over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Let's Hear Your 'Weird' Exercises

I do "Jefferson squats" every other leg day. No idea why they are called this btw.

I've never seen Paul lie on the bench like you normally would for this exercise. Is there something about going sideways that makes the exercise more effective?
If you are using any amount of weight you have to do it like he is or it will pull you back. I do it like him and throw a dumbbell on the ground to put my in to keep me stable.

weird exercise?...how about the very first time you laid eyes on this

View attachment 113303
That kind of looks like the machine Sigourney Weaver jumped into in the movie "Aliens" so she could fight the big pissed off Momma Alien.

Not weird to anyone here but overhead pullovers for chest. I get asked about them regularly.

I never understood why anyone did them any other way lol. To me, the 'old school' way of doing it lying across the bench just looks like an accident waiting to happen. I never see anyone do pullovers anymore, sad. I did them lying normal with cables the other day. No one else in the gym, so I looked like a dumbass all by my lonesome.

The purpose of laying across the bench is so you can drop the hips lower than the pad will allow.

I see all these coaches like Charles glass trying to invent the wheel with weird exercises when old school bodybuilders just stick to the basic and made it.. its more of a commercialized training now..

I see all these coaches like Charles glass trying to invent the wheel with weird exercises when old school bodybuilders just stick to the basic and made it.. its more of a commercialized training now..
i feel like every time Charles Glass shows some new exercise he came up with (and it's usually on a machine and still actually a very basic movement) everyone acts like "OMG!!!!! this is the greatest exercise for _____ in history!". I've seen him have Dexter stand against a curl machine and go the opposite way for a tricep extension and it's supposed to be an "aha" moment, except he could simply have him use an actual tricep extension machine. If he said it was because the machine extension hurt his elbow i guess i could buy it but imo it's still nothing extraordinary. He used to also place a pad under a guy's ass while doing the seated cable row like it was some mind-blowing discovery and the movement that would make your back explode...yeah ok. I'm sure he's a great trainer, though and he had a great physique when he competed.

i feel like every time Charles Glass shows some new exercise he came up with (and it's usually on a machine and still actually a very basic movement) everyone acts like "OMG!!!!! this is the greatest exercise for _____ in history!". I've seen him have Dexter stand against a curl machine and go the opposite way for a tricep extension and it's supposed to be an "aha" moment, except he could simply have him use an actual tricep extension machine. If he said it was because the machine extension hurt his elbow i guess i could buy it but imo it's still nothing extraordinary. He used to also place a pad under a guy's ass while doing the seated cable row like it was some mind-blowing discovery and the movement that would make your back explode...yeah ok. I'm sure he's a great trainer, though and he had a great physique when he competed.

Obviously some people like to constantly do/try different things and it keeps them interested and excited about training so it's not a bad thing. Moreover little tweaks in form can make a difference (sometimes big) to overall development/results. But I have to say when I watch some of his stuff just utter nonsense. As you posted everyone acts like they are now going to grow 3 inches more on their arms because they are stood away from a machine and doing it backwards with less weight than before. I can't even remember what it was now but I saw one video with Dexter and he literally had him doing the simpliest thing. The funny thing was Dexter was going OMG and this man is a genuis and what a difference. All I could think was Dexter has been training for decades and how has he not done it himself in the gym one day. I can't even remember what it was because it was such a simple thing. It's also because I have seen so many of their videos.

Now this is not to say he is not a good trainer but it's literally got to the point with some people were they constantly just try to think new shit up so they stand out in an already oversaturated market. IG is full of this stuff and because everything has been done before the new stuff gets more weird and silly all the time.

Now regarding the thread I have pretty much tried everything posted. I watch training videos daily and I am in the gym all the time so over the years I have experimented a lot and used to copy what I see and make new stuff up all the time. After all of that my training is very basic which tells me the basics tend to be the best. Although even when using basic movements they can all be performed in many different ways. So I am a big believer in perfecting form as opposed to just trying to create new exercises. In many cases guys change the form but they are so desperate to be known they market the new form as a new exercise.

So you have the basic/core exercises that many do but little tweaks in form to suit your body can lead to a big difference. That's not to say some very "weird exercise" may not be great for you either. But for me it's more about perfecting the basics as opposed to using a machine backwards with a pad up my arse and half the weight with my pinky finger sticking out.

To display what I mean one of my typical back workouts is probably a good example. Meaning I use different movements but I am aware of all the different muscles and how to fully engage each one with each particular movement. I could do one simple exercise such as a seated cable row 20 different ways to ellicit a different response. From the angle you pull back to the attachment you use etc etc. But I don't do this just to be different and make the angle awkward so have to use less weight etc. You see trainers on IG do this all the time and essentially make a good movement into a fluff one just so it looks different for the gram.

Ok so for seated cable rows if my lats were my primary focus I would likely do the movement unilaterally. I would pull back with my elbows tucked in and drive my elbow backwards. I would perform the movement one side at a time so I can engage each lat as effectively as possible. I may even touch my lat with the other hand to help create a better mind muscle connection as some struggle to do this with certain muscles (especially lats). It also means the potential to move up the stack is there because with 2 arms I would be stacking it but with one arm I have plenty of room to move up in weight as my strength in the movement progresses.

Sorry for the long post but just to finish the main reason I did used to modify machines is simply because the gym may be very limited. So in that event doing stuff like standing leg curls in the leg extension machine or calf raises in the lying leg curl machine can be a good alternative.

I was thinking about this thread again when training back. As I posted above I always look at ways to improve form but some of my back movements are a good example of getting more weird with things because of subpar results doing things the standard ways. One example are pulldowns and I when doing standard ones I always do them one arm at a time. However not with single handles but a standard pulldown bar I grip both sides but I only bring down the side I plan to work. So for my right side I bring down my right elbow towards my waist. I get a much better connection doing them this way (the same for unilateral pulldowns and rows). I also like to do behind the back barbell (or Smith) shrugs which I suppose is not a common movement these days.

I never understood why anyone did them any other way lol. To me, the 'old school' way of doing it lying across the bench just looks like an accident waiting to happen. I never see anyone do pullovers anymore, sad. I did them lying normal with cables the other day. No one else in the gym, so I looked like a dumbass all by my lonesome.

I do them all the time. I started doing them in 1980. Best to do at end of workouts for that nice stretch to me.

Seated cable curl variation

- Go to a FreeMotion Shoulder Press

- Attach handles with no slack to the cable attachments

- Select resistance

- Sit at the edge of the seat and lean your torso forward

- Grab the handles and curl while keeping your elbows back and slightly up

- At the top of the movement your fists should be next to you pecs like in a drag curl

- Lower and repeat

I really like the free motion machines. I use them all the time.

The guy who invented them is named Charles Jefferson
This guy?

hqdefault.jpg

Oh wait, that's George Jefferson.

I agree. It’s a bunch of nonsense. I will admit I do like the weighted hip thrust machine for butt. It looks like you’re humping a ghost that’s riding you reverse cowgirl style. I can’t squat or do lunges any more due to my knees and back, so these build my glutes real well. I tried to squat with only the bar and it wasn’t happening.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear