and calves 4x per week. Even back when I was doing the longer split I hit calves 4x per week.

i honestly think guys like leroy colbert with the genetic predisposition to grow large muscular bodies would look the same no matter what routine or split they followed.

IMO..

3. Don't posses enough strength to do damage to muscle tissue (meaning you are new to the sport).

Increases in muscle mass most closely correlate with increases in strength. The human body (with the assistance of 'enhancements'...meaning of course NITRO TECH.:rolleyes:) is capable of gaining virtually unlimited strength. However, increases in recovery ability can only grow 20-40% above baseline. (I don't have a citation for this, but I read it in a difficult to find article and it has stuck with me...I can find if needed) This is why advanced bodybuilders need MORE rest than beginners. Dorian started training HIT when he realized he was no longer making gains. HIT allows more rest time. This is probably why Arnold and the old school volume guys never got MASSIVE.

**broken link removed**

I don't necessarily agree with everything in the article, but I think it offers some light on the physiological properties of weight training. Dorian rested a bodypart for SIX days between workouts.

That's just my take on it. I could be wrong. ...but i did heavy squats yesterday...and I'll need a good 7 or so days to recover. But...I guess if you only squat 225lbs, then you wouldn't need 7 days.

Not true at all. Needing to rest 7 days after a workout simply means you did too much volume(IE too many sets). When you do lots of sets for a muscle what happens is you end up doing many sets that end up being lighter and lighter weight as the workout progresses because you are fatigued. If you keep the workouts short you hit each muscle with the max weight, get out and rest, and then come back and hit it hard again in about 3 or 4 days max.

Before I had my heart attack I was doing 3 sets of squats starting with 455 lbs for 10-12 reps. I would only rest 3 days before I did my squats again. I was adding strength every month and gaining some size.

i honestly think guys like leroy colbert with the genetic predisposition to grow large muscular bodies would look the same no matter what routine or split they followed.

Mmm. I dunno Tom. I'm torn on this one. More people please chime in...

I don't know. Lately I seem to be completly destroying each muscle group with each workout.

Just finished my back workout today with a 20 rep Deadlift set with a weight that was probably only really doable for 15. I haven't felt right since. I very much doubt i'll want to train back again by Thursday.

I don't know. Lately I seem to be completly destroying each muscle group with each workout.

Just finished my back workout today with a 20 rep Deadlift set with a weight that was probably only really doable for 15. I haven't felt right since. I very much doubt i'll want to train back again by Thursday.

Well, if its lower back that is sore then youll want more rest. I normally only would do deadlifts every other workout so that youre doing it no more than 1x per week. Lowerback gets hit with so many different compound exercises. I normally only would do 3 sets of deads too. Now if you did 5 sets of deads, then you would be needing more rest. I found though through experimentation that lower volume and more frequency works best for me and so I dont do more than 3 sets for bodyparts really.

Not true at all. Needing to rest 7 days after a workout simply means you did too much volume(IE too many sets).

For sure, or he didn't eat or sleep/rest enough. Hormone levels or blood pool amino acids were too low, etc, etc. It's a delicate balance.

Last edited:

Doing deads again any time soon would be foolish, but why not some, relatively easy, rows, chins or pullovers next time for back?

Last edited:
IMO..

**broken link removed**

I disagree... You should never tax muscle so much that it takes 7 days to recover - you have to think about not just the muscle that you trained but your CNS also... If your CNS is fried then how can you train the other body parts effectively?

I disagree... You should never tax muscle so much that it takes 7 days to recover - you have to think about not just the muscle that you trained but your CNS also... If your CNS is fried then how can you train the other body parts effectively?

Another thing that most dont think about. Good point. I used to do what that poster did and drive the target muscle into the ground once a week and it worked for awhile, but eventually it proved counterproductive. I sometimes think that the more advanced a lifter becomes, the lower the volume that is needed since the weights become much heavier and the lifter is able to achieve a much higher level of intensity.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131