over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low carb diet.

emeric delczeg

IFBB PRO / Verified Customer
IFBB PROS
Registered
Verified Customer
A low-carb, high-fat diet might help some people lose weight, but it could be deadly to those with a family history of heart disease, according to research presented March 25 at a meeting of the American College of Cardiology in Chicago.

Researchers from the University of Alabama at Birmingham found that obese rats fed a high-fat, low-carb diet — comparable to what many humans consume — had more damaging and deadly heart attacks than obese rats fed a low-fat diet.

Worse, the findings suggest that this type of diet also impairs recovery immediately following a heart attack.
Although the researchers say that low-carb diets do have benefits, they advise caution.

"Right now, if I were considering a high-fat, low-carb diet, I would ask myself if the benefits outweigh the heart-attack issues this research has revealed," said Steven Lloyd of UAB, who led a set of four complementary studies.

"If I had heart disease or I was predisposed to having a heart attack, I would think carefully before starting this type of diet."

Carbs vs. fats
Carbohydrates from foods such as vegetables, nuts and grains have been the primary source of calories for most of the world's people for millennia. The World Health Organization advocates a diet in which 55 percent to 75 percent of daily calories come from carbohydrates; 15 percent to 30 percent from fats; and 10 percent to 15 percent from proteins. [7 Perfect Survival Foods]

The low-carb Zone Diet advocates a 40:30:30 ratio of carbs, fats and proteins, respectively; the Atkins Diet can be as low as 20 percent carbohydrates, with less concern about the protein-fat ratio. There is considerable scientific support for these low-carb diets as weight-loss programs. And Lloyd emphasized that his research does not suggest that high-fat, low-carb diets cause heart attacks.

Nevertheless, the long-term impact of high protein intake and fat on the heart and other organs is not well known.

At the heart of the damage
Lloyd and his colleagues focused only on naturally occurring heart attacks. They found that for obese rats on a high-fat diet, when a heart attack hit, it was larger and more punishing, causing more damage to the heart muscle and leaving less chance of recovery compared with equally obese rats on a low-fat diet.

One reason might be the role of fat in inducing oxidative stress and creating free radicals, which are highly reactive atoms and molecules that damage DNA and cellular walls, ultimately killing heart muscle cells.

Another reason, Lloyd said, could be that for the rats on a high-fat diet their hearts may have been starved for energy. Carbohydrates are the most efficient fuel when the heart is trying to recover from a damaging event, he said. In the high-fat diet, the primary fuel is ketones from fat metabolism, which is adequate for a healthy heart but not a damaged one. The lack of glucose that would have been supplied by carbohydrates leaves the heart less able to heal itself.

Many advocates on both sides of the diet debate — the low-fat and low-carb camps — have reached some common ground in recent years. Both camps now emphasize "good carbs," which are complex carbohydrates found in whole grains and beans, as opposed to the simple carbs found in sugar, white bread and potatoes; and "good fats," such as the healthful omega-3 fatty acids found in some fish, and unsaturated fats found in poultry.
Someday, we might all eat at the same table.

Great article.

Emeric,
what do you consider low card diet? How much grams of carbs is low for you and you would never go below?
What about fats? How much is enough and not too much? Does it depends on bodyweight or no matter your are 150 or 300 pounds you need the same amount of fats per day?

Good post, food for thought.

Great article.

Emeric,
what do you consider low card diet? How much grams of carbs is low for you and you would never go below?
What about fats? How much is enough and not too much? Does it depends on bodyweight or no matter your are 150 or 300 pounds you need the same amount of fats per day?

I would like to know this as well. It seems like I always read so many mixed reviews about Carbs. Like if on a cut diet how low is too low and what's to high? Should one spread out the carbs during the day or should you keep them only pre/post workout?

Kind of topic but, I usually get home from work around 5pm...eat my pre workout meal(lean ground turkey/Rice) and take a 1hr-2hr nap...get up and go workout. Is this not a good idea??

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Emric , what are your thoughts about the test having false info , or info not relivant to us because it's run on rats?

what I mean is , rats arn't omnivore like humans so is it possible they dietary fat as a differant effect on them as it does humans?

What is the same test were run on Chimpanzees or even a carnivore like a dog or cat , would their body be able to process the fats better than an omnivore or herbivore?

Not trying I start an argument but I've read several pieces stating that the old cholesterol test are scewed because of the animals used not being desgined to process dietary fats.Some of the articals I read mentioned Eskimo's having a very low rate of heart disease and they diet being made up of 80% fat with near zero carbs
of course that has alot to do with genetics but again the test run on rats ??

well what were the fat sources?

big difference between eating crisco, lard, cream cheese and vegetable oil

and

grass fed beef, omega eggs, nuts, cocnut oil, salmon, etc

jus sayin...

Last edited:
Great post

I'm currently in ketosis and have cut out all carbs and supplementing fats with mct oil and flax oil
I have great energy all day long sleep better and more importantly can see a massive difference in my body after only 3 weeks

I have been carb cycling, low carbs through the week and high carbs 2 days on weekends. Would this have the same effect? I have a bad family history of heart disease/heart attacks. This sounds like bad news to me -.-

Relax

Everybody relax, this is for people with history of heart disease.

I would like to know this as well. It seems like I always read so many mixed reviews about Carbs. Like if on a cut diet how low is too low and what's to high? Should one spread out the carbs during the day or should you keep them only pre/post workout?

Kind of topic but, I usually get home from work around 5pm...eat my pre workout meal(lean ground turkey/Rice) and take a 1hr-2hr nap...get up and go workout. Is this not a good idea??

Am also interested in your thought's.....

Am also interested in your thought's.....

Carbohydrates are needed for proper functioning of the brain, the kidneys, the liver and red blood cells. For athletes I would say 60% of the daily calories should be carbs minimum. Try to eliminate refined sugar and carbs totally if is possible.

Try to relapse your rice with oat before training, and have rice after training.

Carbohydrates are needed for proper functioning of the brain, the kidneys, the liver and red blood cells. For athletes I would say 60% of the daily calories should be carbs minimum. Try to eliminate refined sugar and carbs totally if is possible.

do you suggest this for precontest dieting as well?

how low do you bring carbs (as a percentage%) when dieting for a competition?

Emric , what are your thoughts about the test having false info , or info not relivant to us because it's run on rats?

what I mean is , rats arn't omnivore like humans so is it possible they dietary fat as a differant effect on them as it does humans?

What is the same test were run on Chimpanzees or even a carnivore like a dog or cat , would their body be able to process the fats better than an omnivore or herbivore?

Not trying I start an argument but I've read several pieces stating that the old cholesterol test are scewed because of the animals used not being desgined to process dietary fats.Some of the articals I read mentioned Eskimo's having a very low rate of heart disease and they diet being made up of 80% fat with near zero carbs
of course that has alot to do with genetics but again the test run on rats ??

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
The average mouse geneis is about 85% similar to its human homolog.

There's tons of literature on why rats and mice are used for medical research.

Here's a very nice article From Linus Pauling
PaulingTherapy.com - Reversing Heart Disease w/o Drugs is Possible

One should by very concerned with their LP(a) levels, even in the presence of a good lipid profile.

Last edited:
i cant cut weight on low carbs... i had a diet coach for a while who was trying to make me cut on 120g carbs a day... i couldn't do it... when i upped my carbs to 300-400g a day im not only much happier, but i can function in the gym and im STILL losing weight at the same rate without the feeling of passing out or needing to binge...

low carb craze is just awful in my opinion.

i love my 30p/50c/20f diet for cutting

i cant cut weight on low carbs... i had a diet coach for a while who was trying to make me cut on 120g carbs a day... i couldn't do it... when i upped my carbs to 300-400g a day im not only much happier, but i can function in the gym and im STILL losing weight at the same rate without the feeling of passing out or needing to binge...

low carb craze is just awful in my opinion.

i love my 30p/50c/20f diet for cutting

I drop Wright fast on low carb but a lot is muscle. I like to cycle my carbs

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I drop Wright fast on low carb but a lot is muscle. I like to cycle my carbs

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i was gunna do 3 day carb cycles... d1: 550 d2: 300 d3: 50 d4: repeat

but i figure screw it. ill just carb up every 4-5 days or so, reset then keep going... im way to active to run on 50 carbs on any one day, even if it is an off day.

Yes, I have recently upped my carbs to around 100 grams per day w/things like oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and small amounts of Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese. I eat most of my carbs before 3-4pm daily and have kept my protein high. My weight has gone up a bit (150 lbs) since upping the carbs, yet continue to see many positive changes!

We are thinking about eventually carb cycling but haven't really gotten to that part yet....

Any thoughts welcome.....

Last edited:
Interesting article. Although most of my research indicates we evolved on a high fat,protein diet. Our ancestors were hunter gatherers subsisting primarily on fresh killed fatty meat.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131