over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Looking for advise on personal trainers

tigerlilyx61

Registered
Hi everyone. I will try to keep this short and to the point.

Personal stats are as follows: 53 y/o. 144 lbs at 5'3". At this time I'm not looking to get in stage...bites nails

Started lifting about 5 years ago. Like many of you I'm sure, I have gotten more serious about lifting over time. In November I hired a personal trainer who actually was a friend from the gym I used to go to. $300 later (after 2 months) I decided not to use him anymore because after the first email with the diet and exercise routine I didn't have any contact with him unless I initiated it.

I really like the results I have gotten thus far and I am thinking it is mostly the diet since the workouts are not significantly different than what I was doing.

I am eating 6 meals a day. 2 low carb days (30 grams of high fiber bread with the morning meal) which consists of 5 oz lean protein and veggies (1-1.5 cups) then 1 high carb day which has some oatmeal (1/2 cup), cream of rice and 5 oz of sweet potato, brown rice along with the protein.

Basically it is approximately 160 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs, with several cups of green vegetables and some salad on low carb days and same on the high carb day but with about 160 grams of carbs.

I can cheat every 6 days by having wings or sushi (no cake or sweet rolls I asked :) )

The exercises consist of cardio at least 4 nights a week for 30 minutes then alternating shoulder and back with legs doing 15 reps 4-5 sets of about. On shoulder and back days I have at least 10-12 different exercises I do...leg days there are 5-6. It also is, by necessity, a very fast paced workout otherwise I would be there for 3 hours. There is very little rest between sets.

Supplements: Taking about 20 mg topical test, 20 mg tamoxifen, and 10 mg anavar daily.

I want to continue to improve though. I still have at least 10 pounds I would like to get rid of. My personal trainer told me to give it time. That with the diet I would see results. Maybe not in weight loss but shaping and rearranging what I have.

My question is two fold. First and foremost what are your thoughts on personal trainers? Recommendations? Secondly, should I switch my diet and exercise routine up. My trainer suggested we would be changing things every 6 weeks (by the way, that never happened). I realize this is asking a big question. This site is sooo big and if anyone can recommend a thread to read that would be helpful too.

Thank you in advance for your always helpful responses.

Julie

Picture to follow once I figure how to post them again

ouch...I thought $150 a month was alot. Is this the going rate for online services?

Last edited:
I've noticed a difference in pricing from coach to coach but $150 you won't find from really good guys that are found on here and a couple other places. Shelby's good though. I'm currently working with skip and lovin it. Just the dieting side of it. Training I'm on my own.

Last edited:
Personal trainers suck 95+ percent of the time and are a waste of cash. 5 percent are very good. The top producing personal trainer at the chain of 24 hour fitness' around here is a good friend and ...I am his 'coach'. Keep in mind,it's his full time job and he's the number one producing trainer(has the MOST clients of anybody else).

The NASM test means absolutely zilch.

Also I personally feel that paying 300 dollars for a short amount of time is far too expensive unless you are consuming an extraordinarIly unnecessary amount of the persons time.

If you really are in need of help and can't do it yourself, then find somebody with good track record that doesn't break your bank. Feel free to look into online training from people that know what theyre doing. Pretty sure somebody like Phil hernon would help you and you would get better results through him for a FRACTION of the cost(and you don't even have to meet him in person...).
I train people too but I'm currently booked, have about 30 now and it's too much just for being a side hobby (was originally planning on only 10 or less). Pm me if you need any more guidance on finding the right person. I know there's a few people on this website that do it.

Don't get screwed over brother.
look into some of the ifbb pros that help people on this website.

Warm regards,
trin

Last edited:
I used Phil in the past. Worth every penny.

Yes he is very very good.
Only thing I disagree with him about is the main Chest,Quad,and Tricep training ive seen him give others because it doesn't feasibly work for everybody haha.

Photo posting

Thanks for the advice, I was reading one of Phil's post threads and considering him.

So the explaination of how to post a photo says go to the UserCP and go to "pictures and Albums". Well that field does not exist as far as i can tell. Does this have something to do with me not having enough posts or something.

Personal trainers suck 95+ percent of the time and are a waste of cash. 5 percent are very good. The top producing personal trainer at the chain of 24 hour fitness' around here is a good friend and ...I am his 'coach'. Keep in mind,it's his full time job and he's the number one producing trainer(has the MOST clients of anybody else).

The NASM test means absolutely zilch.

Also I personally feel that paying 300 dollars for a short amount of time is far too expensive unless you are consuming an extraordinarIly unnecessary amount of the persons time.

If you really are in need of help and can't do it yourself, then find somebody with good track record that doesn't break your bank. Feel free to look into online training from people that know what theyre doing. Pretty sure somebody like Phil hernon would help you and you would get better results through him for a FRACTION of the cost(and you don't even have to meet him in person...).
I train people too but I'm currently booked, have about 30 now and it's too much just for being a side hobby (was originally planning on only 10 or less). Pm me if you need any more guidance on finding the right person. I know there's a few people on this website that do it.

Don't get screwed over brother.
look into some of the ifbb pros that help people on this website.

Warm regards,
trin

I'm thinking Tigerlilly is a female, correct me is I'm wrong, Tiger!

photo

I'm trying to post a photos?

ok that worked and yes as you can see from the photos tigerlily is a woman.

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 340
Another try

Hope this one comes out right side up. I have no idea why the avatar and that photo comes up sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_1883 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1883 (Medium).JPG
    181 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Lol I apologize,the lighting is a bit dim at nurses station and the pictures small on phone. Yes she is obviously a female :rolleyes:

hire a "personal trainer" ONLY if you need to learn proper form. Hire a "coach" or "trainer" on here if you already know how to lift and want to know how to achieve your goals. (lifting usually has less to do with reaching your goals than diet and drugs)
a personal trainer is not worth much, but pay them a lil to teach you form, then ditch em and pay a coach or trainer or guru on here to take your physique and goals to the next level.
-JS

How's Phil's communication?

I worked with him in 2007. He was great. Really thorough. And patient.

Asked me a fuck ton of questions and double checked everything to make sure we were on the same page. Tons of emails exchanged regularly.

He took a lot of time with me. I was impressed.

I got stronger, bigger, and felt more healthy (esp cardio) in such a short period of time. I was shocked. And I was doing less in the gym. Less sets, less total time. Just training smarter.

Low volume baby.
I just don't totally agree with the whole 1 exercise for quads,etc. But everything is completely solid.
he is by far the best I have come across thus far. Dude is phenomenal....
what happened anyways?how come he doesn't post here anymore?

Low volume baby.
I just don't totally agree with the whole 1 exercise for quads,etc. But everything is completely solid.
he is by far the best I have come across thus far. Dude is phenomenal....
what happened anyways?how come he doesn't post here anymore?

I don't know. I did see a thread a few months ago about him being unhappy with some things. I don't know so I can't comment on it. I'm sure someone in the know will.

I don't remember if I agreed to not give out specifics of his training or not, so I won't. LOL. I don't remember what I did for quads with him. I remember a lot of the other stuff, but damn, I can't recall leg day.

When I moved 3 years ago, I found my gym bag covered in mold in the basement. I had all my notes and journal from when I trained with him. All gone. :( Soggy, moldy, mess.

I like to think that Phil is ghbrah trolling the shit out of us. :D

Mr. Hernon hasn't posted much since the fiasco with the whole LBA thing.

I'm sure Phil is great but lets be real, no one brings people into the type of condition that Shelby does. If I had the cash my first pick would be Shelby or John Meadows. Look at how shredded they both get, the fact that they do it themselves speaks volumes.

Would you mind filling Trinity and myself in on the LBA fiasco? Or is a taboo subject that we're not supposed to discuss?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131