YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

lightheadedness and dizzy spells in the gym?

Landmonster

Registered
Guys,

There has been a weird and scary occurrence that has happened to me a few times in the past month or so. After hard sets on leg or back, when I am resting for the next set, I have started feeling light-headed and had the feeling of about to black out. Has this happened to anyone else? and what is the likely cause, and remedy?

Here is a brief description:

After certain hard sets... I have gotten a feeling that is best described as "light headedness", or a difficulty concentrating, and a feeling that feels close to passing out. It is accompanied by a racing heart rate, which seems abnormal for my level of exertion. (I was working moderately hard, but not going for a lifetime PR)

It doesn't start right away, nor does it happen every workout... but it will sometimes happen sporadically midway into a workout, on leg or back days, particularly if I am bent over.

It has occurred after:
-lying leg curls, where I strain really hard, then stand up.
-Good mornings or hyper extensions, if I push them hard enough.
-Bent over rows, or seated cable rows, where I am straining really hard, and then relax my body.

It has never occurred on squats, which has gotten my heart rate much higher than leg curls would, obviously.

It has never occured on a chest, shoulder, or arm day.

After a hard set such as these, when I am recovering for my next set, I will feel a sudden surge of "light headedness/diziness" come on, where it almost feels like an attack, or I am going to pass out. My breathing becomes quick and shallow, and I feel my heart begin racing excessively, almost as if it's like a panic attack. I have to stabilize myself on something and calm myself down so I don't black out.

If the dizzy feeling comes on, if I keep working out it will happen after each additional set. It takes a few hours of rest to fully go away.

Obviously, this is scary, but it's also annoying because it's never happened before. These are tough sets... but not 110% all-out-balls-to-the-wall sets like I have sometimes done in the past. I have done sets like that before, where I am gasping for air, but I have never felt the urge to pass out though. This is a different feeling.

I am not taking any drugs besides TRT Test. I have lost about 25lbs recently due to coming off Mk677, coming off anabolics (deca/EQ/anavar), and eating cleaner and eating much less trying to clean up my health.

I am taking the normal vitamins and minerals, but I have added in Citrus Bergamot and Curcumin in the mornings. I am also on 40mg Telmisartan a day. I have also begun doing cardio a few times a week. I am trying to do things the "right way" by taking health supplements and cleaning up my diet.

I continue to take a mild pre-workout with 6g Citruline malate, and 4g beta alanine, and about 100mg of caffeine, but I have taken this for a few years with no issues.

I thought it might be due to...:
1) Excess caffeine? (Perhaps too much coffee in the day + my pre-workout, or something) -- I tried eliminating caffeine, but it didn't fully solve it.
2) Dehydration? I don't think this is the cause, because my urine during those times is clear or light.
3) Blood pressure issues? If anything, it seems like my BP should be lower now than it used to be, and I never had any issues like this before, when it used to be borderline high.

Last edited:
Could be positional vertigo, maybe orthostatic hypotension. Hard to tell from the other side of a screen bro :/

Are you taking anti hypertensives like Beta blockers ?

Last edited:
It could be so many different things. I experienced something like this in the past. It was due to an electrolyte imbalance. I simply needed more sodium and potassium in my diet.

One thing you can try is take your BP when lying down. Then take it right after standing up. If there's a sudden drop, therein lies your problem. You'll have to seek medical advice as to how to correct the problem though. Definitely not a doctor ;).

Telmisartan is an antihypertensive. Have you checked your bp since reducing your drugs and losing 25 lbs ?

I dropped fast weight for a show and would almost pass out just getting out of my car. I kept my blood pressure meds the same. I checked my bp and it was 96/58.

I need to take my resting BP.

Which number (top or bottom) would influence it the most, with regards to feeling like passing out?

did you just get a blood transfusion in CA?

you probably have HIV

I would measure your bp to make sure it isn't too low. Orthostatic hypotension could be a cause too. lifting really heavy and holding your breath can do it too, I remember watching a video of a guy fainting doing deadlifts. He got the weight up to the top and then passed out.

Worst case scenario would be some kind of cardiomyopathy. Is your resting heart rate high all day? If it is 100 bpm or so when you wake up in the morning then I would be concerned definitely. How you describe your feeling is what happens to me when my heart goes into tachycardia bad. The night I had my heart attack I had that feeling but worse than you describe. I don't remember you saying it, but do you ever feel nauseous?

I would measure your bp to make sure it isn't too low. Orthostatic hypotension could be a cause too. lifting really heavy and holding your breath can do it too, I remember watching a video of a guy fainting doing deadlifts. He got the weight up to the top and then passed out.

Worst case scenario would be some kind of cardiomyopathy. Is your resting heart rate high all day? If it is 100 bpm or so when you wake up in the morning then I would be concerned definitely. How you describe your feeling is what happens to me when my heart goes into tachycardia bad. The night I had my heart attack I had that feeling but worse than you describe. I don't remember you saying it, but do you ever feel nauseous?

My normal heart rate is not fast. Right now I am sitting in a chair, it is 68-69 BPM.

I never have any naseua or chest pains. The only times I've gotten that tachycardia sensation is specifically when I was feeling like I was about to pass out.

It was weird... let's say my heart rate was approximately 130 bpm (guessing) after a set. I would rest for a few seconds, start to get the light headed feeling coming on, and my heart-rate would surge and increase to something like 150+ while I was recovering, I could feel it beating abnormally fast. I believe it was in response to the feeling, or related to anxiety as a result of that feeling.

I have gotten a vaguely lightheaded/dizzy feeling if I stand up too fast from a chair, like people normally describe if they stand up too fast, when I am not exercising. It was never panic inducing though.

It seems amplified in the gym after hard sets of exercises that put my head down (lying leg curls, hyper extensions, etc), or exercises that really constrict my core and probably breathing (heavy rows).

What confuses me is that it doesn't seem to do it every time though. I have hard very hard recent back workouts recently where I am rowing as much as I can, and have had zero issues. Then perplexingly, 1 week later, I get the lightheaded feeling on the same type of workout and have to quit.

Last edited:
It really does sound quite similar to what I battled through many moons ago. My BP was always low back then (around 96/60 IIRC). The anxiety you're getting is panic induced by the fight or flight response. Your CNS notices something is wrong (sudden drop in BP) and goes into defense mode. This will elevate your HR rather quickly and compound the sensations. I would certainly check BP throughout the day. It could be a quick fix, or it might take some time to dial it in. I wish you the best though!

I have gotten light headed with feelings of vertigo when I was dieting and was consuming WAY too much caffeine. I cut back on the caffeine and it stopped.

My normal heart rate is not fast. Right now I am sitting in a chair, it is 68-69 BPM.

I never have any naseua or chest pains. The only times I've gotten that tachycardia sensation is specifically when I was feeling like I was about to pass out.

It was weird... let's say my heart rate was approximately 130 bpm (guessing) after a set. I would rest for a few seconds, start to get the light headed feeling coming on, and my heart-rate would surge and increase to something like 150+ while I was recovering, I could feel it beating abnormally fast. I believe it was in response to the feeling, or related to anxiety as a result of that feeling.

I have gotten a vaguely lightheaded/dizzy feeling if I stand up too fast from a chair, like people normally describe if they stand up too fast, when I am not exercising. It was never panic inducing though.

It seems amplified in the gym after hard sets of exercises that put my head down (lying leg curls, hyper extensions, etc), or exercises that really constrict my core and probably breathing (heavy rows).

What confuses me is that it doesn't seem to do it every time though. I have hard very hard recent back workouts recently where I am rowing as much as I can, and have had zero issues. Then perplexingly, 1 week later, I get the lightheaded feeling on the same type of workout and have to quit.

Good that your normal resting pulse is that reading. As far as having chest pains, don't ever count on that. I never had any chest pain when I had my heart attack and it nearly killed me. I just had nausea, feeling like I would faint, tunnel vision, and ringing in my ears. It was like a really bad panic attack.

If your health insurance is decent I would see your family doctor and tell him about your symptoms. He will probably at least run an EKG for you. That is simple to do and shouldn't cost you much. If anything abnormal shows up he can make an appointment for you to see a cardiologist.

This is just me speaking though and I am a bit biased since I had my experience with heart trouble. Chances are it isn't anything serious, but since it is a new symptom for you I would get it checked out. Its not like you have been having this for many years. Check it out just to be safe. Cardiologist could order a stress test for you, where you run on a treadmill and they give you an ekg at the same time. I even had a VO2 max test once too while they were doing it. A VO2 max will tell you how fit you are cardiovascular wise.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost