over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lower back pain from the glute drive machine

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
My gym finally got a glute drive machine and I used it for the first time today

I've never done glute bridges before but I did a little research and tried to make sure I was driving with posterior pelvis tilt etc

But man my lower back is so pumped and tight and painful

Wondering what the cause is, whether its natural to the movement and will just get better with time, or maybe a sign my form is wrong, etc

How much weight were you using ?

Maybe you are using too extreme of a movement. Try a more moderate motion.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. Maybe stay with a limited range of motion up near full extension ?
How much weight were you using ?
Started with one plate per side, worked up to a few sets with three plates per side.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. Maybe stay with a limited range of motion up near full extension ?

Started with one plate per side, worked up to a few sets with three plates per side.
Ok that’s nothing to crazy as far as poundage goes

I could just picture your doing it with 6 plates a side lol

For me, it was a matter of making sure my abs were really contracted hard during the entire range of moving and that kept my proving in a neutral position.
Any anterior or posterior tilt on that piece of equipment really lit up my lower back.

Your glutes and low back share a common border. In order to support weight in a static or dynamic contraction they should have some sort of balance of strength and endurance. If one area has less strength and endurance it will fail first between the two and if you continue to provide the stimulus now you are allowing susceptibility to injury by allowing the muscle to no longer protect the connective tissue. In other words your low back is not equal to your glute strength and you should back off in weight or time under tension and let the low back catch up. Error on the side of your weakest link to avoid injury.

For me, it was a matter of making sure my abs were really contracted hard during the entire range of moving and that kept my proving in a neutral position.
Any anterior or posterior tilt on that piece of equipment really lit up my lower back.
That should've said "pelvis"...not "proving".

Also, make sure your movement is a hinging one, just folding in the middle. Too many bob their hips up and down, while keeping upper body stationary. Make sure your form is correct, and that youre not just moving your butt up and down

1) waaay too much weight
2) your movement execution needs improvement
3) have you done a cook hip lift or a single leg bridge test?
Take the test. Your answer will not be your glutes. Proceed with the following protocol he mentioned and then go back to the glute driver in 2 to 4 weeks using no more than a 45 on each side. If you can't hold the posterior tilt position and only feel the majority of your glutes do the work do not add weight.

Here's an old video on how to properly hip thrust.
Most people get spinal ext and little to no glute contraction.

If your hip flexors are tight and you are not activating your lower abs you will dump into your low back on the hip thrust. Try activating and stretching those first...I like hanging leg raises and reverse lunges or split squats.

I saw this the other day but didn't have time to post. I see the above video has been posted by Pericles so watch that and follow his advice. I was just going to post to perfect your execution and don't use more than 1 plate per side and just focus on execution and higher reps. Then over time slowly build up the weight. You see vids of women lifting huge amounts but don't think that is essential for getting great results from the movement.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws