over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Let's Talk Calves

Never mind. Tried to upload a video. Wouldn’t work

For those without a tib machine at your gym...this is how I do mine and I love them. Blows up my lower legs

Attachments

• DC5FAC1A-CE63-4B1F-A861-F139A645A31C.jpeg
    DC5FAC1A-CE63-4B1F-A861-F139A645A31C.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 50
It's genetics.
Raced bicycles, trained the crap out of them for years...Low reps-high reps. Is what it is....Sad story

Two to three times a week, flat footed, no stretch. 20 to 50 reps, hold at top about 3 sec. Last foto taken 3 months ago on vacation, not trained in 6 weeks. Not much I know but better than nothing . . .

Attachments

• 4E33614F-F09B-4EEB-93F9-558E4521F0BC.jpeg
    4E33614F-F09B-4EEB-93F9-558E4521F0BC.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 17F1D1B3-C208-4F0F-95C6-81B1E54AAB68.jpeg
    17F1D1B3-C208-4F0F-95C6-81B1E54AAB68.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 47
Two to three times a week, flat footed, no stretch. 20 to 50 reps, hold at top about 3 sec. Last foto taken 3 months ago on vacation, not trained in 6 weeks. Not much I know but better than nothing . . .
Man, is the rest of you that lean? Looks great.

One set?
I do calves first on leg day, one workout is seated, the other is on the leg press. What I do depends entirely on my mood.
It may be DC style rest pause, it may be DC style hold the stretch, it may be one set of 50 or so reps........
My calves aren't huge but they've come a long way from being skin stretched over bone.

dc had a great calf protocol..the biggest thing for me, i do calves multiple times a week and 3-4 lifts per session.. One day it clicked in my head that i would never expect my arms to grow from only one movement a week.So, i cant expect my calves to grow with that same formula.

It is so rare to see someone doing any calf training correctly IMO. Standing calf raises are rarely done in my gyms. Seated with a little to a lot of weight with a stretch and a little 1inch or so bounce is the norm, when they are not on their phone. I trained calves like most any other body part. Low -high reps with as much weight as i could. Granted in my younger days i was a dumbass training them like many are. But i tightened things up and made sure to get up on my toes/balls of my feet to actually get a full contraction. Getting a stretch is good, a full contraction is better. I am an old man now and my calves are down to 17.5 inches, but at 5' 6" they look OK. I pretty much have given up on seated calf raises. As after using them a lot over the decades i don't think they ever did much for me. Some of the new donkey calf raise machines are cool along with the hammer strength. I have mostly used the leg press and standing raises over the years

One set?
I do calves first on leg day, one workout is seated, the other is on the leg press. What I do depends entirely on my mood.
It may be DC style rest pause, it may be DC style hold the stretch, it may be one set of 50 or so reps........
My calves aren't huge but they've come a long way from being skin stretched over bone.
Thanks for the likes.

It’s all camera angle, trust me.

I do them on a Smith machine, flat footed or on a leg press machine or sometimes seated (rare).

My option is that the ‘stretch’ is highly overrated. My calves have improved more since I started doing them flat footed and holding the contracted position as high as I can, on my ‘tippy toes‘.

I usually train them two to three times a week, after legs and part of a full body routine. I do 2 - 3 sets of 20 - 50 reps.

dc had a great calf protocol..the biggest thing for me, i do calves multiple times a week and 3-4 lifts per session.. One day it clicked in my head that i would never expect my arms to grow from only one movement a week.So, i cant expect my calves to grow with that same formula.
I do claves 3-4 times weekly. I do 3 sets of 20 with a 5 second hold in the stretch position and I work towards progressive resistance on these. They hurt like absolute hell. And I superset each set with a set of 20 band tibia raises

Jamie does a nice Chewbacca impression during the first seated calf set. Nice socks as well.

JAMIE CHRISTIAN Calves Training

Stretch at the bottom and hold 3 seconds slowly lift with your calves until you are up on your toes ( to the some height you would be at if your were tryin to reach something on a high shelf) hold for 3 seconds . That one rep done correctly.And stop doing those bouncing calf raises that 99% of people do in the gym

Man, is the rest of you that lean? Looks great.

That lean? Yea, pretty much but some more than others 🙁

I usually train them twice a week with legs. I did put a half inch on mine doing a simple bodyweight workout once or twice a day on top of that. I do 5 single leg calf raise per leg on each stair leading up to my second floor in my house. I do pause at the stretch in the bottom and hold the pause at top. Minimum was 10 steps per time I did it. It’s something to try if the normal gym training is not producing what you want.

Attachments

• A26B6B40-D739-4EF1-949A-1016016381E8.jpeg
    A26B6B40-D739-4EF1-949A-1016016381E8.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 14
Stretch at the bottom and hold 3 seconds slowly lift with your calves until you are up on your toes ( to the some height you would be at if your were tryin to reach something on a high shelf) hold for 3 seconds . That one rep done correctly.And stop doing those bouncing calf raises that 99% of people do in the gym
So each rep will take between 6-9 seconds...how many reps are you doing per set with this tempo? I've done this style of training and it's brutal and definitely cannot use heavy weight.

I usually train them twice a week with legs. I did put a half inch on mine doing a simple bodyweight workout once or twice a day on top of that. I do 5 single leg calf raise per leg on each stair leading up to my second floor in my house. I do pause at the stretch in the bottom and hold the pause at top. Minimum was 10 steps per time I did it. It’s something to try if the normal gym training is not producing what you want.

I have read reports of one person making significant gains on just one legged calf raises done as you suggest. This is an often neglected or overlooked exercise using just body weight.

I have very seen before before and after fotos and they were amazing. He was using very high reps also, the number escapes me at the moment but not the gains made.

I remember him saying that they were exscurating(sp) to perform and took a lot of concentration to endure the pain / burn.

He did them standing on a thick phone book (haha) indoors, in a doorway, holding on to the door for support.

Yours look great by the way.

So each rep will take between 6-9 seconds...how many reps are you doing per set with this tempo? I've done this style of training and it's brutal and definitely cannot use heavy weight.

This is basically exactly what I do as well
3 second stretch , 3 seconds to rise , 3 second squeeze at the top then 3 second back down to the stretch
So 12 second for each rep , I do three sets to failure with toes in , toes out and toes neutral.
I posted it on the first page with a pic

This is basically exactly what I do as well
3 second stretch , 3 seconds to rise , 3 second squeeze at the top then 3 second back down to the stretch
So 12 second for each rep , I do three sets to failure with toes in , toes out and toes neutral.
I posted it on the first page with a pic
how many reps are you typically getting per set?

I have read reports of one person making significant gains on just one legged calf raises done as you suggest. This is an often neglected or overlooked exercise using just body weight.

I have very seen before before and after fotos and they were amazing. He was using very high reps also, the number escapes me at the moment but not the gains made.

I remember him saying that they were exscurating(sp) to perform and took a lot of concentration to endure the pain / burn.

He did them standing on a thick phone book (haha) indoors, in a doorway, holding on to the door for support.

Yours look great by the way.
I was doing them like that on a calf block I own, but strapped on up to 90 lbs. It ended up hurting my foot bad enough that I had to stop and go back to both legs at once. Hurt the arch and other areas in the foot.

I may attempt it again in the future, but add weight much slower.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws