over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Leucine in between meals

gshoty

Registered
Thinking about buying some bcaas to use in between meals for the leucine mostly. Has anyone had experience with this and seen benefits with a regime like this?

thx

Are you already getting the highest quality food/PED's that you can and money is not the issue? If so, why not.

However, I have a difficult time believing this would provide a HUGE benefit unless you were ultra low calorie/body fat at the time.

There are benefits to things like this, but I don't think it will change your life.

Leucine increase the anabolic response of food. I think it's best used 10 min before a meal or as part of peri-workout nutrition.

In between meals it would cause a small insulin spike. This may be detrimental on a low carb diet as it could cause a shift to using protein as fuel. If you wanted to do something to reduce the chance of catabolism during meals, I'd use 10gm of whey with 5gm of leucine.

Thinking about buying some bcaas to use in between meals for the leucine mostly. Has anyone had experience with this and seen benefits with a regime like this?

thx
this is what I do on off days from the gym, on training days they are taken at key times. :lightbulb:

leucine is a great supp.

it activates m-tor pathways, and signals the body to not breakdown muscle tissue. in theory by adding leucine one could cut back on there food intake due to the mtor activation, I have found better to not due this if you want or are hold supraphysiological size and include it as a between meal sup as suggested.

I would buy pure leucine and deal with bcaa's separate.

leucine is a great supp.

it activates m-tor pathways, and signals the body to not breakdown muscle tissue. in theory by adding leucine one could cut back on there food intake due to the mtor activation, I have found better to not due this if you want or are hold supraphysiological size and include it as a between meal sup as suggested.

I would buy pure leucine and deal with bcaa's separate.

Why bcaa's? Leucine activates mtor, but you need EAA's to complete the equation.

Why bcaa's? Leucine activates mtor, but you need EAA's to complete the equation.

that's what I don't get about leucine supplementation. If you use it to activate mtor, but there's no other protein there, isn't it pointless? Don't you need the other aminos to actually do something with your activated mtor?

Wouldn't just drinking a protein shake be way more effective?

I've been using 5g leucine before every meal for maybe a year now. I don't know if it helps or not, but it doesn't hurt so I do it. There are too many scientific studies in MD magazine that make me think I need it.

I did a little searching and cannot find the exact study but it showed that as we age the amount of leucine needed to trigger a mtor response equal to that of a younger individual increases. I do not remember the exact numbers but I believe what 2g dose achieved in subjects in their twenties took up to 6g to replicate in those subjects 50 or 60 years of age.

My numbers might be a little off but that was the gist of it. The take home here is as we age supplementing with leucine become more important. If you are in your 20's and perhaps 30's it might not make a huge difference but certainly isnt going to hinder gains. To some one looking for a boost in their 40-50's and dose not want to up the drugs you might see more gains than the younger guys.

I just mentioned them as the OP had asked...

personally I just use alanine and leucine.

supplementing with 5g or so of leucine every few hours seems to have a different effect to protein. the excess protein could lead to increased inflammation and a number of other things that leucine alone dose not.

there are studies that show older men where able to gain signifigant amounts of muscle over the control while using leucine.

it can crash blood sugar though.

being that it actives mtor, it also has anti-cancer properties...

Been a few years now took leucine always 10 to 15 minutes be4.meals bccas always took separate.now a days its just bccas and my other supplements.

i think liquid beef aminos would be a better choice.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear