over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lets critique proper form

??

What happened to this thread? Everyone was all excited for it... Hey I posted my fat self, haha, so c'mon now haha

Let's discuss proper form for Dumbbell Stiff leg deadlifts... anyone care to chime in??? Targeting hamstrings only...

OK, you can't see how fat I am here too bad so I thought I'd post it :) My stomach isn't as big as it looks, it's how my shirt is hanging, honest! I'm a dork.

Anyhow- Before people say I'm not going butt-to-ground let me say this... Phil is my trainer and he has me do 80% ROM (and from my Kine background I agree with his statement that you have about a 10% carry-over in strength/muscle activation at whatever ROM you use). Even though I "pause" at the top a couple of times, I keep my knee's bent about 10% to keep constant tension (I try to keep them 20% bent but don't always make it). Also at my height (6'1) I think it's better for my joints all around if I'm thinking years down the road for health as well.

No, I'm not wearing a belt. With proper form I don't think you need one unless you have a prior injury or muscle weakness that can potentially cause injury.

OK, I'm talking too much, I should have just posted the dumb video already :)

YouTube - Squat

You arn't hitting 120 degree depth( ie parallel) but if you are happy with the depth good. You are leading with your knees and not your hips(knees go to far forward). Your lower back is going into flexion(its rounding) either because you have weak erectors, weak transverse abdominus or could be from lack of hamstring flexibility. There is plenty more but its hard to assess without seeing what your knees and ankle are doing during the movement.

Let's discuss proper form for Dumbbell Stiff leg deadlifts... anyone care to chime in??? Targeting hamstrings only...

I would do Romanians over stiff legs all day. You arn't meant to put the spine under load while its in flexion.

put 5lb plate under the front of your foot and it works 10x better. I cant feel my hamstrings unless my feet are eleveated like this.

its like putting the plate under your heels for squatting, but the opposite.

You arn't hitting 120 degree depth( ie parallel) but if you are happy with the depth good. You are leading with your knees and not your hips(knees go to far forward). Your lower back is going into flexion(its rounding) either because you have weak erectors, weak transverse abdominus or could be from lack of hamstring flexibility. There is plenty more but its hard to assess without seeing what your knees and ankle are doing during the movement.

Thanks for the input P, I may have to shoot another video in the cage for better viewing. I watched it again, I couldn't see the flexion you were referring to and my knee's pretty much stay in line with my big toe. Yes, again for depth, I try to keep a 90 degree angle at the hip and knee and that's it. Phil is my trainer and he said the form was good (and believe me, when it's not, he has let me know!) haha

hmmm

put 5lb plate under the front of your foot and it works 10x better. I cant feel my hamstrings unless my feet are eleveated like this.

This sounds interesting.

Me doing deads last Friday. Finally figured out how to upload from the Ipod. Appreciate any help!

YouTube - deadlift 405x5

Please give some tips on how to correct anything you see as problematic. Please don't just say bad form... leave a little advice on how to fix. Thanx

Last edited:

I do this as well, much better stretch through the hams

Me doing deads last Friday. Finally figured out how to upload from the Ipod. Appreciate any help!

YouTube - deadlift 405x5

Please give some tips on how to correct anything you see as problematic. Please don't just say bad form... leave a little advice on how to fix. Thanx

those looked pretty solid to me :cool:

YouTube - deadlift 405x5

1st = dont do a roll and lift on the startup. bring bar close to you as possible in a set position, drop you ass a tad and lift.

2nd = drop your ass down just a tad more to help keep your back a tad straighter and more aligned.... does that make sense to you?

good lift now lets see you progessively work up to 495 x 5 ;)

those looked pretty solid to me :cool:

much appreciated!

1st = dont do a roll and lift on the startup. bring bar close to you as possible in a set position, drop you ass a tad and lift.

2nd = drop your ass down just a tad more to help keep your back a tad straighter and more aligned.... does that make sense to you?

good lift now lets see you progessively work up to 495 x 5 ;)

Working on it! I felt like my ass needs to be lower and it makes perfect sense.

Thanks guys, makes me feel good getting some advice and encouraging words from some of the most respected bros on here!:D

much appreciated!

Working on it! I felt like my ass needs to be lower and it makes perfect sense.

Thanks guys, makes me feel good getting some advice and encouraging words from some of the most respected bros on here!:D

I know this is a preference thing, but i feel it is best to lift each rep as a true deadlift. I prefer to put the bar down, reset it and pull it from a dead hang each repetition. i might get less reps, but i feel i get more out of them.

OK, you can't see how fat I am here too bad so I thought I'd post it :) My stomach isn't as big as it looks, it's how my shirt is hanging, honest! I'm a dork.

Anyhow- Before people say I'm not going butt-to-ground let me say this... Phil is my trainer and he has me do 80% ROM (and from my Kine background I agree with his statement that you have about a 10% carry-over in strength/muscle activation at whatever ROM you use). Even though I "pause" at the top a couple of times, I keep my knee's bent about 10% to keep constant tension (I try to keep them 20% bent but don't always make it). Also at my height (6'1) I think it's better for my joints all around if I'm thinking years down the road for health as well.

No, I'm not wearing a belt. With proper form I don't think you need one unless you have a prior injury or muscle weakness that can potentially cause injury.

OK, I'm talking too much, I should have just posted the dumb video already :)

YouTube - Squat

Your lower back is rounding at the bottom of every rep, and I wouldn't exactly call that the 80% zone..phil might have something different or be ok with it, just to me that's not 80%
Also you need new shoes, you seem to be on your toes
Good job never the less

YouTube - deadlift 405x5

Your back is completely rounded on each rep. You want your lower back neutral and straight even slightly arched as if you were doing a back ext on each rep. Go to TESTOSTERONE MUSCLE | The Intelligent and Relentless Pursuit of Muscle and look up dissecting the deadlift articles. Rounding puts you in a weaker position and leaves you very succeptable to injury, I've been there and done that.

Your back is completely rounded on each rep. You want your lower back neutral and straight even slightly arched as if you were doing a back ext on each rep. Go to TESTOSTERONE MUSCLE | The Intelligent and Relentless Pursuit of Muscle and look up dissecting the deadlift articles. Rounding puts you in a weaker position and leaves you very succeptable to injury, I've been there and done that.

haha, I like how everyone has a different view. my belt is sticking out on my lower back, I don't neccessarily think it's completely rounded.

each person sees form differently and I appreciate your input. I will note it and try to keep my back a little straighter, but I mus disagree with the completely rounded part. b-boy said it should be a "tad" straighter and shelby said it looked solid so I'm pretty happy with that. but I will get it straighter

haha, I like how everyone has a different view. my belt is sticking out on my lower back, I don't neccessarily think it's completely rounded.

each person sees form differently and I appreciate your input. I will note it and try to keep my back a little straighter, but I mus disagree with the completely rounded part. b-boy said it should be a "tad" straighter and shelby said it looked solid so I'm pretty happy with that. but I will get it straighter

A tad more rounded can get you injured... Looking at your video, your body from your hips to your upper neck(deep cervical flexors) should make a straight line, no mending or bending.There are plenty of people that will say your form is great, most of them haven't been injured doing it before( severely at least). IF they have and they are still lifting that way then they have serious issues. Knowing why your form isn't pristine on something as technical as a deadlift requires a good amount of knowledge. I would also maybe send your vid to Eric Cressey and see what he thinks, even check out Rippetoe's videos. Link is to a .pdf file but will explain how much extra load you put in the lumbar disc region when you are even slightly rounded.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

It's actually REALLY rounded..I gota agree with Pericles...drop the weight and work on your form..I am doing this now and I wish I had done it sooner..I had to start all the way over with 2 plates..it sucks but it's better in the long run

You guys would freak out at Branch Warren's deadlift form.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws