over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

lower back soreness

dr intensity

Registered
hey guys,
i made some tremondous strength improvements on deadlifts but it came with a price ie... my back is sore for almost a week and my performance on squats is suffering.... although i have tried to keep my back and leg workout as far as possible ( i try to keep a gap of around 5 day between my back and leg workout)

i do one all out set to failure.
my split is

day 1. Back biceps
close grip weighted chins 1 x 6 to 10
barbell rows 1 x 6 to 10
deadlifts 1 x 6 to 10
shrugs 1 x 6 to 10
machine curls 1 x 10 to 15
barbell curls 1 x 10 to 15

day 3 chest shoulder triceps

day 5 legs
leg extension 1 x 12 to 15
squats 1 x 6 to 10
leg press 1 x 25 to 30
leg curls 1 x 10 to 15
standing calf raises 1 x 15 to 20

wud really appreciate your advice
thank you

hey guys,
i made some tremondous strength improvements on deadlifts but it came with a price ie... my back is sore for almost a week and my performance on squats is suffering.... although i have tried to keep my back and leg workout as far as possible ( i try to keep a gap of around 5 day between my back and leg workout)

i do one all out set to failure.
my split is

day 1. Back biceps
close grip weighted chins 1 x 6 to 10
barbell rows 1 x 6 to 10
deadlifts 1 x 6 to 10
shrugs 1 x 6 to 10
machine curls 1 x 10 to 15
barbell curls 1 x 10 to 15

day 3 chest shoulder triceps

day 5 legs
leg extension 1 x 12 to 15
squats 1 x 6 to 10
leg press 1 x 25 to 30
leg curls 1 x 10 to 15
standing calf raises 1 x 15 to 20

wud really appreciate your advice
thank you

are you experiencing pain when you try to squat? I'm confused what you meant by 'performance on squats is suffering'

exactly .... my lower back gives up much before my legs

i used to have the same problem. if you don't mind my asking, how much weight are we talking here?

it sounds like you are straining some part of your lower back, or even hips, when doing deadlifts, and it may be more of an injury situation than a recovering muscle situation.

are you having lower back/hip pain when you try to get out of bed, or when bending over the next day?

without seeing a video or anything else to go by, it might be worth going to see a PT.

my deads have have gone from 450 to 500 lbs 6 to 10 reps,
my squats are 405 x 8 to 10 reps....but due to the soreness its difficult for me to even complete 6 reps .....
then i tried reducing the wt on squats ie 315... but agaiin my lower back gives up too early... i can assure one thing that my form is very good...or else i would have had this problem much before....

its just the extreme soreness that develops just after my deadlifts are over ... it even becomes difficult to sit or drive my car.. lol

Last edited:
Deadlifts always make my lower back sore.

It'll last me about a day or so...(the pain)...

I've kinda always had lower back problems. Not really problems per say but ever since i was younger when i would shovel snow or vaccum the house my lower back would bother me for a little while after...
Maybe i've just never really did it the correct way.

Deadlifts always make my lower back sore.

It'll last me about a day or so...(the pain)...

previously i used to be fine in 2 or three days....soreness never interfered with my lleg workout......but for the last 2 months the same soreness has increased intensitywise as well as duration wise....

previously i used to be fine in 2 or three days....soreness never interfered with my lleg workout......but for the last 2 months the same soreness has increased intensitywise as well as duration wise....

maybe its the heavier weight that your bodies just not used to...

I'm just throwing things out there ...

Try rack deads instead.

i was thinking about it, although whats you opinion if i make changes in my leg workout as

i`ll start with leg extensions, then leg presses, then instead of squats i`ll go for hack squats....(minimizing lower back involvement as much as i can )

leg extensions and leg presses will pre exhaust my legs... and then when i do hack squats i`ll still be able to reach upto failure, while minimal involvement of lower back...

i was thinking about it, although whats you opinion if i make changes in my leg workout as

i`ll start with leg extensions, then leg presses, then instead of squats i`ll go for hack squats....(minimizing lower back involvement as much as i can )

leg extensions and leg presses will pre exhaust my legs... and then when i do hack squats i`ll still be able to reach upto failure, while minimal involvement of lower back...

i dont think the solution is to throw out squats.. need to figure out the problem.. maybe switch to rack deads and keep the squats in your leg day

i do like hacks though. but need to find problem .. i suspect its lower back weakness, at least relative to how much you're pulling.

This is personal opinion here but i think squats are mandatory for big ass legs. but if your doing squats right they need to be done last. simply put you shouldnt be able to do anything else for legs after you squat. 2 things i would try before getting rid of squats are 1 week leave deads alone totally. just skip em. then the second week throw in rack deads. its an easy way to see if its the deads thats bothering you. if you find out that rack deads are fine with the squats, then you can keep a deadlift type movement in there and your squats will come back as well.

yeah , give the hack squats a shot...

I've been thinking of switching to those instead of the regular squats myself ...
if thats what u do then b sure to respond back in the future and tell us how it went... If your back pain subsided ...

p.s. my leg day would look like this.

standing calvs
leg curl (2 sets here instead of one.)
leg ext
leg press
squat.

that is if i was using that type of volume.

ok then,

i`ll leave deads this week ..... and then try rack deads next week and then i`ll update you guys

thanks alot guys...appreciate your advise

you can do deadlift every other week and the same thing for squat so you dont include these two exercices in the same week, good luck...

Presumably you are lifting with a partner who is not only spotting but checking your posture. As an old-timer/veteran (48 yo), from what I am reading you aren't fully arching your spine inward and staring upward when you're in the hole before coming up.

Have a second buddy watch you from the side, and back off of the weight if it looks like your posture is suffering, especially at the onset of the lift (where the injuries erupt).

Back for my annual appearance, ; - ).

--Bjorn

couple of things try dropping deads down to 3 times a month.

you might be experiencing tighter hips/glutes/hams. are you doing anything to stretch or work these i.e. romanians, pull throughs, good mornings?? even single leg reverse lunges.

i suffer lower back tightness frequently and really have to work on other areas to help it such as those listed above.

have you also thought about squat and dead on the same day?? alot of power lifters do this and it works well. give your lower back a pounding but then allow massive recovery time.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear