over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Let's talk about SALT

RONJON

Kilo Klub Member
Okay I have heard quite a few people lately one being Kirk Fontenot, NGA top professional bodybuilder talk about how salt is one if..if not THE MOST important supplement we can add to our bodybuilding repertoire.

He talks about how if at the right level and right times it is so powerful and that it is the simple things in life that we overlook that are the most important yada yada...

Can someone break this down..as far as timing, proper sodium level, the idea of salt cycling?...

Thought the concept was pretty interesting

RJ

I would only assume he's speaking of the essential nutrient Iodine, some table salt this nutrient is removed for reasons I douno?

Iodine plays many roles in the body, one of the most important is thyroid function, If deficient this will set one up for the possibility of hypothyriodism.
Iodine stimulates both Thyroxine T⁴ and Triidothronine T³.

I believe the body stores 1.5 grams beyond that its excreted, but once depleted or deficient, again possible hypothyriodism in return effects the rest of the endocrine system.

Iodine is bound in the blood so unlike sodium it doesn't act intracellular , where water retention becomes unhealthy never the less.

Most multi vitamins have 180mcg in them, but is there really? We would only hope or think we're getting our DRV of this nutrient by supplementing with a multi.

Fluoride depletes Iodine,a lot of our foods, water and daily products have fluoride in it.

Last edited:
Good post.

I am curios as well about salt.

Chip

Okay I have heard quite a few people lately one being Kirk Fontenot, NGA top professional bodybuilder talk about how salt is one if..if not THE MOST important supplement we can add to our bodybuilding repertoire.

He talks about how if at the right level and right times it is so powerful and that it is the simple things in life that we overlook that are the most important yada yada...

Can someone break this down..as far as timing, proper sodium level, the idea of salt cycling?...

Thought the concept was pretty interesting

RJ

From a athletic performance standpoint as well as Bodybuilding , pre-competition aspect too. Sodium if used in concert with sufficient water intake can aid in muscular/strength performance as well as set you up nicely for "peaking" for a contest.

In off-season, people get "lazy" and do not measure water intake, eat wayyyy more loose and the sodium to fluid intake ratio becomes problematic. Unnecessary fluid retention will occur.

When eating super clean and being precise with water + sodium ingestion you do 2 things:

1.) high fluid lowered ADHH (anti-diuretic-hormone)
2.) high sodium lowers aldosterone hormone

This also keeps the lean, low bodyfat athlete hydrated intra-and extra cellular which prevents cramping and tears (to a greater degree)

Interesting...

I know that I was taking in a TON of sodium and when I came down this summer to try and "get in shape" my friend and competitive bodybuilder told me that most of what I said was fat was in actuality water. I was holding a lot of water.

Well I have switched to salt substitutes and am eating less processed food etc. and my waist has come down a whole lot in a pretty short time.

I know that keeping salt high and water high can help keep the joints lubricated for heavy lifting, but i like the way my body is starting to look and its really hard for me (mentally) to use salt now.

I guess I am really trying to break down the specs as far as off-season vs dieting with salt. All i know is that I was watching a youtube and they were making a big deal about manipulating the salt intake so I was curious.

Interesting...

I know that I was taking in a TON of sodium and when I came down this summer to try and "get in shape" my friend and competitive bodybuilder told me that most of what I said was fat was in actuality water. I was holding a lot of water.

Well I have switched to salt substitutes and am eating less processed food etc. and my waist has come down a whole lot in a pretty short time.

I know that keeping salt high and water high can help keep the joints lubricated for heavy lifting, but i like the way my body is starting to look and its really hard for me (mentally) to use salt now.

I guess I am really trying to break down the specs as far as off-season vs dieting with salt. All i know is that I was watching a youtube and they were making a big deal about manipulating the salt intake so I was curious.

certain AAS skew your mineralcorticoid levels (think nandrolone) which effects sodium retention etc...

When DIETING, and carbs are lowered, I feel its imperative to have sodium more than adequate with high fluids to compensate. You excrete at high capacity.

Androgens DO play a role in retaining water, and that is why alot of NON natural Bodybuilders use diuretics even at extremely low bodyfat levels. Yes, the fat is gone but Diuretics actually can be advantageous to sesitive individuals.

How lean were you when you used sufficient sodium in diet? How was your water intake exactly?

certain AAS skew your mineralcorticoid levels (think nandrolone) which effects sodium retention etc...

When DIETING, and carbs are lowered, I feel its imperative to have sodium more than adequate with high fluids to compensate. You excrete at high capacity.

Androgens DO play a role in retaining water, and that is why alot of NON natural Bodybuilders use diuretics even at extremely low bodyfat levels. Yes, the fat is gone but Diuretics actually can be advantageous to sesitive individuals.

How lean were you when you used sufficient sodium in diet? How was your water intake exactly?

Not sure ...probably well over 100 oz per day. I was maybe around 18% (but again not sure if it was less and actually just more water retention). I was not using AAS and I always have done this because of the water retention lubricating the joints...seriously though since ive cut down the sodium I am looking WAYYYY more ripped. I will post pics hopefully by the weekend.

Yea i definitely didn't know the importance of salt at certain levels and how a natural bodybuilder SHOULD manipulate its imput...That is the mission

..i have always really not paid salt any mind and used as much as ive wanted in the past

I take a tsp of salt every day to meet my RDA since I eat non-processed foods and my sodium intake level is low. I take other electrolite minerals as well. I believe this has been a key ingredient im beig able to train as hard as I do.

I take a tsp of salt every day to meet my RDA since I eat non-processed foods and my sodium intake level is low. I take other electrolite minerals as well. I believe this has been a key ingredient im beig able to train as hard as I do.

Can you explain this? I always thought that more sodium = more water in muscles = better workouts, better strength, and better anabolism. Now I see some bodybuilders recommend lower sodium diets... Why is this? And why do you feel that a lower sodium diet has helped you to workout harder?

I say.

Dont bother with sodium.

Eat NON processed foods(No sodium) at all.

Take 2 Multi-vitamins Daily.

Remember if you eat a good amount of Foods, theres still sodium naturally in there.

The more you try to do things, the more you have a chance to fuck up something.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear