over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

losing air at bottom of dead lift

warriordogx

Registered
I have a big gut and when I use a belt or a squat suit I find it hard to hold my air and to even get a good grip on the bar. Any tips beside losing the belly?

I have a big gut and when I use a belt or a squat suit I find it hard to hold my air and to even get a good grip on the bar. Any tips beside losing the belly?

dont wear a belt...i know it sounds crazy but a couple of my 300+ buddies dont wear a belt or wear it very loose....you should def. try it out

can't really think of much besides going to a sumo stance, which probably isn't an option

unless you can move your legs to make room for your gut, only having a rounded back will give you more space for air

edit: strong bump

roll the bar into you so you start with it farther out and roll it into your legs to begin the pull. and grip and rip. don't waste so much time at the bottom position

Beltless works the best.

It's been forever since I tried deadlifting in a squat suit.
I think squat suit and loose belt might work. But first I need to heal a forearm injury so I can grip the bar properly.

your guy may be taking a large amount of weight off the bar, you might be surprised at how much stronger you get if you dropped a few inches off your waist.

my tip is to keep the bar far away from your legs when setting up, grab the bar, deep breath, pull the bar towards your shins and drop your hips at the same time, when it hits your shins explode off the floor.

but if your truly too fat, you just about wont be able to deadlift without rounding your back or not having enough air, and the bar will drife away from your legs due to your belly pushing against your legs/the belt and keeping your shoulders too far forward.

at least thats how it was for me.

i also agree with droping the belt, as that seems to make the problem worse.

i wouldnt drop the belt i would wear it higher, above your belly button so it doesnt bind you up but still allows for back support and something for your abs to push on.

Set your shins on the bar and then straight leg your grip on the bar. Take a deep breath and then bend your knees and pull.

I don't know why no one is telling you the obvious answer here. Lose the damn gut man. You don't gotta drop down to 6% bf but if your gut is to big to dead then it's to big. That's plain and simple. Do some more ab work and tighten the diet up for a few weeks. You will most likely be strong anyways.

I don't know why no one is telling you the obvious answer here. Lose the damn gut man. You don't gotta drop down to 6% bf but if your gut is to big to dead then it's to big. That's plain and simple. Do some more ab work and tighten the diet up for a few weeks. You will most likely be strong anyways.

There you go! big guts gotta go somewhere like not letting your lungs fill.
I've seen MANY big squatters and belly tossing benchers that couldn't pull worth a shit. Don't get me wrong some were really strong lifters, they just could not set up optimally to pull what they were capable of if they didn't have the big gut. In the mean time lose or loosen the belt till the gut comes down.

Have you tired pulling sumo, I would think that if you had good sumo set up your back would be nearly vertical at the beginning of the pull causing less issues with your belly. Without seeing your body or your pull its hard to analyze or give advice.

I personally pull conventional but i can pull the same weights either way. Im about 6'2", so my sumo set up is: shins off the bar about 2.5", get my air and while keeping my upper body vertical lower my butt straight down. Really focusing on pushing my knees out. Find the bar and pull, I find that its harder for me to get a good air in the bottom, so this is a quick approach.

I use the same air technique for my conventional pull too, my best pull in a meet in 765 with a belt only.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131