over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Long term PPI use (how to stop?)

Reload

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I've been on a PPI for over 4 years now for GERD associated with a hiatal hernia.
Who here has successfully managed to get off their PPI and how did you do it?

I've known of a few individuals I've suggested transitioning from a PPI to an H2 blocker. After a few weeks transition to digestive enzymes with betaine hcl.

All with success thus far.

I've been on one for 20 years now. I tried tapering off and switching to natural medicine maybe 12 years ago. It didn't go well. I ended up in the ER with a narrowing at the base of my esophagus from the damage from stomach acid. I now have a condition called Barrett's esophagus where I have a higher risk from cancer.

I don't think it's possible to get off PPIs in my case without surgery. I've had so many surgeries already. Staying on is easier.

I dropped my omeprazole cold turkey after 10 years of continuous use. It started causing me to vomit and have diarrhea multiple times a week from not digesting my food and it would ferment in my gut. I added in betaine hcl and digestive enzymes as well as eating some fermented foods like kimchi and real sauerkraut. I had heartburn fit a few weeks but now it is mostly gone other than occasionally and no more vomiting

This is a good topic. I've been on Omeprazole for at least 5 years and would like to stop taking it too. Sounds like Betaine HCL may be worth a try. Thx.

I've known of a few individuals I've suggested transitioning from a PPI to an H2 blocker. After a few weeks transition to digestive enzymes with betaine hcl.

All with success thus far.
I'm going to drop the Omeprazole 20mg/day and take Famotidine 20mg/day for 2 weeks. Is there a particular digestive enzyme product with betaine hcl you would recommend Stewie? There's so many out there. I'm discovering how important ones microbiome is to a healthy immune system. Mine needs work.

I'm going to drop the Omeprazole 20mg/day and take Famotidine 20mg/day for 2 weeks. Is there a particular digestive enzyme product with betaine hcl you would recommend Stewie? There's so many out there. I'm discovering how important ones microbiome is to a healthy immune system. Mine needs work.
I buy mine separately. These are the two I use

Attachments

• 0B04DDA0-2F9D-429D-B139-7568E0524408.jpeg
    0B04DDA0-2F9D-429D-B139-7568E0524408.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 26
  • 8B5D10BD-3B73-4C20-80E7-D641EA13ECE2.jpeg
    8B5D10BD-3B73-4C20-80E7-D641EA13ECE2.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 27
Yes I did. For a couple of weeks I had a good amount of heartburn. But as the betaine started to bring my acid levels back up it started to go away. And since dropping it I’ve had no more issues with the near daily vomiting and diarrhea/dehydration I was having

Good luck..really don’t think it’s possible
Why not? More often than not acid reflux is related to a stomach acid deficiency, and not an excess. Especially considering how much we as bodybuilders eat. I literally did it so I know it’s possible

Why not? More often than not acid reflux is related to a stomach acid deficiency, and not an excess. Especially considering how much we as bodybuilders eat. I literally did it so I know it’s possible
Man, I have tried everything and every treatment, doctor, dietitian, naturopath..some of us just have bad guts and PPI’s are just holding guard at the gate

Man, I have tried everything and every treatment, doctor, dietitian, naturopath..some of us just have bad guts and PPI’s are just holding guard at the gate
I did too. Ive been dealing with this for 15 years. Gallbladder removed, endoscopy, colonoscopy, 3 different gi docs, IBS diagnosis, bile gastritis diagnosis, several hospitalizations, 3 rounds of rifaximin treatment, radioactive egg transit tests, everything you can think of. This is the only thing that’s ever given me any relief

Now Super Enzymes has been mine and my wife's go-to for several years now. My wife had her gallbladder removed 10-12+/- years ago. This particular brand has helped her tremendously over the other brands we've tried. Myself, as well.

Year's ago I used to get the worst acid reflux regardless of what I ate. Fast-forward after switching to this particular brand I literally can't remember the last time I've had any reflux- 6 years maybe?? I love spicy foods too! No problem.

I also indulge in fermented foods several times throughout the week. My wife, not so much.

Now Super Enzymes has been mine and my wife's go-to for several years now. My wife had her gallbladder removed 10-12+/- years ago. This particular brand has helped her tremendously over the other brands we've tried. Myself, as well.

Year's ago I used to get the worst acid reflux regardless of what I ate. Fast-forward after switching to this particular brand I literally can't remember the last time I've had any reflux- 6 years maybe?? I love spicy foods too! No problem.

I also indulge in fermented foods several times throughout the week. My wife, not so much.
I do as well. I make my own kimchi by the gallon and Costco has an absolutely delicious naturally fermented sauerkraut that I love. I eat some of each daily

The medical community doesn't like to recognize that hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) is highly prevalent in the general population. In return, Rx PPI's or H2 antagonist rather than a trial course of low dose of betaine hcl and titrate up if needed. As well, toss in some sort of digestive enzymes, if so desired.

PPI's come with their own pitfalls.

My doctors were convinced I needed proton pump inhibitors and anxiety medication as this was all IBS related. I finally got fed up and started to realize that I was having this issue roughly every third day. I would start to burp what tasted and smelled exactly like beer. I would also burp up the taste of foods that I ate 12 plus hours ago and it occurred to me that I wasn’t digesting my food at all. I would get insane diarrhea and foamy beer tasting vomit every 3-4 days and then be 100 percent perfect the next day except for some dehydration. On my own I dropped the omeprazole and started the betain and I have not had this issue one single time since doing so

The medical community doesn't like to recognize that hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) is highly prevalent in the general population. In return, Rx PPI's or H2 antagonist rather than a trial course of low dose of betaine hcl and titrate up if needed. As well, toss in some sort of digestive enzymes, if so desired.

PPI's come with their own pitfalls.
Pitfalls is an understatement. I'm learning long term PPI use is associated with kidney disease, pneumonia, C-diff, hypomagnesemia, decreased B12 levels etc.
I'm getting older (52). I can't help but wonder if I've had Hypochlorhydria over the last 4-5 years and NOT acid reflux now. I question if this may be a common side effect of YEARS of stuffing my face 6-8x/day...the typical BB/powerlifting diet to attain & maintain all that hard earned mass only to suffer with GI complications later down the road. I'm convinced my beloved Inzer belt that I wore for over 30 yrs through every training session and meet is partly responsible for the hiatal hernia and possibly the Diverticulosis. The belt and static breath holds/pressure I put my gut through in achieving those 3 white lights. The deadlifts, deep squats... I should have hung it up 10 years sooner.

Funny that you mention this as I had no idea but I actually went to the hospital around 8 years ago for a bowel blockage that was killing me, and it turned out I had relatively bad walking pneumonia and had no idea. I wonder if this was the cause
Pitfalls is an understatement. I'm learning long term PPI use is associated with kidney disease, pneumonia, C-diff, hypomagnesemia, decreased B12 levels etc.
I'm getting older (52). I can't help but wonder if I've had Hypochlorhydria over the last 4-5 years and NOT acid reflux now. I question if this may be a common side effect of YEARS of stuffing my face 6-8x/day...the typical BB/powerlifting diet to attain & maintain all that hard earned mass only to suffer with GI complications later down the road. I'm convinced my beloved Inzer belt that I wore for over 30 yrs through every training session and meet is partly responsible for the hiatal hernia and possibly the Diverticulosis. The belt and static breath holds/pressure I put my gut through in achieving those 3 white lights. The deadlifts, deep squats... I should have hung it up 10 years sooner.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear