over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

'Living' on shakes

microcentillion

Registered
When I started lifting in early '09, I had absolutely horrible nutrition; I would typically eat twice a day at most, and one of those times would somewhat regularly be fast-food. I was just starting out, so I had no clue what I was doing in general.

Since that time, I've become aware of how important nutrition is, and I've been making a concerted effort to get what I need. Like a few other people, though, I have some obstacles that stand in the way of me eating 6-7 good meals a day: Finances being #1, but I also live with several other people, which greatly limits the time I can spend in the kitchen.

To that end, I've been more-or-less *living* on shakes for the past 8 weeks; be it gainers, protein, recovery, etc. My typical week-day goes about like this:

10am: ON Pro-Complex Gainer
Noon: ON Whey Shake (Double Serving)
2:30: ON Whey Shake (Single Serving)
4:00: ON Pro-Complex Gainer

On Workout days, I'll have a 2:1:1 recovery shake with another double serving of Whey immediately following my workout

7-8pm: Massive high carb, high calorie dinner (usually not too high on protein, but I always throw meat into it if I have any on hand)
11pm: ON Casein Shake (Single Serving)

I've found that the above is cheap, easy to stick to, requires little preparation, and especially when compared to my previous nutrition is pretty good for my current goals. After starting this routine, I've noticed considerably greater/faster gains in the gym, and I'm really digging the effects. My question is this: Is this a horrible idea? Am I screwing myself somewhere by going this route?

Ever try cooking in bulk? weigh out 3 days of food cook it and then you can stay out of the kitchen for 3 days. Powders can be expensive I invested in a BJ's membership 60 eggs is 4.67 cant beat that and 2 huge bags of oatmeal is like 5 bucks. Just have to search around for cheap food when chicken is on sale buy in bulk. I feel whole food is better shakes are good but food always is better

You'll never get the gains you could get if you started consuming the bulk of your diet from whole foods. I would only do two shakes a day and no more unless circumstances prohibited it for a little while, like work etc.

While I don't believe that going to only whole foods is necessarily better, it would probably benefit you to add more of them. My schedule is very tight and doesn't allow much time for food prep. Once or twice per week I cook food in bulk and portion it into containers for use all week long. There are many days, especially offseason, where I get almost half of my protein from shakes, but I try not to do this every day.

If possible, kick down some $$$ for one of those little 100.00 dollar refrigerators and put one in your room....if you run out of room in the universally-shared fridge. That will help out with some storage.

Dude, you almost sound like you are scared to go into the kitchen with that diet. I know you have to do what you got to do, but you also need to find a way to increase your kitchen time AT LEAST to an amount of time to make "some" food.

Stuff like beans, rice, vegetables, meat, chicken, pasta, can be made in bulk and placed in tupperware.

GET some tupperware if you do not already have some, this is almost mandatory. You can get some cheap from target or wal-mart and places like that.

Also, if you have a blender, you can blend up some oats, and then add them to your protein drink.

Add in some milk too, it is a great source of nutrition adding a variety of nutrients.

Lean ground beef can be used in almost anything, as can any chicken, etc.

Buy some fresh fruit to have with your meals. They do not take up much space, and you can even put some in your room if you need to. Fresh or frozen both work.

Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are great sources of protein that are pre-made and can be added to a lot of foods.

Come on Spanky, you have to get creative.....and don't forget your veges:)

BMJ

Works for me

I have been doing that for years. 4-5 shakes per day and 2 meals. throw in a couple snacks of fruit and nuts and good to go. Your body does not know if your nutrients came from food or shakes. after digestion your nutrients are absorbed where they are needed.

Whenever I have a replacement meal shake, I like to do 50g whey with 1 cup of oats, and if needed, I'll add olive oil (2 TBSP). The oats get soggy pretty quickly and can easily be drank. Also, if you can't eat vegetables, look into a super greens complex powder. Recently I found out Evan Centopani does the same thing, which is pretty cool cause I had no idea a pro was drinking a concoction like this too.

This method has helped me immensely whenever I'm in classes all day and need a quick meal in between.

Last edited:
I'm no pro by any means but i was a pertty successful poewr lifter ofr a number of years. And from my poerspective nothing can replace whole foods. You use protein shakes to supplement what you can't shove in your face. It can be tough consuming 5000+ calories a day, that's where the shakes, etc come in handy. But some of these guys are much more knowledgable about body building than I am. what I know is lifting big weight with as minimal as possible body weight.

SHAKES

PROTEIN HAS TO FORM INTO A GEL AND LINE THE INTESTINAL WALLS FOR ABSORPTION, IMO ITS VERY HARD TO GET PROTEIN NEEDS MET WITH A SHAKE. DUE TO THE FACT ITS PREDIGESTED POWDER THUS LEAVING BY WAY OF URINARY TRACK LONG BEFORE 50/75 GRAMS IS GOTTEN. THEY ARE GOOD ON THE RUN,BUT ITS HARD TO BE GAINS YOULL SEE FROM WHOLE FOOD.

Liquid protein vs. solid protein. Protein contained in a whey protein supplement is already in a form that the body can use immediately -- in fact it's been shown that protein supplements are fully utilized by the body's cells within 45 minutes of drinking a shake. We're getting the full benefit of this form of protein... 100%. Protein from food is also well used by the body but it's got a lot more processing to go through before the body can use the nutrients.

SHAKES

NOT GONNA ARGUE THE POINT. IM JUST GLAD TO BE HERE,BUT POSSIBLY YOU SHOULD RESEARCH THAT A LITTLE MORE. NO DISRESPECT. ONLY WAY THE BODY CAN UTILIZE SHAKES LIKE THIS TO THERE FULL POTENTIAL IS IF YOUR RUNNING INSULIN. THIS WAS LEARNED NOT BY TRIAL & ERROR BUT ON THE CELLULAR LEVEL. (A DEGREE) ONCE AGAIN NO DISRESPECT JUST FACT. PLEASE DONT TAKE ME AS CALLING YOU OUT.

PROTEIN HAS TO FORM INTO A GEL AND LINE THE INTESTINAL WALLS FOR ABSORPTION, IMO ITS VERY HARD TO GET PROTEIN NEEDS MET WITH A SHAKE. DUE TO THE FACT ITS PREDIGESTED POWDER THUS LEAVING BY WAY OF URINARY TRACK LONG BEFORE 50/75 GRAMS IS GOTTEN. THEY ARE GOOD ON THE RUN,BUT ITS HARD TO BE GAINS YOULL SEE FROM WHOLE FOOD.

Can you expand on this some, i'm not sure I am following you the way it is worded? For example "GOTTEN"?

Thanks.

BMJ

GOTTEN

IM SAYING YOUR BODY IS NOT RECEIVING THE "50 GRAMS OF PROTEIN" IN THE SHAKE. BECAUSE IT IS PREDIGESTED MOST OF IT PASSES THRU. UNLESS YOUR USING INSULIN. IN THAT CASE THE UPTAKE AND ABSORPTION RATE IS GREATLY INCREASED.IT UTILIZES EVERYTHING THEN.ONCE AGAIN NOT SAYING SHAKES ARE BAD. I USE THEM. BUT ONLY CERTAIN TIMES,OR IF IN A TIGHT AND HAVE TO HAVE.

Last edited:
I have been doing that for years. 4-5 shakes per day and 2 meals. throw in a couple snacks of fruit and nuts and good to go. Your body does not know if your nutrients came from food or shakes. after digestion your nutrients are absorbed where they are needed.

Tom,

Do you eat like that while bulking, cutting, or both?

Thanks!

US

IM SAYING YOUR BODY IS NOT RECEIVING THE "50 GRAMS OF PROTEIN" IN THE SHAKE. BECAUSE IT IS PREDIGESTED MOST OF IT PASSES THRU. UNLESS YOUR USING INSULIN. IN THAT CASE THE UPTAKE AND ABSORPTION RATE IS GREATLY INCREASED.IT UTILIZES EVERYTHING THEN.ONCE AGAIN NOT SAYING SHAKES ARE BAD. I USE THEM. BUT ONLY CERTAIN TIMES,OR IF IN A TIGHT AND HAVE TO HAVE.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you expand on "passes through."

It passes through what?

And are you saying that insulin is heloping with transport through the GI, or elsewhere?

Sorry, just trying to clarify what exactly you are saying.

Thnaks again!

BMJ

PASSES THRU

ILL LET THIS ONE GO. IM NOT HERE TO ARGUE. THANKS

Last edited:
ILL LET THIS ONE GO. IM NOT HERE TO ARGUE. THANKS

Jesus guy, you took that the wrong way, but fine. If you are American, please brush up on your english. I didn't want to be rude because I do understand some members here are NOT from the states, and thus their english is not very good when typed. I do understand absorption, digestion, and metabolism....just trying to figure out what the fukk you were typing.

Peace,

BMJ

Tom,

Do you eat like that while bulking, cutting, or both?

Thanks!

US

I eat like that all year. I don't believe in bulking and then dieting down. Why gain 25 lbs of fat and water bloat to net 4 lbs of lean mass? Just strive to gain the 4 lbs of lean mass. You don't have to up your calories to do that by very much at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you expand on "passes through."
It passes through what?

And are you saying that insulin is heloping with transport through the GI, or elsewhere?

Sorry, just trying to clarify what exactly you are saying.

Thnaks again!

BMJ

You poop and pee it out. It passes through you.:delete:

I eat like that all year. I don't believe in bulking and then dieting down. Why gain 25 lbs of fat and water bloat to net 4 lbs of lean mass? Just strive to gain the 4 lbs of lean mass. You don't have to up your calories to do that by very much at all.

Why settle for four pounds when with the right diet you can gain 20 pounds on cycle? Good solid clean muscle.
But then I'm not into natural body building. I'm into freaky mass.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity