over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low ferritin, high iron

TommyJ

Registered
Newbies
Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for what my bloods are reading

Last cruise(5/15/21) period my total iron was. 295mcg/dl Reference range 50-195mcg/dl

Unfortunately I didn’t get ferritin tested on these bloods

A few months later I was 6 weeks out from my show on a full blast cycle, blood read this; (9/18/21)
Iron total;85mcg/dl. Ref 50-195mcg
Binding capacity: 300. Ref range 250-425mcg
Saturation: 28% ref range 20-48%
Ferritin: 130ng/ml ref range 38-380

Now the most recent cruise reads this (01/29/22)
Iron total: 249mcg/dl
Binding: 320mcg
Saturation: 78%
Ferritin : 18ng/ml

weekly gear totals;

Cruise doses are 200test 100mast

Prep cycle was
Test 700
DHB 500
Tren 400
Winstrol 50 ED

It’s worth noting that I did a double red blood donation on 6/02/21

And another donation on 9/22/21

Thank you guys!

Did you ask Dr. WebMD?

Definitely have iron deficiency. That's what donating blood will do, especially double reds. I learned that the hard way. 1 in 5 regular donors end up with iron deficiency because most people don't consume enough iron to replenish what is lost from donating blood. If you had a cbc done, I'll guess that mch and mchc were low and rdw was high. Iron is extremely important when it comes to making red blood cells. Without enough iron to make red blood cells, they lack oxygen, so you don't get enough oxygen through your body. Normal people with low ferritin levels will typically have low hemoglobin/hematocrit but for those on steroids, the steroids force the production of rbc, so hemoglobin and hematocrit can still be in range or even high but rbc will not be good, healthy cells. You want ferritin around 75-100. It's the number to worry about.

Typically, or at least in some cases, those with low iron will also have low b12 and low folic acid. Look for an iron supplement, preferably one made from heme iron(most likely from liver fractions) that also contains folic acid and b12. Cheap iron supplements, most common ones, are made from non heme iron and come from plants, very little is absorbed, like 5%. Can also cook with cast iron, it will increase iron content in food. Some country's that primarily cook with cast iron are known to have people that get iron poisoning. There is a such thing as too much. Supplementing iron will cause elevated reading at a blood donation center where they test "iron" levels, they really testing hemoglobin levels.

I speak from experience and countless hours of reading/research. I don't donate blood anymore.

Definitely have iron deficiency. That's what donating blood will do, especially double reds. I learned that the hard way. 1 in 5 regular donors end up with iron deficiency because most people don't consume enough iron to replenish what is lost from donating blood. If you had a cbc done, I'll guess that mch and mchc were low and rdw was high. Iron is extremely important when it comes to making red blood cells. Without enough iron to make red blood cells, they lack oxygen, so you don't get enough oxygen through your body. Normal people with low ferritin levels will typically have low hemoglobin/hematocrit but for those on steroids, the steroids force the production of rbc, so hemoglobin and hematocrit can still be in range or even high but rbc will not be good, healthy cells. You want ferritin around 75-100. It's the number to worry about.

Typically, or at least in some cases, those with low iron will also have low b12 and low folic acid. Look for an iron supplement, preferably one made from heme iron(most likely from liver fractions) that also contains folic acid and b12. Cheap iron supplements, most common ones, are made from non heme iron and come from plants, very little is absorbed, like 5%. Can also cook with cast iron, it will increase iron content in food. Some country's that primarily cook with cast iron are known to have people that get iron poisoning. There is a such thing as too much. Supplementing iron will cause elevated reading at a blood donation center where they test "iron" levels, they really testing hemoglobin levels.

I speak from experience and countless hours of reading/research. I don't donate blood anymore.
Crazy Jay, thanks for taking the time to write out this reply for me. I’m guessing that’s why my numbers improve when I’m “on”??

I will look into supplementing with iron and maybe increasing vit c as I believe this helps with absorption?

I’ll start using my cast iron pan as well.

Crazy Jay, thanks for taking the time to write out this reply for me. I’m guessing that’s why my numbers improve when I’m “on”??

I will look into supplementing with iron and maybe increasing vit c as I believe this helps with absorption?

Not sure on the vit c but if I remember correctly, calcium reduces iron absorption.

Vitamin C will only help with the absorption of non-heme iron (plant based). Will not help with heme iron.

Correct on every point great post! I was donating whole blood every 56 days and ended up with a huge iron deficiency problem.
Toal serum Iron was down to 13 and Ferritin at 10. Took me a year to get back to normal levels.

Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for what my bloods are reading

Last cruise(5/15/21) period my total iron was. 295mcg/dl Reference range 50-195mcg/dl

Unfortunately I didn’t get ferritin tested on these bloods

A few months later I was 6 weeks out from my show on a full blast cycle, blood read this; (9/18/21)
Iron total;85mcg/dl. Ref 50-195mcg
Binding capacity: 300. Ref range 250-425mcg
Saturation: 28% ref range 20-48%
Ferritin: 130ng/ml ref range 38-380

Now the most recent cruise reads this (01/29/22)
Iron total: 249mcg/dl
Binding: 320mcg
Saturation: 78%
Ferritin : 18ng/ml

weekly gear totals;

Cruise doses are 200test 100mast

Prep cycle was
Test 700
DHB 500
Tren 400
Winstrol 50 ED

It’s worth noting that I did a double red blood donation on 6/02/21

And another donation on 9/22/21

Thank you guys!

What was your MCV?

I was waiting for the hematologists to perform their due diligence via internet search followed by a post or two. Let's start with first principles.
1) Serum ferritin is the primary soluble iron storage protein in the body where it is mainly stored in bone marrow macrophages. Serum ferritin levels correlate with ferritin stores in the macrophages. Now here's the interesting part: ferritin synthesis in macrophages increases during inflammation and do you think AAS is pro-inflammatory? The answer is...no. To sum this part, decreased serum ferritin is clinically diagnostic for iron deficiency.

2) Serum iron represents iron bound to transferrin (the binding protein of iron which is synthesized in the liver). Here's a highly useful tip: most of the body's physiologically vital proteins are synthesized in the liver. The average normal serum iron level is 100 mcg/dL. To sum this part, when serum iron is low, ferritin and transferrin try to restore serum iron equilibrium. This very likely accounts for the low ferritin in the 2nd set of values (i.e. ferritin of 18, total iron of 249, etc.).

3) Serum TIBC (Total Iron Binding Capacity) basically correlates with the concentration of transferrin. For all intents and purposes, TIBC = Transferrin. Shocking, eh? Normal TIBC is ~300 mcg/dL. To sum this part, when ferritin stores are decreased, there is an increased synthesis of transferrin and since transferrin is = TIBC, it stands to reason that TIBC is also increased.

4) Iron saturation % represents the percentage of binding sites on transferrin that is occupied by iron. Iron sat % is easy to calculate. Iron sat % = (serum iron / TIBC) x 100

I was waiting for the hematologists to perform their due diligence via internet search followed by a post or two. Let's start with first principles.
1) Serum ferritin is the primary soluble iron storage protein in the body where it is mainly stored in bone marrow macrophages. Serum ferritin levels correlate with ferritin stores in the macrophages. Now here's the interesting part: ferritin synthesis in macrophages increases during inflammation and do you think AAS is pro-inflammatory? The answer is...no. To sum this part, decreased serum ferritin is clinically diagnostic for iron deficiency.

2) Serum iron represents iron bound to transferrin (the binding protein of iron which is synthesized in the liver). Here's a highly useful tip: most of the body's physiologically vital proteins are synthesized in the liver. The average normal serum iron level is 100 mcg/dL. To sum this part, when serum iron is low, ferritin and transferrin try to restore serum iron equilibrium. This very likely accounts for the low ferritin in the 2nd set of values (i.e. ferritin of 18, total iron of 249, etc.).

3) Serum TIBC (Total Iron Binding Capacity) basically correlates with the concentration of transferrin. For all intents and purposes, TIBC = Transferrin. Shocking, eh? Normal TIBC is ~300 mcg/dL. To sum this part, when ferritin stores are decreased, there is an increased synthesis of transferrin and since transferrin is = TIBC, it stands to reason that TIBC is also increased.

4) Iron saturation % represents the percentage of binding sites on transferrin that is occupied by iron. Iron sat % is easy to calculate. Iron sat % = (serum iron / TIBC) x 100
This makes alot of sense I really appreciate your reply

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner