over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Long term prednisone

Capin

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I'm in my 60s been lifting since I was 13 a few years ago I found out I have have rheumatoid arthritis which equates to joint pain, stiff muscles and fatigue. I have tried everything over the last 3 years turmeric/curcumin, Bromelaine, otc painkillers, prescription pain killers etc... but nothing really helps 😕
I came across an article about low dose prednisone like 10mg per day so I tried it and the results were good really good!
My question is have any of you guys used prednisone for any length of time like months or years?
Typically it's higher doses for only 10 days and it was very effective.

I'm on 5mg per day. Prednisone is not good in the long run. I have to take it forever unfortunately.

My use has always been short term. If I was in my 60’s and taking prednisone gave me a much better quality of life I’m not changing a damn thing!!!!

Have you ever tried cycling it? Like take it at a higher dose for more relief then drop the dose back to 10mg?

Cage

No I have not but that's something to consider.
The past few months the pain and stiffness has been very annoying so I have been taking 2 meloxicam and up to 15 ibuprofen per day. I know I can't keep doing that for long. It's become apparent I have an overactive immune system and prednisone seems to be the most effective drug to suppress it?

The past few months the pain and stiffness has been very annoying so I have been taking 2 meloxicam and up to 15 ibuprofen per day. I know I can't keep doing that for long. It's become apparent I have an overactive immune system and prednisone seems to be the most effective drug to suppress it?
Taking 15 ibuprofen per day could cause internal bleeding and then death. It’s like overdosing on aspirin. Low doses of prednisone would be a better option IMO. They also have some new drugs on the market for RA. I’d look into them.

It can cause issues over time.
I think if you slowly titrate the dose down so the minimum effective dose you could probably not have anything to worry about.
I think a mini dose of Prednisone or dexamethasone would be FAR better than constantly taking an NSAID.

Hydroxychloroquine , could also be an option to look into. It's cheap and easy to get

I had a bodybuilding client your age with RA who got decent results with Enbrel injections. That stuff is stupid expensive though and i don't think it gets insurance coverage? At least it wasn't covered a few years ago.

Long term use depletes calcium, VitD and C, also magnesium, selenium, and chromium.
Supplementing with vitamins, but also eliminating the foods that cause inflammation can go a long way. Avoid sugar and dairy, commonly irritating foods such as nightshade plants, peanuts. Fewer starchy carbs, and alcohol.
Try doing some research on foods that are more alkaline, like making sure to include plenty of dark greens. Getting to the cause, and treating this, can benefit more than just treating a symptom

Prednisone will also mess with your blood glucose levels and insulin sensitivity.

No never did but a couple things that might be related. When I had COVID I took dexamethasone, very low dose , and all my pain went away. The other thing is, my daughter use to have pet fancy rats. They often get a pituirary tumor late in life giving them rear leg paralysis. Treating them with prednisone would fix them for a long time. Also, treating them with anavar last in life restored their vitality and would also help the hind leg paralysis. The mechanism is related to inflammation reduction definitely with the pred but maybe also with the var.

15 Ibuprofen per day damn...

You really need to look into other solutions because that is not going to end well.

I had to take 60mg prednisone for four months straight last year …. It was pure hell. It was supposed to be for 16 months but I weened myself off and just never told the doctor lol. At 10mg you’re only ~2.5-5mg over what your body would produce naturally so it likely isn’t quite as bad. Just monitor your blood work and blood sugars and be aware of possible sides

No never did but a couple things that might be related. When I had COVID I took dexamethasone, very low dose , and all my pain went away. The other thing is, my daughter use to have pet fancy rats. They often get a pituirary tumor late in life giving them rear leg paralysis. Treating them with prednisone would fix them for a long time. Also, treating them with anavar last in life restored their vitality and would also help the hind leg paralysis. The mechanism is related to inflammation reduction definitely with the pred but maybe also with the var.

I highly disagree with your experimentation on the family pets. Rodents must be dosed earlier in life and on plenty of the good hard androgenic stuff, none of that anavar crap. Come on man, throw me a nut here!

I highly disagree with your experimentation on the family pets. Rodents must be dosed earlier in life and on plenty of the good hard androgenic stuff, none of that anavar crap. Come on man, throw me a nut here!
Those rats lived near twice as long and I was advised by a vet friend. The prednisone was almost miraculous. Also, I have legit research experience with small animals as far as pharmacology and small animal surgery.

I had to take Prednisone when I had Bells Palsy a few years back. That stuff sucked. Irritable, headaches, etc. But that was starting on high dose. I don't get any emotional sides from my standard test dosing or other things I've added in. That being said, physical side effects and potential detriment to your physical health being the deciding factor, I'd take low dose Prednisone over 15 ibuprofenper day.

Those rats lived near twice as long and I was advised by a vet friend. The prednisone was almost miraculous. Also, I have legit research experience with small animals as far as pharmacology and small animal surgery.

Research, smesearch. All the proof I need is in my avatar pic. Any more lip from you and my cousin well come over and set things straight.

Prednisone will be anathema to your gains and muscle retention, but of course, so is RA (I am sorry you're dealing with this). There are no treatments for RA that are great options for hypertrophy.

Is there a reason you haven't tried or even considered a biologic like Humira or a DMARD like Plaquenil (relatively mild)? It just sounds like you've been treating symptoms rather than the root problems (inflammation, etc.).

This isn’t going to help but there are some groundbreaking drugs on the horizon for folks to use in conjunction or to replace long term prednisone. Chemocentryx just got fda approval for avacopan which is the first orally administered selective complement 5a receptor inhibitor.

Right now it’s focused on rare and deadly diseases such as ANCA-associated vasculitis which there is no cure or treatment and patients rely on taking prednisone for years….DECADES even and it’s just horrible. These patients often take 40mgs + though.

My point is there is likely application to RA and much more on the horizon.

Again, this doesn’t help you now but there are lots of excited drugs to help patients with various AI disorders so they don’t have to live on prednisone.

Research, smesearch. All the proof I need is in my avatar pic. Any more lip from you and my cousin well come over and set things straight.

I am Jack's labrat.

Prednisone will be anathema to your gains and muscle retention, but of course, so is RA (I am sorry you're dealing with this). There are no treatments for RA that are great options for hypertrophy.

Is there a reason you haven't tried or even considered a biologic like Humira or a DMARD like Plaquenil (relatively mild)? It just sounds like you've been treating symptoms rather than the root problems (inflammation, etc.).
My ex was diagnosed with RA and while Humira didn't give 100% relief it did help a good deal.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear