over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Let's Talk Calves

thats my calf now havent worked out claves in years..... like 10 plus years... even then was just minimal

@danieltx

I did 4 working sets SINGLe leg calves yesterday, and my inner gastrocnemius is wrecked. Like I’m walking funny

I made sure to stay on the ball of my foot.

I’m going to do a lot more single leg work from now on

Thanks Daniel and everyone who contributed to this thread, literally about a month ago I told myself I absolutely HAVE to start making calves a top priority and after reading this thread I have plenty of things to begin focusing on.

I will admit I've been one of those guys who took the easy street in regards to training calves in the past because I chalked it all up to genetics. It's the only body part that I had that sort of pussy beta mindset on, thinking "you either have em or you don't".

Perfect timing for this thread to check my ass. Time to get to work!

And I'm really surprised by DanielTx and the other guys in this thread who said training the tibialis anterior made a significant difference in their overall lower leg development. Have heard John Meadows talk about training the tibialis for years but honestly kind of called bullshit in my head and blew it off. Definitely going to start implementing training the tibialis on a regular basis.

i'm sure most gyms don't have that hammer strength tibia machine, but I just checked on titan fitness and they sell one for only like $175 or so. It's out of stock, but I'm cheap as hell so I know if I spend the money and get one i'll train them consistently

And I'm really surprised by DanielTx and the other guys in this thread who said training the tibialis anterior made a significant difference in their overall lower leg development. Have heard John Meadows talk about training the tibialis for years but honestly kind of called bullshit in my head and blew it off. Definitely going to start implementing training the tibialis on a regular basis.

i'm sure most gyms don't have that hammer strength tibia machine, but I just checked on titan fitness and they sell one for only like $175 or so. It's out of stock, but I'm cheap as hell so I know if I spend the money and get one i'll train them consistently
My gym has one but in the past when I was in a gym that didn’t I would take either a 25lb plate or dumbbell and elevate my heel and hold the weight on my toes and do the movement.

@danieltx

I did 4 working sets SINGLe leg calves yesterday, and my inner gastrocnemius is wrecked. Like I’m walking funny

I made sure to stay on the ball of my foot.

I’m going to do a lot more single leg work from now on
Just be careful that you dont roll that foot on accident. I think that might be what happens to me when I go single leg. When that happens, your foot will be wrecked the next day and then hurt for a week or more.

My gym has one but in the past when I was in a gym that didn’t I would take either a 25lb plate or dumbbell and elevate my heel and hold the weight on my toes and do the movement.
Meadows also has a YouTube video on tibialis training where he shows how to loop a band around a bench / chair / whatever and work your tibialis which can be just as brutal. That's what I did at home when gyms were closed last year.

Donkey calf raise machine has finally given me a noticeable muscle in the calf. I believe it’s the bottom stretch that does it as others have pointed out. It’s just harder for me to get that stretch on the sled or even the seated or standing raises. Once every 5 or so dads since I do a 2 on and 1 off 4 day split.

You wouldn’t train your triceps without training your biceps right? It’s important for the antagonistic muscles to be trained too if you want complete development

Just use a band. It’s what I do and works great. I also do toe raises with heavy weight on the leg press and it blows up my ribs. Put your feet up like your going to leg press, and press the platform up by raising your toes and driving tour heels into it

Not gonna lie. I haven’t trained calves since gyms closed. I find that doing them with a barbell I have balance issues and I’m worried about dropping my nice ass Chicago bar from shoulder height or just flat out falling over.
I do need to think of something since I also don’t have dumbbells that I can load past 95 lbs.
my best results were 2 sets to failure 2 to 3 times per week. 1 set standing and 1 seated 15 to 20 reps 3sec negative and holding the bottom stretch for 10 seconds.
I’d kill for a leg press or hack squat machine for my home gym.

You wouldn’t train your triceps without training your biceps right? It’s important for the antagonistic muscles to be trained too if you want complete development
Funny thing (drummer technical talk incoming) practicing rudiments on double pedals with very loose springs to build foot speed and control burns the fuck out of these by forcing you to move the foot without relying on spring rebound. 16th note singles and doubles at 220 bpm for 15 minutes and you’re crippled.
when I was a teen, my shins looked freaky because of how overdeveloped the tibialis was from hours and hours of trying to develop foot speed.

Funny thing (drummer technical talk incoming) practicing rudiments on double pedals with very loose springs to build foot speed and control burns the fuck out of these by forcing you to move the foot without relying on spring rebound. 16th note singles and doubles at 220 bpm for 15 minutes and you’re crippled.
when I was a teen, my shins looked freaky because of how overdeveloped the tibialis was from hours and hours of trying to develop foot speed.
There’s your answer to calf training while gyms are closed then, mate! Nail the triplets from Good Times, Bad Times and you’ll be jacked

Just use a band. It’s what I do and works great. I also do toe raises with heavy weight on the leg press and it blows up my ribs. Put your feet up like your going to leg press, and press the platform up by raising your toes and driving tour heels into it
I'm going to have to try this

Calves are hard for me. I have good calves, but I cannot train them. Even if I do like 3 hard sets in a workout. I am literally crippled sore for a week. Even with stretching, massage. It is bad. It makes it hard to train legs.

I'd leave the gym after like 3 sets of calves...my legs tremble

For me...I have good calves. Why train them if it just hinders everything else

calves i feel are something i have made progress with over the years. ppl often ask me about calves i tell them what i do and they walk away saying oh its just genetics. and im scratching my head going genetic what? lol

you guys cover it all here. i think the biggest difference is actually training them hard, not putting on a bunch of weight and going up and down.

the start of the rep is at the bottom, explode up and super slow down stretch for a while, then explode.

years back i remember talking with ph about this and he told me to try them on a smith machine just from the floor. before this for years i only did dc style. adding this change i actually feel was helpful and a good exercise that i keep in my rotation. i do other seated exercise with stretch. i generally just do one per leg day. i set as high as i can go or 3 sets same weight til fail but that works out to 20-30, 15-20. 10-15 with 60 seconds in between and stretching in the middle.

i like the load of the above and use it to work on posture/breathing/abbs. even just a plate on each side is a really good work out if done hard. i did use much more at other times though.

when i rode a bike regularly is when i feel they were there best, you need to play with the form of how you peddle but can be brutal.

Pro cyclist's calves. Looks like a cadavar in anatomy lab we had! Crazy lean.

leg1-1570793268.jpg

What the fuck am I looking at?
Thats basically what it looks like when you strip off the skin from the muscle. Peel it back, the fat comes with it, and you are left with muscle and fascia. Id use my fingers to blunt dissect and with some elbow grease you pull the skin and fat layer right off. This guy's lower leg looks like it has been dissected already.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear