over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Liver protection for heavy drinkers and alcoholics who refuse to quit

TheAnabolicFreak

Registered
My cousin is a pretty functional alcoholic. Goes to work and is pretty good at his job as a real estate agent. Doesnt drink during the day or in the morning. But always gets fucked up at night when he is done with clients. Doesnt help that his girlfriend is the exact safe way. Elementary school teacher who is great at her job but doesnt know how to stop the wine. I know after all the recent deaths of bodybuilders many guys here who take supplements like Curcumin, etc to somewhat protect them from the high Juice, GH and Slin use. I have tried and failed at telling this guy to go to AA, having family intervene etc and I have realized he will drink no matter what. Any supplements or peptides I can at least convince him to take so he can somewhat reduce the damage he is doing to his body?

Betaine Anhydrous (trimethylglycine) is best for liver damage or elevated liver enzymes. Will help reduce inflammation in the body as well.

Impact of Betaine on Hepatic Fibrosis and Homocysteine in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis - A Prospective, Cohort Study

Effect Decrease
Trial Design Cohort
Trial Length 6+ Months
Number of Subjects 23
Gender Both Genders
Age Range 18-29, 30-44, 45-64, 65+
Body Types Obese, Overweight
Notes for this study:
10g of betaine twice daily over the course of one year in persons with nonalcoholic fatty liver appeared to significantly reduce ALT (), AST (), and ALP () liver enzyme values relative to baseline (no placebo control) with five subjects finding normalization of liver fat.

In an intent to treat analysis, over 90% of subjects reported reductions in liver fat or inflammation in general; 36.4% of subjects who reported benefit to fibrosis scores (11 out of 23) had more than two stages of improvement, and only one subject had a worsening of fibrosis.
Betaine For Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Results Of A Randomized Placebo-controlled Trial

Effect Decrease
Trial Design Cohort
Trial Length 6+ Months
Number of Subjects 7
Gender Both Genders
Age Range 30-44, 45-64
Body Types Overweight
Notes for this study:
Supplementation of betaine at 500mg twice daily over the course of one year was able to fully normalize liver enzymes in three out of seven patients and reduce them by more than 50% in three others, with one nonresponder and the dropouts (before the year the trial lasted) also noting a 38-39% reduction.

Betaine Anhydrous (trimethylglycine) is best for liver damage or elevated liver enzymes. Will help reduce inflammation in the body as well.

Impact of Betaine on Hepatic Fibrosis and Homocysteine in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis - A Prospective, Cohort Study

Effect Decrease
Trial Design Cohort
Trial Length 6+ Months
Number of Subjects 23
Gender Both Genders
Age Range 18-29, 30-44, 45-64, 65+
Body Types Obese, Overweight
Notes for this study:
10g of betaine twice daily over the course of one year in persons with nonalcoholic fatty liver appeared to significantly reduce ALT (), AST (), and ALP () liver enzyme values relative to baseline (no placebo control) with five subjects finding normalization of liver fat.

In an intent to treat analysis, over 90% of subjects reported reductions in liver fat or inflammation in general; 36.4% of subjects who reported benefit to fibrosis scores (11 out of 23) had more than two stages of improvement, and only one subject had a worsening of fibrosis.

Betaine For Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Results Of A Randomized Placebo-controlled Trial

Effect Decrease
Trial Design Cohort
Trial Length 6+ Months
Number of Subjects 7
Gender Both Genders
Age Range 30-44, 45-64
Body Types Overweight
Notes for this study:
Supplementation of betaine at 500mg twice daily over the course of one year was able to fully normalize liver enzymes in three out of seven patients and reduce them by more than 50% in three others, with one nonresponder and the dropouts (before the year the trial lasted) also noting a 38-39% reduction.

You can buy bulk powder online. It's real cheap and effective for the above mentioned. I don't take 10grams twice a day though like the study indicates. I take 3 grams a day which i think is optimal for healthy liver and to reduce inflammation. At least my bloodwork indicates im doing real well.

Last edited:
Is it available at True Nutrition or Bodybuilding.com? I should buy some for him as a gift.

how do you stay humble when ur liver is better than his?

I get blood work done regularly. Its actually not too bad. He probably hasn't been to a doctor for over 10 years so who knows how his insides are. Oh and he smokes about a pack of Marlboro reds a day.

Is it available at True Nutrition or Bodybuilding.com? I should buy some for him as a gift.

yes bodybuilding.com has it. Id recommend this product...

LiveLong Nutrition Betaine, 100 Grams

Just take what it say's on the bottle but 3 scoops per day instead of 1. That's what I take per day.

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but have you and your family checked out Al Anon? I realize you're trying to help a family member, but the best thing you can do for your cousin, if he indeed has alcoholism, is to let him hit bottom...then maybe he'll seek help.

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but have you and your family checked out Al Anon? I realize you're trying to help a family member, but the best thing you can do for your cousin, if he indeed has alcoholism, is to let him hit bottom...then maybe he'll seek help.

Thing is he has been like this for over a decade and doesn't hit bottom. He makes around $500k a year as one of the top real estate agents in the area and has never gotten a dui (doesn't drink and drive), only drinks at home and never misses work or has let clients see him drunk. I bet some of his colleagues and clients would never believe this side of him actually exists. He is a VERY functional alcoholic. I wish I made the kind of money he does but I know he is slowly committing suicide.

Thing is he has been like this for over a decade and doesn't hit bottom. He makes around $500k a year as one of the top real estate agents in the area and has never gotten a dui (doesn't drink and drive), only drinks at home and never misses work or has let clients see him drunk. I bet some of his colleagues and clients would never believe this side of him actually exists. He is a VERY functional alcoholic. I wish I made the kind of money he does but I know he is slowly committing suicide.

How many units of alcohol per night are we actually talking, here?

Quitting alcohol likely will need to be only part of the equation. Naturally, I don't know him or his full situation, but the alcohol could long have been a crutch to alleviate the stress of his job. This is rather common with high-paying gigs; Wall Street is another example. He may need to deal with job issues or even career considerations in tandem with alcohol elimination. In any case, I do like your initial approach to minimize the damage. I second the TUDCA recommendation.

Quitting alcohol likely will need to be only part of the equation. Naturally, I don't know him or his full situation, but the alcohol could long have been a crutch to alleviate the stress of his job. This is rather common with high-paying gigs; Wall Street is another example. He may need to deal with job issues or even career considerations in tandem with alcohol elimination. In any case, I do like your initial approach to minimize the damage. I second the TUDCA recommendation.

Yep, tons of heroin on Wall Street. Nobody ever believes it. Start off with the 30mg Oxycodone's at rooftop get-togethers, then you know how the story goes after that.

Anyways, the amount of units comsumed is gonna make a difference here. If he's putting back a fifth every single night for the past decade, his shit is royally fucked and no amount of TUDCA will help.

Sounds like my sister. Makes just about what he makes and drinks herself to sleep every night with wine. Then on the weekends its a free for all. Been like that for as long as i can remember for her. I think its the stress. I think she worries about losing it all one day and as well as the stress of her position everyday. No way to live life.

Yep, tons of heroin on Wall Street. Nobody ever believes it. Start off with the 30mg Oxycodone's at rooftop get-togethers, then you know how the story goes after that.

Anyways, the amount of units comsumed is gonna make a difference here. If he's putting back a fifth every single night for the past decade, his shit is royally fucked and no amount of TUDCA will help.

NY is the worst for heroin right now. Its everywhere and affecting everyone. I'm losing about 2 friends a year up there from it.

Last edited:
How many units of alcohol per night are we actually talking, here?

Hard to say. Before he started dating this chick I was always the guy he wanted to go out with when he went to clubs so he could get fucked up and I could drive his Porsche back while he is passed out snoring in the passenger seat (his 911 turbo is fun to drive to say the least) and he always pays for everything when we went out. If I had to guess about how many units of alcohol is would be enough to get drunk and if he is at home to fall asleep. Not sure about the exact amounts. He will drink everything from cheap beer to Dom Perignon a bottle at a time lol. Like I said money is not a problem for him.

Last edited:
He won't stop drinking to excess but you think he's going to go on a consistent regimen of supplementation to combat the effects of his addiction??

I guess you could slip the powder in his drink.

Last edited:
He won't stop drinking to excess but you think he's going to go on a consistent regimen of supplementation to combat the effects of his addiction??

I guess you could slip the powder in his drink.

He is big on drinking those smoothies in the morning. Im sure I could convince him to add a scoop or two to those in the morning.

Does he take ADHD meds by chance? I notice I will be good all day strict on diet/hydration/gym, good with clients etc.. then once they wear off in the evenings the only thing I crave is booze.

Ceasing the drinking is the only thing that is going to work long term.

If hes functional and loves to drink i say F'it...let him do what he wants. Some people have to learn the hard way..you did your part.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear