YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lets talk about weight training fasted (Not IF)

You can't be training very intensely if you are able to go without a meal for that long after a workout. If I'm not downing a protein carb shake within 30 mins or so I'm dizzy and feeling nauseous.

so someone cant train intensely and not eat for an hour or 2?

i take it youve never tried it....more than once or twice

ive done it both ways and i like fasted better....the op seems to like not having to eat prewo....whatever works right?

so someone cant train intensely and not eat for an hour or 2?

i take it youve never tried it....more than once or twice

ive done it both ways and i like fasted better....the op seems to like not having to eat prewo....whatever works right?
All I can think about post workout is food. I have 100g intra workout carbs a big bowl of rice and mince steak after and im still starving 1 hour later and eating again. Especially after doing 20 rep squats. I like to feed the hunger and the muscle. I could manage it on arm and shoulder day if I left shrugs out that's about it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I prefer empty stomach training nowadays, probably have for the last year or better.

Just drink me a zero calorie caffiene mix, and away I go at 4 am before work.

Then it's a shake, eggs, and oatmeal PWO/breakfast and ready to start the day roarin!

I have been working out first thing in the morning for a couple of years now .the only food I consume pre workout is 25 grams of whey isolate.i am just as strong in the morning as I was when I used to train in the afternoon

Then you're not training fasted

If you are taking a bunch of BCAA before fasted AM weight training or cardio, you are SPIKING YOUR INSULIN and diminishing the entire point. 10g of BCAA mix will spike insulin like straight glucose. That is a fact. This hinders a lot of the lipolysis and beneficial metabolic effects of fasted training.

Save the BCAA for post workout if you must take them. The whole idea that you go "catabolic" instantly and lose muscle training fasted is bunk broscience. Don't spike insulin before fasted training if your goal is max lipolysis.

Personally, I eat donuts and hate training in the AM, but I read a lot, K.

Can anyone else confirm this? That's kind of a big deal if taking bcaa's defeats the purpose. Thanks

I hate training after eating...I prefer to lift at 8-10 on empty stomach minus BCAA shake during which is only a few cals.

I am stronger on an empty stomach and can push more which is odd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone else confirm this? That's kind of a big deal if taking bcaa's defeats the purpose. Thanks

Bcaa are highly insulinogenic. A tin of tuna would do much better for a few aminos and very lithe insulin spike. I always find it odd when people have bcaa pre cardio. Just shoot some gh or peps and do that shit empty stomach 90 minutes later

I assume those of you that do this only do it when trying to burn bodyfat? I find it hard to believe you can build muscle training fasted. Please correct me if I am wrong

I assume those of you that do this only do it when trying to burn bodyfat? I find it hard to believe you can build muscle training fasted. Please correct me if I am wrong

I think you are 100 % correct depending on your level of development. That said if your getting stronger and in a calorie surplus then you could gain bit I highly doubt it would be optimal. I doubt many competitive bodybuilders use this approach

Last edited:
cardio fasted makes sense..

heavy, intense weight training while fasted does not...

I say this having made the mistake of attempting it first hand.. Go in and hit a hard barbell squat session with a 20 rep set or two at the end and try to make it 10 mins without pounding a pro/carb shake down.

you can't call it a success when you're a buck 75. you're not going to grow much larger training that way. You will plateau at 190lbs max going at it that way.

Last edited:
I love fasting cardio first thing in the morning. Actual lifting , no way .I feel like a bitch! no energy , strength is def down and I gas out around 45 min into session. Have done it plenty of times but won't do it again. Now I make it a point to have at least one full meal and shake in me then go in to the gym about1-2 hours later.

I say this having made the mistake of attempting it first hand.. Go in and hit a hard barbell squat session with a 20 rep set or two at the end and try to make it 10 mins without pounding a pro/carb shake down.

you can't call it a success when you're a buck 75. you're not going to grow much larger training that way. You will plateau at 190lbs max going at it that way.

False I have gone from 155 to 220 at my peak(felt a little watery) recouped to 210 ATM. That's over a 2.5 yrs and I train fasted 90% of the time.

Also there are plenty of times where I train hard enough where food is the last thing I want becuae my stomach doesn't feel good and I am just roasted. But to each their own

Bcaa are highly insulinogenic. A tin of tuna would do much better for a few aminos and very lithe insulin spike. I always find it odd when people have bcaa pre cardio. Just shoot some gh or peps and do that shit empty stomach 90 minutes later

This guy gets it!

OP here, Im very glad this thread has gotten a conversation moving... I for one had no idea BCAAs could cause such an insulin spike!

Ok here is a question... assuming a goal of fat loss.

Would it be best to have a simple whey shake POST fasted lifting and a sold P+C meal 60 mins after that or have the P+C meal right after the workout?

Also, drop carbs off later in the day in the 2-3 meals after workout, or have some carbs in pre-bed meal for workout the next morning? Calories would be in check for the goal, just more a question of nutrient timing in relation to the workout window and the pre-bed time period.

OP here, Im very glad this thread has gotten a conversation moving... I for one had no idea BCAAs could cause such an insulin spike!

Ok here is a question... assuming a goal of fat loss.

Would it be best to have a simple whey shake POST fasted lifting and a sold P+C meal 60 mins after that or have the P+C meal right after the workout?

Also, drop carbs off later in the day in the 2-3 meals after workout, or have some carbs in pre-bed meal for workout the next morning? Calories would be in check for the goal, just more a question of nutrient timing in relation to the workout window and the pre-bed time period.

Do what works best for you so long as macros add up. I like carbs pre bed when training next day and sleep better too this way. I never have shakes when dieting as it's calories you can invest in solid food and fill your self up.
The timing of your carbs will not affect your fat loss only the total amount.

this is me correcting u

I am 260. Around 230 in contest shape at 6'0.

Doesn't seem to have hindered me a all.

Would I be better off doing things differently? Who knows, I train at 04:30 due to necessity so training fasted suits my schedule and time commitments.

if your maint cals are 3k and you train fasted....then eat 4k cals rest of the day....tell me whats gonna happen?

I am 260. Around 230 in contest shape at 6'0.

Doesn't seem to have hindered me a all.

Would I be better off doing things differently? Who knows, I train at 04:30 due to necessity so training fasted suits my schedule and time commitments.

Impressive. You don't find it hinders recovery? I guess your getting good calories post workout and compensating that way?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420