over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

LEVRONE'S TRAINING...

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
i am always going over old notes that i write down for the mags. that is what i sometimes post. i just came across something you might find some interest in. a few years back i had the opportunity to chat awhile with old kevin levrone. of course it always came back to training. now, everyone knows that levrone is know for his awesome delt development. i asked him basic questions regarding off season training and pre contest. kevin is also know for taking extended time periods away from the gym.
anyway , when he described his training i was amazed that he did no, or almost no, delt training. he did basic exercises in the chest department such as bench and inclines. nothing else. back consisted of barbell rows and pulldowns. most were done over fives sets a piece. legs were leg presses and squats, hammies were standing leg curls and stiff leggeds. arms were very basic with bi's getting db curls and machine preachers with triceps getting pushdowns and over head extensions.
delts got no direct work until before the contest. usually 6 weeks before... he believed that the delts received too much stimulation through out the week to blast them again with direct work. he believes that delts can only take so much work and six weeks worth was about it. now we have to remember that levrone consistantly works up to over 500 pounds in the bench press and over 405 in the incline. he rows up to 455 pounds and over 300 pound pulldowns ect. so you can see that the rear and front delts are taking a big beating. he felt that the arms could take direct work because they were a smaller muscle group and could recover a little better. he only worked out three to four days a week and only modified it before a contest to work in the delt work.
when i asked him about a recent delt workout written in a bodybuilding that had in doing every exercise in the book.. he smiled and said "no comment".

Nice to see Levrone's training is A LOT like mine, almost identical. Except I hit delts weekly. :D

Lats.......keep up the good work.

I am hoping you don't get too busy to post on this board. I just read your post to a couple of my close friends [who are watching " a beautiful mind" ] I always get a kick out of your posts. Always good info.

i only do some side laterals so i don't feel guilty about not training them. they are one of my best bodyparts. i feel the same as levrone.

JETHRO

you dont need to worry about me not posting. i lead a very boring life. lol seriously i have a ton of notes that i never bothered to have published and will post them regular. i am sure i feel the same way as the other mods, meaning that big a asked me to help out and i was honored that he asked. so, like the other mods , i am here to stay......or at least until big a finds out that i always wanted to dance back up for boy george....did i say that out loud????

Re: JETHRO

LATS said:
until big a finds out that i always wanted to dance back up for boy george....did i say that out loud????

:D :D

Re: JETHRO

LATS said:
or at least until big a finds out that i always wanted to dance back up for boy george....did i say that out loud????

:eek:

Actually, I am the one using aqua dumbells, so I shouldn't comment :D

in the video Road to Olympia 2000, all leverone did was train delts......... he was doing smith military, both front and back .. and he was doing side lateral raises and front delt raises

I don't think Levrone doesn't train his shoulders, come on, be real....

He is still my favourite, and i like him more than Ronnie. But, the probodybuilders tell so much "crap" so the people are amazed with every new thing they discover about there training. I think they train basic, and the high doses of steriods would do the rest.

Geoffke said:
I don't think Levrone doesn't train his shoulders, come on, be real....

He is still my favourite, and i like him more than Ronnie. But, the probodybuilders tell so much "crap" so the people are amazed with every new thing they discover about there training. I think they train basic, and the high doses of steriods would do the rest.

well why not! hes shoulders get alot of beating from the chest workouts + that he have some major genetics from building delts

WELL, LIKE i said he does train delts right before a show so that is why he is seen training them in the battle for the olympia. as for it being hard to believe that he does not train delts....i can tell you first hand that mike christian (i am dating my self a little here) did not train delts at all in the off season...that i know to be 100% true. if one just remembers that the front delts are a "primary mover" of most chest exercises. and the rear delts are a "primary mover" in the lat work... most exercise phys will tell ya there are no real secondary movers in most exercises. what i mean by this is that the bench press is not a strictly isolation movement of the chest. one does not go through a full range of motion for the chest. the front delts are also sharing the brunt of the load. same as in the lat work in regards to the rear delts.
the basis of this post was not to say do not do delt work. it was basically to say that they take a beating all week long. we generally do not see chest work as shoulder work...but it is. no two ways around it. remeber that charles pouliquin, (one of the most sought after trainers in the world) has said that he does not advise much if any direct delt work for most of his athletes because of over use. only the advance bodybuilder should do isolation delt work in his opinion. even then, he usually recomends only rear delt isolation movement and a overhead press.... so it is just something to think about.

BOY GEORGE?!?!? :D

I have senn Leverone train many times and Lats is basically correct. I used to go to his gym. He'd start 12wks out from a contest-untrained and 235lbs soft. Hed train and the next time you saw him he'd be huge-it was unreal. He basically bulks and diets at the some time during those 12wks. Why-because he is a genetic freak. Who else could do that-and own delts like that without training them? Those weights are reall too, except the pulldowns (his machines at his gym dont go past 250lbs).
For freaks like Kevin-dont take his advice. Everything works for them and makes them grow. A hardgainer is more likely to give good advice on training/diet tips.

That said-Im also proud and honored to be a mod here like Lats just explained. Im here to stay too-like it or not! :eek:

YOU KNOW MIKES I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING. HE GAVE ME HIS WEIGHTS WHICH ARE CORRECT BUT, BEING GYM OWNER I HAVE SEEN ALL THE MACHINES OUT THERE. HIS PULLDOWN MACHINE IS A AFS MACHINE AND THE STACK DOES ONLY GO TO 250. BUT, WATCHING HIM USE THAT 250 IS LIKE CHILDS PLAY TO HIM. LOL

Lats and Mike.

I couldn't help but notice that you guys mentioned that you've been to Levrone's gym. Are either or the both of you out of Maryland? I'm a Baltimoron and I'd love to meet with ya to throw some iron if you're nearby. I'll even cash in my 401-K and buy supper after we get done demolishing a gym of your choice. lol.

BIGKRAUT-check your PM dude.

I WISH I WAS. WOULD LOVE TO TAKE A WORKOUT WITH YA. i was at levrones a while back. nice gym. you can tell he put the equipment choices in....well equipped.

Hmm

Why dont we have a MD Lifting day. I know Im down, im a youngerster 23, but Im down to do something.

VITOR

vitor said:
Why dont we have a MD Lifting day. I know Im down, im a youngerster 23, but Im down to do something.

PM ME TOO PLEASE! LET ME KNOW YOUR DETAILS...

Got it, Mike. Back at ya!

Lats, if you're ever in the area, let me know. We'll try to do some damage!

I'm down with the Maryland Day idea. That sounds like a plan.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear