over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lets critique proper form

Awesome thread Phil...

Here is one of my sets of hack squats today...

YouTube - hack squats with drops.MPG

For me, I love to get deep, and not lose control. I like to hit higher reps on legs, always have. If you noticed at the end, I moved my feet together and down on the platform, that annihilates your teardrop. You can't tell, but I was on FIRE at the end.

This was after leg presses, leg curls, and a variation of leg extensions I do....love doing hack squats with pumped legs...

JM
bro im laughing my ass off, cause those damn hack squats freakin killed me, especially after blowing my wad in the squat rack, that last set with feet together destroyed me, after stretching I had to lay in the floor until the fire left my legs...LMAO

this man knows legs! thus the pic of his sick legs that shelby posted :eek:

The woman are 10 times worse, with tons of makeup, the very strong aroma of cheap perfume and last week a girl was lugging her Louie Vatton bag around. Really irritates me.

Louis Vuitton

Lol! :D;)

bro im laughing my ass off, cause those damn hack squats freakin killed me, especially after blowing my wad in the squat rack, that last set with feet together destroyed me, after stretching I had to lay in the floor until the fire left my legs...LMAO

this man knows legs! thus the pic of his sick legs that shelby posted :eek:

Hahaha, Im on my 3rd day after that leg workout and my legs are even more sore now. I told John about how I rolled out the hack machine onto the floor and lay there for 20 minutes.

What about presses? Personally ever since i stopped letting my elbows go past 90 degrees and only coming up 3/4 of the way to lock out i noticed a huge difference in my chest, same thing for shoulders.

What about presses? Personally ever since i stopped letting my elbows go past 90 degrees and only coming up 3/4 of the way to lock out i noticed a huge difference in my chest, same thing for shoulders.

Very interested in hearing more on this topic.

I hurt my shoulder and plan to take a week off (already been out a week). I started doing FULL rom on shoulders, from chest all the way up and back ALA traditional standing pressed

YouTube - Chin-ups

Another back video for people to post opinions on. I went too heavy here admittedly as I'd like to hit about 15RP total for back and that was 10-11 total(video cuts out)...just having fun at the end of my blast on another movement I'm not particular good at which is why I post these. I don't really think you can screw up machine laterals or hammer strength chest presses which I did preceding this. Back is a priority for me... might as well get it right and do the things I know I should(rack chins, pullups, deads etc)

Last edited:
YouTube - Chin-ups

Another back video for people to post opinions on. I went too heavy here admittedly as I'd like to hit about 15RP total for back and that was 10-11 total(video cuts out)...just having fun at the end of my blast on another movement I'm not particular good at which is why I post these. I don't really think you can screw up machine laterals or hammer strength chest presses which I did preceding this. Back is a priority for me... might as well get it right and do the things I know I should(rack chins, pullups, deads etc)

All in all they look good. Only thing to take on board is when you get to the top, try not to duck forward to the bar but keep back a bit from the bar. This should help the biceps taking over. But again looks solid. Well done.

I think I see what you are saying, looks like a habit from trying to make my chin reach the bar... even though there is no bar to meet/reach haha.

Looks good to me brotha! Shakes are because your pulling a mountain of weight! Does that happen when you pull from the floor? Does it bother your low back/glutes the next day? If not id say dun worry about it. Nice pull!

YouTube - Chin-ups

Scott,
I personally don't like your ROM. At the bottom, when you go all the way down you seem to relax the back contraction and get a stretch on the lats. You do DC, so stretch the lats when it's stretch time not during the working set - so stop short of that stretch. So keep elbows still slightly bent at bottom.

In addition, you go too high. It's not a chin up like back in high school. Look at the upper part of your movement (when the angle of between your forearm and humerus get less than 80~ degrees) - it's like a hanging bicep curl. I like to stop at about 80 degree point maybe a little less - just stop before the hanging bicep curl part haha. If you took a wider and pronated grip you could go a little higher kinda like rack chins (since the biceps are at more disadvantaged position) - not recommending you do switch grip, just saying.

Search a post by Phil A LONG time ago about this - he specifically talked about pull-up ROM and this is generally what I got out of his explanation. Yes I know, I'm a closeted Phil stalker :D I just do what works and jsut about everything he's advised on these boards has worked better than what I was doing.

Hope this helps Scott!
Dave

Last edited:
Dave thanks for the breakdown. I am trying to push the stretch on each individual rep although I do know Phil prefers a different style.

I hope he doesn't mind me posting this but this is what I'm hoping for with my vertical pull moves

I saw a rack chins video by Kroxic somewhere on youtube where i thought he did them awesome.....especially at the full extension bottom of the rep where (i personally feel) most of the magic happens....he was going down to full extension, full stretch....then would do a slight pause at full stretch and at that point he would extend/stretch just a little bit more right before the next concentric rep....absolute PERFECTO form when I saw it....but he is under Super D's wing and Super D is really good about getting guys doing everything right on the money. Use that stretch to your advantage...Im telling you, I promise you if you feel like your pushing yourself away from the bar at full stretch at the very bottom for 1-2 seconds....then you are doing a very very very good thing....trust me on that.

YouTube - Rack Chins with 65lb Dumbell - DC Training

That's the Kroxic video referenced.

I'm not intending to start an argument on various training styles, obviously what Phil does works for his clients but I'm putting faith into one guy versus trying to smash a bunch of styles together.

Having said that, I have used Phil's style of reps in the past and it really helped my strength move up quickly on pullups/dips. I was literally struggling with bodyweight for 6-7 on dips and worked up to I think +80 for 5 before I became injured(my fault for not listening to my body, not Phil's lol). The top portion of the rep though... that I will experiment in the next 2-3 weeks and see which version works best for me.

From last fall.. Why is my ass shakin so much.. Are my glutes compensating for the heavy weight? How is the form.. Set starts at 0:45 in..

YouTube - Rack Deadlifts 605lbs 7 reps

Restless leg syndrom... :eek: LOL!

You felt no pain at all in ur knees during/after the set?!?! Seriously, they looked as if they were gonna explode from the pressure... I was like OMG just watching your (impressive nonetheless) set!!!

Maybe use a wider feet stance to somehow stabilize more your body? Might help with the booty shaking... :p :)

From last fall.. Why is my ass shakin so much.. Are my glutes compensating for the heavy weight? How is the form.. Set starts at 0:45 in..

good set bro, good amount of weight.
one thing i do differently, is instead of "bouncing" for lack of a better word, the weight off the rack, is do a nice slow negative, then pause for a few seconds on the rack, and take off again. i feel it helps growth a lot more. JMO. :D

great set though.

Restless leg syndrom... :eek: LOL!

You felt no pain at all in ur knees during/after the set?!?! Seriously, they looked as if they were gonna explode from the pressure... I was like OMG just watching your (impressive nonetheless) set!!!

Maybe use a wider feet stance to somehow stabilize more your body? Might help with the booty shaking... :p :)

Thanks for the feedback.. I will try a wider stance.. No knee issues.. ever..

one thing i do differently, is instead of "bouncing" for lack of a better word, the weight off the rack, is do a nice slow negative, then pause for a few seconds on the rack, and take off again. i feel it helps growth a lot more. JMO. :D

great set though.

That is a good suggestion.. It will be alot tougher coming to a full stop..

No, your not contracting your glutes at all at the top of the movement. What you are essentially doing at the top is going into a hyperextension. What you need to do as you pull the bar is up focus on squeezing the glutes together to lockout the movement, not moving your hips as far forward as possible. I would also not bounce because you are going into spinal flexion at the bottom which puts tremendous overload on the l4-l5's. Make sure your back is completely flat and it stays locked in that position all the way up.

My Squat..

OK, you can't see how fat I am here too bad so I thought I'd post it :) My stomach isn't as big as it looks, it's how my shirt is hanging, honest! I'm a dork.

Anyhow- Before people say I'm not going butt-to-ground let me say this... Phil is my trainer and he has me do 80% ROM (and from my Kine background I agree with his statement that you have about a 10% carry-over in strength/muscle activation at whatever ROM you use). Even though I "pause" at the top a couple of times, I keep my knee's bent about 10% to keep constant tension (I try to keep them 20% bent but don't always make it). Also at my height (6'1) I think it's better for my joints all around if I'm thinking years down the road for health as well.

No, I'm not wearing a belt. With proper form I don't think you need one unless you have a prior injury or muscle weakness that can potentially cause injury.

OK, I'm talking too much, I should have just posted the dumb video already :)

YouTube - Squat

great set though.

Tony - this is exactly what I would have said. Slow negative, pause, then drive the weight...

JM

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear