over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lisinopril/ Blood pressure?

2swole79

Registered
Guys, I'm 37 yrs old...most of my life my blood pressure has been within the normal range towards the higher end of it. The last 2 months at the Drs. office I was 144/92 and this month was 138/90. but all year long up until this point i was closer to 130/84. I have mine tested every month, the first month it came back high the Dr. asked if I had ever been on blood pressure meds, and I told him no that I had never had to before. When it came back high again yesterday, although not as high as last month, I asked him myself if he thought I should consider BP meds...he said if I'd like he'd put me on 10mgs of lisinopril. IDK if I've just been under stress lately, which I have, and that caused it or what. I haven't gained any significant wieght, AAS are roughly the same and pretty mild. Did I make the right choice? I've always heard blood pressure is the silent killer, and in our lifestyle I'm begining to pay more attention to cardiovascular health. Is lisinopril a fairly mild BP drug? As far as any sides are concerned. Did I make the right choice or should I have waited to see if it was more of a pattern than just 2 months. I felt like I'd rather be safe than sorry....so.....Opinions?

lisinopril is a good one yeah, I use 30mg/day.

a number of guys here like micardis aka telmisartan

Lisinopril is a good one, it has additional heart benefits as well. Keeping blood pressure in check is extremely important. ANYONE with high blood pressure should reduce their intake of whatever is causing it and start taking them if needed OR get on some that are effective if the number is over 140 systolic/90diastolic because that is when your heart and kidneys along with other things can become damaged. I learned the hard way, I ignored high blood pressure (160s/90-100s) for years and now am in stage 3 kidney failure and not even 40 yet. Make sure the med you're prescribed works for you- if it doesn't, try a different and be very vigilant about this. Sometimes metaprolol or Coreg is a better fit for some, for others lisinopril or fosinopril will do the trick, etc. Good luck and you're definitely making the right decision.

I personally like Losartan better. Switched to it from lisinopril. 50mg ED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisinopril is a good drug, the only side you really have to be careful about is a chronic cough. If somewhere you get a cough that doesn't go away, it's the lisinopril and it's remedied as easy as switching to another med.

best thing to always do is find the cause of your high blood pressure and address that. Having said that, i've used linsinopril - works great. I still prefer to lower it the natural way though.

I take zestril but to be honest lowering my sodium is what made the biggest difference

20mg Lisinopril with 25mg HCTZ gives me better BP than 40mg Lisinopril with no hctz. They must work synergistically.

20mg Lisinopril with 25mg HCTZ gives me better BP than 40mg Lisinopril with no hctz. They must work synergistically.

So Lisinopril is a ACE-inhibitor (ACE = enzyme responsible for conversion of angiotensin 1 to angiotensin 2) which basically results in decreased constriction of blood vessels as well as decreasing aldosterone (requires AT2 to signal to adrenal cortex) which is responsible for sodium / water retention, which increases BP.

HCTZ = hydrochlorothiazide = a diuretic.

So you're basically decreasing signals to increase blood pressure and retain sodium (which also increases BP), and sending signals to get rid of more fluid which decreases BP as well, which is probably why you see a better BP lowering effect.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member