over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low fat , High Carb Diet

Try different diets then you'll know whats best for your body. You can have people giving you there opionion all day but in the end its your body. Everyone is different

Yes. If people say they really feel better on it than that is what they should do obviously. This is, at least what I gather from it, what Phil Hernon does. Searching together with the client which foods/macro's work rather than slotting them into a preset template.

I don't think anyone in this time and age is saying "no healthy fats allowed" when they say "low fat". Obviously you still need to ingest those.

You do realize that this "diet" only works when consuming low protien as well?

True. It's called the serotonin power diet. However even with protein in the meals I can tell you from my experience (as well as others) it still works to some extent. I'm prone to depression and can immediately tell when I cut out my carbs. Heck being on a no carb diet made my SSRI useless when I still took one. (not kidding)

We all know the that if you want to loose fat we have to stop eating fat . After all, fat has twice as many calories as carbs or protien, the doctors have linked fat to heart disease, obesity, and high cholesterol, so it makes since to not eat them. Right?

Then why is America fatter than ever? *Since 1970, Americans have been eating less and less fat. That's right. We eat less fat today than we did 40 years ago. However, the overall calories have INCREASED. But how could this be? We did what wad recommended and now we are fatter than ever!

Well it all starts with a study done in the 1950's called the Lipid Hypothesis. In this study, the aim was to prove a correlation between the amount of fat in a countries diet and the heart disease rates. And the end result showed a very obvious correlation. The more fat a country ate, the more at risk they were for heart disease. But one problem: the doctor doing the study picked and chose what contries results were posted. Infact, several countries ate higher amounts of fat than the top countries included in the study that had the LOWEST incidence of heart disease. For example, the Inuit's diet is comprised of 60-80 % of heavily saturated animal fat, yet heart disease is is unheard of.

It is said that we are fat because we eat more than ever. This is true, but why do we eat more than ever? I mean, I don't think people counted calories, practiced portion control, or worried about the fat in their food. People ate when they were hungry, ate until they were full, and went on with their life.

It is true that we are less active than before. But that means that we should be less hungry, right? The humans body works by increasing hunger as activity increases. But we are less active than ever, yet we eat more than ever. How is this?

When we replaced fats with carbohydrates (those cookies are
Fat free after all) it does something in our bodies. It jacks ups our insulin.*

Insulin is transport mechanism. It caries glucose from the blood stream to *recptor sites inside muscle and liver tissue as glycogen (this is were the body gets energy during intense exercise). After all the receptors are full, the excess is stored as fat. Since most of use don't exercise long enough to deplete glycogen, most is stored as fat.

Insulin is also highly anabolic. Infact, it is argued to be one of the most anabolic hormones in the body. However, it is competly anabolic. It builds muscle and fat at rapid rate, and can totally blunt the oxidation of fat for energy for several hours.

When we eat carbohydrates, the body breaks down the carb into glucose and resleases this glucose into the blood stream. You may know this as "blood sugar." well blood sugars like the remain at a constant 90 value (ng/dl). No more no less. When we eat carbs, especially highly refined, our blood sugar gets elevated. The body releases it's transport mechanism, insulin, to lower this blood sugar.*

But, when high glycemic carbs especially are eaten, the blood sugars get jacked up so fast the body just starts dumping huge amounts of insulin to get the blood sugar down. But in the
midst of this insulin chaos, the body releases TOO much insulin. So after *blood sugar gets down to it's preferred 90 ng/dl blood sugar levels, there is still a ton of insulin transporting the
*Blood sugar to receptors.

Did you know that it is this drop in blood sugar is what sends people in diabetic shock? It's hypoglycemia, and it can kill. Your body does have a system in place to raise blood sugar with out carbs, involving a hormone called glucagon. But the body is in cris mode, we need this blood sugar raised NOW.*

So the body sends out hunger hormones, sending you jonesing for something to eat, especially something sweet. Starting the cycle all over again.*

So before you decide to cut fat out of your diet consider this:

- carbohydrates are unessential to our survival as humans. We have essential amino acids, essential fatty acids, but not essential carbohydrates

- over half of the cell membranes are made of saturated fats

- cholesterol is vital for hormone production

-when the body is deprived of fat, it will horde the fat so it can synthesize hormones

- studies show that men who eat a higher percentage of fat in their diet have higher testosterone levels

I'm not sayin that carbs are the devil, they are very useful and recommended, but don't discount the value as fat.

LOL--GLUCOSE is not ESSENTIAL to physiological funtion!??? YES, it is, which is why the body can MAKE it's own glucose if it HAS to...

That is the stupidest argument I've been hearing for low-carb diets..

Kinda weird, cause I'm working with Alex who advocates something I was against but the reason I hired him was cause I was going nowhere, so I guess the opposite is what I needed?

So far, this type of diet I'd never have gone on my own. If I did this diet on my own, I KNOW I would've felt puffy, soft, retained water, etc. would've panicked and backed out. But strangely enough, I don't feel this way at all. Some days I do feel a little bloated, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I store abdominal fat at a high rate, am on a very high protein, moderate carb, low fat diet to gain some muscle and it's going good. I don't know my macros, or my caloric amount, but that's what I'm getting from what I'm eating.

Tons of meat. A serving of each rice, potatoes, pasta, bread. A bit of chicken, egg whites, and protein powder then a bit of almonds/egg yolks.

I intend to try out different stuff, but I think a lot goes with your training/cardio. If you do limited cardio, and like a 3-day split of low volume, and just not that active...less carbs perhaps.

I'm prone to depression and can immediately tell when I cut out my carbs.

What's your vitamin D intake like? I've recently been reading about depression and low levels of vitamin D

As for the rest of this thread, hit your protein requirements and make the rest of your calories up from fat and carbohydrates. The ratio of those 2 is dependant on you. You can get ripped with either approach.

Fats are essential though. If you know anything about the body, you would be wise not to drop them too low because of your endocrine system. Super supps can cover up these problems for the short term because the body won't be required to produce certain hormones if they are being added to the body anyway. But for long term health, do not follow a fat restricted diet.

LOL--GLUCOSE is not ESSENTIAL to physiological funtion!??? YES, it is, which is why the body can MAKE it's own glucose if it HAS to...

That is the stupidest argument I've been hearing for low-carb diets..

It was not an argument for low carb it was an argument against low fat diets.

Carbs are important for every gurus diet. Why do you think they advocate refeed days? But what I don't hear is the importance of fat in a diet.

True. It's called the serotonin power diet. However even with protein in the meals I can tell you from my experience (as well as others) it still works to some extent. I'm prone to depression and can immediately tell when I cut out my carbs. Heck being on a no carb diet made my SSRI useless when I still took one. (not kidding)

That's intresting. So do you seporate protien and carb meals?

Kinda weird, cause I'm working with Alex who advocates something I was against but the reason I hired him was cause I was going nowhere, so I guess the opposite is what I needed?

So far, this type of diet I'd never have gone on my own. If I did this diet on my own, I KNOW I would've felt puffy, soft, retained water, etc. would've panicked and backed out. But strangely enough, I don't feel this way at all. Some days I do feel a little bloated, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I store abdominal fat at a high rate, am on a very high protein, moderate carb, low fat diet to gain some muscle and it's going good. I don't know my macros, or my caloric amount, but that's what I'm getting from what I'm eating.

Tons of meat. A serving of each rice, potatoes, pasta, bread. A bit of chicken, egg whites, and protein powder then a bit of almonds/egg yolks.

I intend to try out different stuff, but I think a lot goes with your training/cardio. If you do limited cardio, and like a 3-day split of low volume, and just not that active...less carbs perhaps.

Alex's diet stragity works well , keeping enough carbs to keep you full and have energy but not to much to prevent fat loss. Its probably the easiest one ive tried to follow.

A friend of our family (42yrs old) started a diet given to him by sombody supposedly that has used Chris Aceto for a prep , so far its working awsom for him , its high protein , moderate carbs and moderate fats but supposedly its the timing that is the key.
This fella started the diet at about 320lbs probably 30-40% BF 6'3", he does weights 4 days a week , 2 on 1 off sort of a DC style and does cardio post training 20 min HIIT and on his days off he does 60 min fasted LISS cardio.He has been following this diet to the tee for 11 weeks now and is making very good progress.

He has tried several extreme diets in the past including the 500 cal HCG diet and so far he is having the best success with this one i think more becuase its easy to follow.
I had inquired as to what he was doing so he e-mail it to me. I broke the macros down and it looks like this

5:00 , 65g protein , 50g carbs , 10g fat

7:30 , 65g protein , 25gr carbs , 10g fat

10:00 , 65g protein , 25g carbs , 10g fat

12:30 , 65g protein , 25g carbs , 10g fat

2:00 , intratraining , 20g BCAA , 10g Dextrose , 10g glutamine ,10g creatine

3:30 , 65g protein , 50g carbs (1/2 dextrose , 1/2 oats for carbs)

6:00 , 65gr protein , 25g fat

8:30 , 65g protein , 25g fat

totaly 3370 cals , 455g protein , 185g carbs and 90g fat , not sure i'd call that low carb or low fat i think sort of moderate for both

so far his weight is down about 30 lbs , his strength is way up his endurance is way up , he is off several meds for cholestorol and blood pressure and his body composition has changed ALOT rather than looking like a big fat guy he looks like a NFL defensive tackle in decient shape. He says he wants to try to compete in bodybuilding on day maybe next year.

would he have lost more fat on a keto diet? , or on a higher carb lower fat diet? maybe but i think those both would be harder to follow than what he is doing now

Low carb diets have a direct change on the brains chemistry and elimates an energy source essentially from what I have read for the brain.

On low carb I feel like I operate at 25% mentally

I have commented on this thread (Great thread btw)

I disagree.

This is why you need to intake high fats into your diet with low carbs. When doing so, you will feel 125% better mentally. The energy source comes form good fats.

I disagree, even with the above google search. However, this is my body and everybody is differ

High fat/high protein and lowish carbs has always worked best for me for fatloss while still feeling normal. High fat and protein gives me good satiety while the little bit of carbs 100-150g carbs makes me feel good mentally and physically for regular tasks and still have good energy for workouts.

That's intresting. So do you seporate protien and carb meals?

No since I get about the same effect when combining them. (I feel it when the dopamine-serotonin-balance starts to tilt over too much to dopamine, get annoyed by minor things, moody etc) But you are right that for the full effect to take place you'd either have to have carb only snacks, a low protein intake or separate carbs and protein. It's still better than little to no carbs though, especially when taking in a lot of protein. Something like the Palumbo-diet would send me and a lot of other people into dopamine-overkill. Combine that with steroids and you get even more of an unwanted dopamine boost.

Cool thread. Lots of interesting thoughts here.

My take after ~8yrs of serious training + dieting. Everyone's metabolism, digestion, body, etc is different (duh). I believe people should:

1- Start out trying to gain LBM with 1-1.5g p per lbm, then go high carb/low fat.
2- After ~4 months, try the same protein levels but go medium carb/medium fat (adjust total calories by how much lbm you gained and by increasing all macro calories evenly)
3-After ~4 months try gaining on low carb/higher fat (adjust total calories by how much lbm you gained and by increasing all macro calories evenly)

After 1 year you will know what you gain best on

Then do the same for cutting

So after 2 years you will know which diet works best for your body and you can stop worrying about all the new diets that come out and the new articles and just focus on training hard.

From what I've read and seen, it seems most people will grow best on med protein/med-high carb/low fats and cut best by running the same diet and gradually lowering and cycling carbs then they can either keep doing that to get ultra low bf% or they can switch to a palumbo style diet to shred up

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear