over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

lower back

Vander_V

Banned
Kilo Klub Member
Im trying to tie in my lower back not so much in thickeness but in width, what are the best exercises to go about this.

Ive been hitting reverse grip seated rows,,,,,,,,, but to be honest my arms have gotten bigger so its very difficult to bend my arms to pull it with a straight wrist,,,, daam wrist kills,,,,,,,this also accurs when i do straight bar curls, so i have to use the easy bar curl during my bicep workout,,, im sure some of you have the same problem .

Last edited:
yes

I have the same problem about my wrist.

Only can use EZ Bar.

and aslo be afraid of side Lateral Raise .......

deads

what about heavy stiff leg deads? really tied my lower back into the lats.

DOK

Do palm up lat pull downs with the hands toward the clip on the bar and concentrate on pulling with the lats. Dont use the bis till the very last second before you go back up. I have the opposite problem to much width and not enough thickness have some descent but would like more. MM

VANDER....I THINK A GUY WITH ARMS AS BIG AS YOURS IS ALWAYS....

GOING TO HAVE TROUBLE NOT FEELING BICEPS IN PULLING MOVEMENTS! HAHAAH.......MUST BE NICE! I AM EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE....I HAVE SMALLER BICEPS AND YET FEEL EVERYTHING I DO FOR BACK! SUCH IS LIFE, I GUESS. I REMEMBER YOU POSTING ABOUT YOUR BACK INJURY....HOW IS THAT HEALING UP? WHAT MADE ME THINK OF THAT IS THE POST ABOUT DEADS WHICH I THINK ARE TERRIFIC BUT MAYBE NOT IN YOUR CASE. EITHER WAY, YOU LOOK GOOD TO ME. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BACK QUESTION!

?

Ok i think most of you are missing what im trying to say ,,, its not that im using too much biceps or that im missing a lower back lol,,,Im just trying to find an alternitive to doing reverse grip seated rows cause its now starting to hurt my wrists, because i cannot straighten my wrists even to recieve change ,, the grocery clerk hands me my change and theres a dimes and quarters a rolling right out of my hand onto the floor ,, this is do to my biceps pushing into my chest when i twist my arm,,, i cant imagine what Cutler or Ronnie go through they problably cant even wipe there ass HA.

heres a pic of my back ,,, i want to build WIDTH not thickness right where my thumbs are .

Attachments

• 20697061637_330_1.jpg
    20697061637_330_1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 546
why do you want to build width up width in your lower back/waist area. i think if the place where your thumbs are was wider you'd really lose your V taper. ya look good, i don't understand your reason.

OH, NO.....I KNOW THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD BACK....

I WAS JUST MENTIONING THE BIG ARM DUDES USUALLY HAVING TROUBLE IN THE BACK AREA....MIKE MATTARAZO, AARON MADDRON, ETC......WHEREAS GUYS LIKE LEE HANEY, FRANCO COLUMBU..SEEMED TO BE ABLE TO BUILD HUGE BACKS YET BE SORTA WEAK IN THE BICEPS. <YOU SEEM TO BE ABLE TO HAVE BOTH WELL DEVELOPED ARMS AND A BACK!> the answer for lower back with for me would be those darn deadlifts but I wasn't going to recomend those cause I remember your back was injured. One thing I have done that I don't see too many folks doing, Vander is.....Kneeling, one arm at a time cable pulldowns. I kneel in front of the pulldown seat get a good stretch, pulldown, turn the wrist a little, crunch the lat down and I can really feel it right down to where you say you want the width....where your thumbs are in the pic......sounds gay but, I give a little arch to my back at the bottom and the contraction is wicked!

hey vander.. what is the current routine like?

my routine

Well I do back 2x a week one day for WIDTH and one day for DEPTH , I do 12 sets 3 exercises for 4 working sets always changing my wokouts..

on WIDTH day i do - weighted chins , pulldowns , straight arms , seated rows , pull overs. ALL DONE WITH WIDE GRIP.

on DEPTH day i do - Tbar rows , seated rows , pull downs , reverse grip row , partial deads. ALL DONE WITH A CLOSE GRIP.

|--[\\\]>---------- Well just seeing that you just started doing partial deads, try those for awhile and see where it takes ya. it'll make a huge dif.

agree with BBA-i think deads and partial deads would improve your back

Vander_V

That back shot is very impressive bro!

Seems like "between your thumbs" would apply to a "core" muscle group weakness, the erector spinae. I don't know if you've taken anatomy or not but is that what you mean?

Erector Spinae Weakness
Increased risk of lower back injury during lumbar spine extension or stabilization activities. Back extension exercises involving complete lumbar spine range of motion have demonstrated primarily excellent or good results for those with chronic low back pain. Excellent or good results by diagnosis: 76% Mechanical / Strain, 72% Degenerative, 78% Disc Syndrome, 75% Spondylo.
Nelson, B.W. (1993). A rational approach to the treatment of low back pain. J Musculoskel Med, 10(5), 67-82.
Nelson, B.W., O'Reilly, E., Miller, M., Hogan, M. Wegner, J.A., Kelly, C., (1995). The clinical effects of intensive, specific exercise on chronic low back pain: a controlled study of 895 consecutive patients with 1-year follow up. Orthopedics, 18(10), 971-981.
Examples of affected exercises
Straight Leg Deadlift
Squat
Deadlift
Example preventative / corrective exercises:
Back Extension
Cable Row (with spinal articulation)
Stiff Leg Deadlift

I pulled this from a website:

**broken link removed**

I would probably group the reverse crunch in with the group of preventative/corrective exercises for this weakness if the erector spinae is what what you're trying to work. This is a common problem among bodybuilders since alot of them work abs but do not balance it out by working lower back, or at least, I haven't seen people work on them very often. This can cause an instability/imbalance in strength between the two muscle groups that cause frequent lower back problems.

Working your erector spinae would end up making your lower back thicker, not wider or maybe it would. If you're asking what I think you're asking, you may be going back to the discussion about being able to target part of a muscle (lower latissimus dorsi?) vs only being able to work the muscle as a whole. If you are in belief of the former camp, you'd probably end up doing a partial lift of one of your widening exercises or tweaking an arm rotation at the beginning or end of those exercises.

I don't know my kineseology that well but if you find someone that's good with it and you're in the camp that believes in targeting part of a muscle, you'd be asking them about which end of the glenohumeral adduction articulation applies to the portion of the latissimus dorsi that you're thinking of.

I know of a personal trainer to the stars here in LA that swears by one of his tricep training methods, a medial forearm rotation at the end of one-arm kickebacks. The reason that works is because triceps brachii are made up of three heads. Under that theory, that wouldn't work in the case of the latissimus dorsi muscle since there is only the single head. That's where the people in the other camp, (only being able to train a muscle as a whole) would blame genetics. e.g. you can't train your "lower" latissimus dorsi. you'd have to just cross your fingers that training your latissimus dorsi as a whole will give you the shape you want.

I don't think I've seen that debate in this particular forum, as yet (the ability to training part of a muscle vs only being able to train a muscle as a whole). I'm sure a few of you have very set ways on what you think of it.

Last edited:
???

" HUH WHAT " ???

I think you missunderstood my post but thanks for the erector spinae advice cause I also have a bad lumbar area.

no no no

:p I wouldnt gain any width in your lower back. Where your thumbs are at is your waist why gain any width there, it would make your waist look bigger and wider. I think you would wanna keep that tiny little waist it makes everything bigger and wider. Lower back thickness yes, lower back width no. switch to a underand lat pull down to pull those lats down, and do partial deads, to make your lower back thicker, but keep that waistline small you have that going for you, dont ruin that, it would make you look less aesthetic and more blocky, you have that pretty build going for you, keep it.
gooey

Hey Vander,

I believe I know exactly what you are talking about. Dorian said in one of his interviews that he did chins and/or pulldowns with an underhand close grip specifically to target the lower lats. He later switched to the Hammer Strength pulldown and the Natilus pullover, both with the underhand grip, to accomplish this. You may want to give that grip a try and see if it works for you.

Last edited:

|--[\\\]>--------- Doing the partials like i showed you will def. make that 'Xmass tree' area THICKER....and that is why you are shooting for

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws