over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Long term PPI use (how to stop?)

Pitfalls is an understatement. I'm learning long term PPI use is associated with kidney disease, pneumonia, C-diff, hypomagnesemia, decreased B12 levels etc.
I'm getting older (52). I can't help but wonder if I've had Hypochlorhydria over the last 4-5 years and NOT acid reflux now. I question if this may be a common side effect of YEARS of stuffing my face 6-8x/day...the typical BB/powerlifting diet to attain & maintain all that hard earned mass only to suffer with GI complications later down the road. I'm convinced my beloved Inzer belt that I wore for over 30 yrs through every training session and meet is partly responsible for the hiatal hernia and possibly the Diverticulosis. The belt and static breath holds/pressure I put my gut through in achieving those 3 white lights. The deadlifts, deep squats... I should have hung it up 10 years sooner.

Yeah I used pitfalls lightly. Here's a snippet within the citation I posted above.

While limited in scope, these results generally agree with the empirical supplementation of meal-time betaine HCl and suggest that the dose(s) of betaine HCl may need to be taken minutes prior to the meal or divided and taken throughout the meal. Furthermore, these data strongly suggest that supplemental mealtime betaine HCl may be safe and appropriate (and necessary) in subjects on PPI therapy, in order to decrease common PPI side-effects (e.g., protein/micronutrient/drug malabsorption, food-borne microbial survival, or slow gastric emptying).

Hopefully you get this lined out sooner than later!

I do appreciate you guys for pointing me in an alternative direction.
Stewie, heavyhitter... thank you.

maybe depends on whats causing your problem in the first place, i had 2 inflammation spots in my stomach took ppi for a year, stomach healed, then i stopped, i had no type of rebound.

almost 20 years I have been on PPI, I just stopped today, betaine hcl+pepsin, digestive enzyms, apple cider vinegar , and sodium bicarbonate just incase on hand. 2 betaine hcl capsules of this brand is too much, 1 is perfect , 2 gave me heartburn

almost 20 years I have been on PPI, I just stopped today, betaine hcl+pepsin, digestive enzyms, apple cider vinegar , and sodium bicarbonate just incase on hand. 2 betaine hcl capsules of this brand is too much, 1 is perfect , 2 gave me heartburn
Fuck the destination!
All about the journey;)

Fuck the destination!
All about the journey;)
yes, we have to make sure we stop and smell the roses along the way. day 2 and I feel way better, I am not bloated at all. Thank you betaine HCL . I have also noticed I have hardly had to use any digestive enzymes, and those mfers add up $$ . I have been taking 2 sodium bicarbonate with each betaine hcl + pepsin capsule

I had to stop taking a PPI because it gave me unbearably painful cramps in my adductor muscles. It happened 3x, and it was always while I was sleeping in bed. The last time it was so bad I had my wife take me to the ER, I was worried my electrolytes were off bad and I might have more heart trouble. They ran all sorts of tests and nothing was wrong. Stopped taking that crap and never had the cramps again.

Now I just take Pepcid and I am fine with that. I take it because I have eosinophilic esophagitis.

That exactly how you gauge how much betaine you need. You keep adding capsules to your meal until you get heartburn....and then you back off by 1 capsule

It never occurred to me that my reflux, asthma symptoms (chronic cough), abdominal distention (SIBO possibly?) and SOB after eating a large meal could be due to "LOW" stomach acid caused by my taking the Omeprazole! Makes perfect sense though.
I'm going to hold off on the betaine hcl and do some of the above until I get a sense of how much my natural stomach acid production rebounds now that I stopped the PPI and tapper off the H2 blocker over the next few weeks.

Starting Glutamine tomorrow!

I really feel for you guys that have to deal with this. Sounds awful. I had my gall bladder removed during a cancer surgery for Carcinoid Syndrome back in 2014 but thankfully no issues! I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have the HLA-B27 gene so I have to watch out for IBS and Crohn's. I hope all of you find some relief!!

I've known of a few individuals I've suggested transitioning from a PPI to an H2 blocker. After a few weeks transition to digestive enzymes with betaine hcl.

All with success thus far.
Do you have a preferred H2 blocker and what time of day do you think is best to take it?
OP I hope you get help with this. I swear being on PPI's for the past 5-6 years has fucked my kidney function. My eGFR was ~100 prior to PPI's and it's now ~70.
I've been through absolute hell with gastro issues the past 10 years of my life I sincerely hope you find a way to get off PPI's because I'm trying to do the same as well.

Anyone else suffer from dysphagia, bad enough where you can't swallow food or liquids? That's what my esosinophilic esophagitis does to me. The ppi took care of it well but I had to stop taking it.

Now Pepcid otc takes care of it decent. I was taking a double dose 2x per day but have been able to cut back to a single tablet 2x a day. The prescription strength I had was the same size as 2 otc tabs.

I only have to throw up maybe 2x a month now, and without treatment it was more like 3x a week or worse. Really sucks when you're out for a nice dinner with the family and have to excuse yourself to the bathroom to puke because you can't swallow. Hurts like hell too. Figure other guys in the bathroom assume I'm some drunk.

Anyone else suffer from dysphagia, bad enough where you can't swallow food or liquids? That's what my esosinophilic esophagitis does to me. The ppi took care of it well but I had to stop taking it.

Now Pepcid otc takes care of it decent. I was taking a double dose 2x per day but have been able to cut back to a single tablet 2x a day. The prescription strength I had was the same size as 2 otc tabs.

I only have to throw up maybe 2x a month now, and without treatment it was more like 3x a week or worse. Really sucks when you're out for a nice dinner with the family and have to excuse yourself to the bathroom to puke because you can't swallow. Hurts like hell too. Figure other guys in the bathroom assume I'm some drunk.
Ever look into Plummer-Vinson syndrome?

Do you have a preferred H2 blocker and what time of day do you think is best to take it?
OP I hope you get help with this. I swear being on PPI's for the past 5-6 years has fucked my kidney function. My eGFR was ~100 prior to PPI's and it's now ~70.
I've been through absolute hell with gastro issues the past 10 years of my life I sincerely hope you find a way to get off PPI's because I'm trying to do the same as well.
No, I sure don't have a preference, sorry. Essentially they're all going to work in the same manner with some slight differences amongst them.

I had to stop taking a PPI because it gave me unbearably painful cramps in my adductor muscles. It happened 3x, and it was always while I was sleeping in bed. The last time it was so bad I had my wife take me to the ER, I was worried my electrolytes were off bad and I might have more heart trouble. They ran all sorts of tests and nothing was wrong. Stopped taking that crap and never had the cramps again.

Now I just take Pepcid and I am fine with that. I take it because I have eosinophilic esophagitis.
would alginate help?

Alginate, also called Alginic acid is a compound found within the cell walls of brown algae. It is considered extremely safe as it is most naturally extracted from the cells as a polysaccharide.

I have read they use it for dysphagia

It never occurred to me that my reflux, asthma symptoms (chronic cough), abdominal distention (SIBO possibly?) and SOB after eating a large meal could be due to "LOW" stomach acid caused by my taking the Omeprazole! Makes perfect sense though.
I'm going to hold off on the betaine hcl and do some of the above until I get a sense of how much my natural stomach acid production rebounds now that I stopped the PPI and tapper off the H2 blocker over the next few weeks.
i would advise to use the betaine last resort yes. digestive enzymes and probiotic and intermittent fasting first, add pineapple and papaya to your diet asap

Yes I get this as well. Mostly with rice for some reason. It gets stuck in my throat and I feel like I’m choking, but I can still breathe. I end up throwing up or making myself throw up to dislodge it. Happens like once every couple of weeks if not more often

would alginate help?

Alginate, also called Alginic acid is a compound found within the cell walls of brown algae. It is considered extremely safe as it is most naturally extracted from the cells as a polysaccharide.

I have read they use it for dysphagia

i would advise to use the betaine last resort yes. digestive enzymes and probiotic and intermittent fasting first, add pineapple and papaya to your diet asap
The goal is eventually the betaine won’t be necessary anymore once your guy biome comes back up from the supplementation

I'm using Famotidine 20mg/daily in the am pre meal like the Omeprazole.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131