over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lower Back Pain

BULKING_N

Registered
Can anyone give some advice please. Much appreciated. This is for my workout partner.. I have been unable to really find a solution for his lower back problem. He has consulted with a relative who is a physio..

" Basically, when I do these exercises, I feel no discomfort at all. The discomfort begins to manifest within a few hours of a workout including these exercises and will persist for about 2-4 days and will disappear every time. It’s a cycle – I do the exercise, I get the pain shortly after (but not during), I suck it up for a few days and it goes away. Basically, I can describe the pain as existing in this location: **broken link removed**. It only manifests when I am changing something. For example, if I am sitting down, I feel no discomfort at all. But when I get up, the transition to standing up will cause sharp pain in that area. Once I am standing, the pain subsides quickly and disappears. Every time I bend over in some way the pain occurs. Another situation is when I try to lift my left leg up, say, to put on a shoe or to put my leg into a pair of pants. I normally have to sit down and roll back into a bed or something and put my shoe on to avoid pain. Should I not do this, I can deal with the pain, but it does hurt fairly badly. Getting into my car sometimes causes the pain as I am lifting my left leg in. Another situation is if I am lying on my back and attempt to do a situp off the floor to stand up or something, the pain will occur in that area. I usually have to roll to my side and get up that way to avoid the pain. "

Has he had x-rays? MRIs?

Sounds like he may have a protruding disk or something similar...possibly nerve damage....but it's impossible to know without getting it examined. It sounds like from his description of when the pain occurs it happens primarily when his hips (and thus his spine) shift, altering the location of pressure on the lumbar. Could see a chiropractor also.

If there is no nerve pain involved and it is strictly a skeletal muscle issue, then the muscle that is causing the problems would be the quadratus lumborum. It functionally stabilizes the core of the body with its antagonist being the iliacus as well as the iliosaos, which also functionally stabilizes the the pelvis and torso upright. I would assume that since it has been an ongoing problem, that there is a great deal of compensation from all the muscles involved, meaning they are all in a shorten state in need of stretching and treated.

The quadratus lumborum contractually does: lateral flexion of spine, bilateral extension of the spine, elevates the hip when the hip is fixed and stabilizes the 12th rib during inhalation and forced exhalation. In order to get relief from the pain I would do contract relax stretching in all the directions the muscle contracts. I would also incorporate some type of foam rolling, however I would more than likely recommend a lacrosse ball so that it can get penetrate deeper.

There is a stretch that I have my clients do directly after I would on them on this muscle. Generally if I have to work on the quadratus, I then also have to work on the ilosoas as well as iliacus to get full relief. This would also take more than one treatment if it has been a persistent problem for the client. If I have time and you believe it will help I will try to send you video of me going through this stretching routine.

Sounds like you have a slipped disc or a even a ruptured one (fluid coming out) and it is compressing some nerves. The pain can manifest itself in many parts of the hip, back, or legs.

I have both. (I'll spare everyone the details of my journey with back issues and get right to the solution)

What happens is that when the disc is compressed, it takes a while to regain it's shape or get back in place. That is why it is difficult to do some of the things you described....like sit right up from a chair.

Are your hamstrings tight? Are you flexible?

Try stretching. A good stretching program.

This is what worked for me.

90 90 hip stretches and various on the ground leg stretches.

Oh yeah...Get an MRI and a proper diagnosis.

I am no doc, but I may be the best qualified to answer this (maybe a few others)....

starting about 5 years ago , I herniated 2 disc. at that time, I could not stand in one position to long, sit to long, or if overused would be irratated for days...ice ice ice.

what gave me relief? spinal epidural injection, if it truly is a herniated disc, this will bring down the swelling and cause it to take pressure off his spinal cord.

does he have numbness occassionally? (doesn't have to be always)..occasionally have sharp shooting pains? my guess is this would be the case.

IF IT IS....
spinal epidurals every 4-6 months will relieve the pain for the most part and even rid some of the numbness. sometimes this will allow the disc to heal itself.

if in the future still having problems...might need a discectomy, where they go in and shave part of the disc off that is hitting the nerve roots.

FOR ME..... 5 years later, my disc continued to herniate and rupture..thus continue leaking fluid. One day warming up on squats (only the bar)..the two disc finally gave out. Before I knew it my S1, L5, L4 were all sitting on top of each other.. Fast forward a year (after failed pain management)...I had to do the surgery, kicking and screaming I didnt want to, but I was out of options (I had tried everything from nerve blocks, killing the nerves in my back by burning them off internally, accupuncture, decompression) ALL FAILED.

for surgery they had to go in and first restore disc height, as all my vertebre were sitting on top of one another (my back was supposed to have 17mm of space)... so first they drilled up from between my tailbone and anus with a 15mm drill bit all the way up into the L3 vertebre (thru the center of them all)...then inserted a threaded rod, that restored the height.

Next step they fused the two vertebre that had collapsed. Then they cut me on the right side of the spine and inserted 3 pedicle screws, and on the left cut me again and inserted 2 facet screws...

worst pain ever...IN SHORT..tell your friend to get a MRI NOW and stay on top of it. if insurance will pay, MRI and CAT scan so they can see both kinds of tissue

****if anyone needs a fusion (single level) the best spot in the world where they have new artificial disc that are not approved here yet, STENUM HOSPITAL in germany... most insurance companys wont pay, and a single level is about 30k. My surgeon would have sent me myself, but said double level artificial disc is very risky.... but fusions are 50/50 may or may not work...starting to think mine didn't help much with pain..I dunno, I am just super frustrated and doing the best I can in the gym to build what I used to have... but between docs/meds/etc... doesn't leave much for supps... so GET IT FIXED NOW!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It is all skeletal muscular pain.. But I will tell him to have an MRI and also see a chiro

It is all skeletal muscular pain.. But I will tell him to have an MRI and also see a chiro

I would avoid a chiro, untill the MRI is done. Chiro's can make herniation or slipped disc worse.

Can anyone give some advice please. Much appreciated. This is for my workout partner.. I have been unable to really find a solution for his lower back problem. He has consulted with a relative who is a physio..

I have spinal stenosis.....i found out a month ago. All summer I had sciatica and finally got an MRI. I would suggest this to your friend. It sounds like a disc problem.

does any one here know how to read an MRI report? I just got one done and my chiro sounded like he was sugar coating the report.

Jesse, I am no doctor, but I know what to look for on MRI's in terms of spinal canal width and disks whether slipped/or degenerating. Obviously I am NOT a doctor NOR am I giving medical advice to anyone. Just would like to see your MRI....PM me

Aloha PM,

Bumping JQ. Sounds like you know more than the average lifter my friend.

Again proper diagnosis is the key. As a presenter on 'Spine Dysfunction and Rehabilitation', I can't stress this enough. Personally I would utilize Stuart McGills protocol, and then introduce Greg Roskopf's work muscle- activation technique.
www.muscleactivation.com.

A hui ho,
V55

do you cross your leg at the ankles when sitting on chair or sleeping at night?

i had that same pain, i made my legs straight, all the pain went away like magic. good luck!

I would avoid a chiro, untill the MRI is done. Chiro's can make herniation or slipped disc worse.

Highly AGREE - not all but many chiropracters would love to adjust you without even looking at what is wrong. Then blame it on subluxation and keep you coming back. I fell 30 feet and went to one and the dumb ass wanted to twist and contort me without looking at my medical records first. Scumbag said the first visit was free and then tried to bill me years later for thousands.

I am sure there are fine chiros out there but as with anything else you have to be careful

same like th same problem tht i had un till i lower th dosages on my tren, is ur friend on tren r promorns(cant spell srry)those r a no no with kidney tht hurt easy it take me around ten month to get tren out of my system now i use very low dosages for 3 weeks out of a yr, get em to check his kidneys;

I have to agree with many on here I have been putting up with back issues for over 5 yrs. now in the same situations. Get examined by a doc and xrays w/ mri's. I have went throughy shots and medication but nothing has helped me more then focusing more on that region which is hurt in my routines. And taking other routines out of my everyday life. For me yoga has been a saving grace along with long stretching before bed. I always do a set or two of roman chairs or light weight deadlifts four to five times a week. moving my wallet out of my back pocket to help realighn my spine throughout the day even helped some. This is just what has helped me more then docs, meds, shots, and chiro's but it all depends on his body. Good luck in finding a solution.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear