over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lifting after surgery

Csims22

Registered
I'm having shoulder surgery on Wednesday to remove bone spurs and repair my labrum. I've read here that some people who have shoulder surgery have lifted with the opposite side, supposedly to minimize atrophy on the injured side. Has anybody done this, or heard this? And are there any studies to substantiate it?

Thoughts..

I had major shoulder surgery aug 2012 and had to take a entire year off lifting on that side, I prob could have lifted on the right side but figured I'd just take a break. Considering I competed the last 3 years straight.

But as strange as it is I'm also having shoulder surgery this week on the right side now. And have thought about doing this to decrease atrophy myself, and helps keep hotmail levels up and get your body rid of the anesthesia.

Good luck

Went to a Dr that was a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. Had his own practice, and was the head Dr. for the university orthopedic sports medicine dept. Dealt with many collegiate and pro athletes. I had 2 rotator muscles reattached. As well as a ruptured biceps taken care of.The Dr said it would be 18 months till the were fully graphed back on. Originally he said 3 months till I should start lifting with that arm. But he said to keep training the rest of the body. And training the good arm would keep the injured one from from atrophying as much and would keep the nerves functioning as well. Backs up what I had read else were. 5 days after the surgery back in the gym. Only doing rehab work for the injured shoulder along with stretching several times a day. 8 week s later the Dr said I could start training the repaired arm(as he knew I was doing some stuff anyway) as I was healing much faster then normal. 8 months later back to full power but I didn't push it ever work out for awhile till I felt confident. wish I had done it sooner.

I had my left side clavicle shaved down and bone spurs shaved off from my left shoulder and some other thing done I can't remember rite now. Long story short I'm still not able to work out that shoulder at all. It's a long recovery (for me). So take your time and heal right.

I had complete shoulder replacement Oct 29. I am working out well with the little colored dumbbells at the gym. Just mainly for movement.

I had bicep reattachment surgery on Halloween. Didn't touch weights for 6 weeks. I did start out lifting with the good arm. It was a pain in the ass in the beginning. Not so much now. I just found it easier using both arms and doing more reps. I really haven't lost much. It seems that chest and shoulders are the most difficult on the injured shoulder. Even now, 3 months later, I can only do certain exercises that don't irritate my shoulder and obviously less weight.

I have had 2 elbow surgerys, 1 major and 1 minor and with both of them began lifting with the opposite extremity asap. There is something called overflow and while I wouldn't say its subtsantial its still something. In addition, staying in the gym and still being able to do my workouts kept me mentally sane. In terms of looking lopsided, on the major surgery where I couldn't bench for a year, there was definitely some pec atrophy but not enough that anybody noticed anything unless they were looking for it.

I'm now about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. I'm doing several different exercises (5 exercises, 4 sets each) on a daily basis with a 5 lb. dumbbell. I'm hoping to get the all clear when I go back to the dr. on April 1st. Then begins the sloooooow road back to lifting decent weight. But I've been taking 4ius gh daily, along with test, deca, and far, which has helped tremendously. I've also been lifting one armed on the good side, which my. Dr said will help minimize the atrophy. I really haven't lost too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have seen a study were only 1 side of the body was exercised and the therory was that both sides would make equal gains.
the thought was that you could get twice the gains if you worked 1 side if the gains came to both. than the other side.(twice the gains)
sounds crazy I know but if 1 side benefeits the other than why not.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have seen a study were only 1 side of the body was exercised and the therory was that both sides would make equal gains.

the thought was that you could get twice the gains if you worked 1 side if the gains came to both. than the other side.(twice the gains)

sounds crazy I know but if 1 side benefeits the other than why not.:rolleyes:

When I asked my surgeon about working only one side, he absolutely agreed. And he's a reputable dr, he's worked for the pro sports teams in the area. And I can tell you, while there is obvious muscle loss, I and my coach both agree that I have lost minimal muscle.

You absolutely should work one side if you can't work the other. You'll have less atrophy since your body can't just focus on signaling and repairing just one side.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

when yo work one side the other side still gets nerve impulses sent down it helping to slow any atrophy. i have done it with 2 shoulder surgeries. one where the rotators were re-attached and the other where the shoulder was replaced.

I have had major elbow surgery. During the recovery time, I did not lose as much to atrophy as I feared because I did continue to use the other arm to train. My Dr. explained that the body would try to keep itself symmetrical and the nervous system would continue to feed both sides equally.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear