over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low Fat Diets

DIEZEL666

Registered
There was a post over on Mayhem that got me thinking. It was mentioned that in the 80's and early 90's everyone followed a moderate protein/high carb/low fat diet and people consistently hit their peaks and had awesome conditioning. Today more people use a higher fat approach and carb cycle and it seems to be more of a crapshoot come contest time.

What are some peoples opinions/experiences with this?

I certainly had an easier time with the 80's diet, but then again, I was much younger. The problem I had was staying full-looking towards the end of the diet.

Well, it also made me think. Carbs are protein sparing which could be why guys weren't boatloading the protein back then. They could get away with 1-1.5g of protein per lb because of the amount of carbs they ate.

I am no diet expert, BUT

When I diet, I take in a tad over 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM and make up the rest of the calories with carbs.

I'll gradually reduce them. and then cycle them.

This has definately worked the best for me. Scott Abel had this diet plan on his old website where he had alot of articles (cycle diet). Most of his clients come in very sharp for contests. I have it saved if you would like to have it Deizel. Whether I do other diets "incorrectly" remains to be said. But from personal experience, this works the best for me when i want to lose fat and it is simple to follow.

The only fat I would get is from Fish Oil Pills, or whatever fat is in fish or chicken. I also use alot of protein powder.

Last edited:
thats what I follow, a high carb, med pro, and low to med fat. The carbs do help preserve the muscle, If you are consuming too much protien and are not able to synthasize it, it will cause oxidative damage and free radicals in the body. My persoanl opinion is that there is a food pyramid for a reason with the majority of calories coming from carbs. they are easier for the body to break down and dont cause stress to the organs as much as a high protien diet.

i don't like this approach at all. i think high protein with mod/high fat and low carbs works much better and is far more "muscle sparing". i believe it was our own magnum that said protein is most important then fat and then carbs. i completely agree.

Conan21 said:
When I diet, I take in a tad over 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM and make up the rest of the calories with carbs.

I'll gradually reduce them. and then cycle them.

This has definately worked the best for me. Scott Abell had this diet plan on his old website where he had alot of articles (cycle diet). I have it saved if you would like to have it Deizel. Whether I do other diets "incorrectly" remains to be said. But from personal experience, this works the best for me when i want to lose fat and it is simple to follow.

The only fat I would get is from Fish Oil Pills, or whatever fat is in fish or chicken. I also use alot of protein powder.

Conan,

I would like to see a copy of that article if you could. Thanks.

No Problem

DIEZEL666 said:
Conan,

I would like to see a copy of that article if you could. Thanks.

I am at work right now 3-11.

I will send it tonight or tomorrow.
PM me your E-mail address

Actually, the problem with excess protein is intraconversion in the liver to fats, not free radical damage or being "hard" on organs.

For years it's been claimed that high protein diets were "hard" on the kidneys, but the last time I looked at MedLine, no conclusive human data has shown this outside of patients with pre-existing kidney disease.

well from what I've read.

Athletes only need 1 gram of protein per lb of LBM to sustain and build muscle. There are studies that show that and that is what Scot Abel preaches. It's not so much that higher protein causes damage to the body.

With that said, I think we could all agree that carbs give you the most energy and strength of the 3 nutrients. They also help drive amino acids into cells via insulin.

So the theory is just take in the amount of protein that you need because it leaves alot of extra calories you can make up with carbs. With the higher amount of carbs you feel way better and perform better.

As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose fat.

Last edited:
Dad said:
Actually, the problem with excess protein is intraconversion in the liver to fats, not free radical damage or being "hard" on organs.

For years it's been claimed that high protein diets were "hard" on the kidneys, but the last time I looked at MedLine, no conclusive human data has shown this outside of patients with pre-existing kidney disease.

I remeber seeing a study stating that excess protien if not being utalized will cause oxadative stress and inflamatiom, seeing what we know now about inflamation pretty much being the root of all evil, I would think it would cause some tress to the organs, but not directly to the kidneys as you stated dad, I have not been able either to find any conclusive evidence that stated excess protien caused a direct stress to the kidneys

I agree with the intraconversion to fats as one of the main problems of excess protien, The excess will be converted to glucose and stored as glycogen or fat. You could get away with as little as 1grm per pound the important part is macronutrient timing,and getting an insulin spike when it is most beneficial. If you eat only protien and fats are you going to build muscle? Nope why is that? because your blood glucose wont ever get high enough to trigger a significant insulin response. So do you need 400 grms of proteing per day to build muscle, probably not. You need carbs and you need AA's to be high in blood post workout with high insulin levels, because that is when cells are going to be utilizing AA's for AA's to rebuild actin, myosin, and make more of them within the muscle cell.

Yep, I think you're right. Inflammation certainly is, overall, a problem, I just hadn't read anything about this associated with protein intake.

But, hey, I'm an old guy, and can't read everything LOL.

Let us know if you find any further info on this!

Dad said:
Yep, I think you're right. Inflammation certainly is, overall, a problem, I just hadn't read anything about this associated with protein intake.

But, hey, I'm an old guy, and can't read everything LOL.

Let us know if you find any further info on this!

there are a few studys on this, I will try to find links and post.

I perform worse on carbs (even 200gr a day will do the trick), I'm lethargic and bloated all day

I'm not even going to 'bulk' on carbs anymore + I just dont see the use for carbs other than filling up your calories

I also doubt you will feel more energetic on a 4000kcal diet with 500gr carbs opposed to a 4000 kcal diet with only 50 gr of carbs

Moen said:
I perform worse on carbs (even 200gr a day will do the trick), I'm lethargic and bloated all day

I'm not even going to 'bulk' on carbs anymore + I just dont see the use for carbs other than filling up your calories

I also doubt you will feel more energetic on a 4000kcal diet with 500gr carbs opposed to a 4000 kcal diet with only 50 gr of carbs

Its crazy how some people will react differntly to different things , I have heard this from so many different people, just a question for ya, what does your diet look like carbs fats pro, and what are your favorite sources for these? also if you dont mind what is you race? and blood type? I only ask because i have been researching blood type diets lately and have found some interesting things in my studies. If you dont want to answer, feel free not to, i know some of the questions are personal.

well i've only dieted down once for a competition and will never do it again as i really didn't enjoy any aspect of it :)

but when i do cut fat off i find i do MUCH better on high protein, mod carbs, and low fat ... when i lower carbs a lot and replace the cals with good fats i just don't lose as much fat and don't get as tight .. maybe i don't do it correctly but personally it seems i respond a lot better by lowering fats and keeping carbs higher

obviously both ways work .. it SEEMS dependant on the person

[/QUOTE]
glenihan said:
well i've only dieted down once for a competition and will never do it again as i really didn't enjoy any aspect of it :)
Oh, *THAT* is why your avatar never changes... :D

glenihan said:
but when i do cut fat off i find i do MUCH better on high protein, mod carbs, and low fat ... when i lower carbs a lot and replace the cals with good fats i just don't lose as much fat and don't get as tight .. maybe i don't do it correctly but personally it seems i respond a lot better by lowering fats and keeping carbs higher

obviously both ways work .. it SEEMS dependant on the person
I totally agree. I have moderate success with low fat, with terrible cravings. I have better success with lowered carbs and some fat with my protein.

km2000 said:
Its crazy how some people will react differntly to different things , I have heard this from so many different people, just a question for ya, what does your diet look like carbs fats pro, and what are your favorite sources for these? also if you dont mind what is you race? and blood type? I only ask because i have been researching blood type diets lately and have found some interesting things in my studies. If you dont want to answer, feel free not to, i know some of the questions are personal.

I eat about 4-500 grams of protein right now, 200 grams of healthy fats with about 40 off the 200 coming from egg yolks and the rest from nuts (all kinds)
and my carbs totat at 40-50 gr day from whats in the nuts, I dont eat separate carbs at the moment

I'm caucasian and blood type AB (I'm not sure:eek: )

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131