YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lower Carb Guys, What's Your Peri/Intra Nutrition Look Like?

USMuscle9403

Registered
For those of you who don't know, I'm a stubborn, bullheaded moron. I used to be all about Peri workout nutrition, making absolutely sure I had a shake or quicker digesting meal both pre and post workout. Oh, and don't forget the BCAAs (should give you an idea that this was a while back).

That fell by the wayside; I began training fasted or close to it and honestly didn't notice much difference in terms of recovery. For now, the only thing I consume even close to my workout is either greek yogurt or cottage cheese and berries. Gives me just a small insulin spike and the pumps are brilliant. Nothing post or intraworkout. Gains have been excellent, so I just left it as is. Fast forward to now and I'm considering giving it another go. Besides, you can't watch a John Meadows video without him hammering periworkout nutrition into your head.

EAAs, cyclic dextrin, cluster dextrin, I've done none of it. For you lower carb guys, what have you had the best success with? EAAs ain't cheap, how worth it are they, really? Do you use any carbs at all, or just protein and fats? How has your recovery improved over just a conventional post workout meal? What do you like eating for this?

"I began training fasted or close to it and honestly didn't notice much difference in terms of recovery"

does John Meadows sell periworkout products?

"I'm a stubborn, bullheaded moron"

your honor the defense rests it case. no further questions

I like intra-workout nutrition if your intensity justifies the need for those nutrients.

I'm doing band workouts at home right now, and while the pump and burn are insane, the body isn't under the same loads as before. So no peri-workout nutrition right now.

Pre workout is always 2 whole eggs and 1 cup of white rice (1/2 cup right now). Intra workout is : Usually its 20 grams of EAAs + 6-8 oz of grape juice+ water with a little salt. Post workout is chocolate frosted flakes with milk, and whey isolate.

I'm at about 100g of carbs per day and am fine with it. I lift in the morning and do bjj in the afternoons. The one thing I like to do to get a good pump is eat beef jerky 30 min or so before a workout. The sodium gives me a nice pump..

15g EAA , 10g Creatine , 10g Glutamine , 5g Lucien , 5g Citrulline maleate , 50g carbs from Gatorade (I like Milos ideas on carbs)
59g whey isolate and 50g carbs from Coco crispy immediately after walking out if the gym

Last year during prep I was low, but not zero carb. I had 25g Glico CCD in my intra and had much better workouts.
Also in that that shake: 10g EAA (Optimum Amino Energy); 1g sea salt; 5g D-ribose

The year before I did a Palumbo-style keto diet and as the weeks rolled on it was really hard to train after work.
Same shake, minus the carbs.

I looked better in 2019 and felt much better than in 2018.

I use 100mg caffeine, 4oz orange juice, and 25g of Gatorade powder, but I also use 1/4 tsp of salt straight and chase with the drink I do this before and immediately after training. Pumps are on another level.

I've tried it and I don't believe in it being any more productive than not doing it. A lot of the intra-workout concoctions I've tried also gave me stomach discomfort. You want blood directed to your working muscles, not your stomach.

Ofcourse, if you're on no carbs and you ingest carbs intra-workout, you're going to have a better workout. But since I'm a high carb guy, that's a problem I'll never have.

I do like to consume a little bit of fruits, flakes and yogurts before morning workout.

I've tried it and I don't believe in it being any more productive than not doing it. A lot of the intra-workout concoctions I've tried also gave me stomach discomfort. You want blood directed to your working muscles, not your stomach.

Ofcourse, if you're on no carbs and you ingest carbs intra-workout, you're going to have a better workout. But since I'm a high carb guy, that's a problem I'll never have.

I'm the same. All fast digesting carbs upset my stomach.

You will get a decent bump in mTOR from Leucine anyway. EAAs plus creatine, taurine and some other bits INTRA.

Then 40-50g vegan protein for me with a banana PWO.

I'm the same. All fast digesting carbs upset my stomach.

You will get a decent bump in mTOR from Leucine anyway. EAAs plus creatine, taurine and some other bits INTRA.

Then 40-50g vegan protein for me with a banana PWO.

All the fruits mixed with yogurts - are the main source of great pre-workout meal, in my opinion. With adding some flakes and oats - it's even better. I mean, a lot of people consume second helping additions, even chemicals, but it all depends on their purposes. I prefer to stay healthy as much as I can.

Pre workout - fats and protein
Intra workout - bcaas, creatine, glutamine (yes bcaas, I have all other amino available from my pre workout meal)
Post workout - fats and proteins

^^^ this is my regimen about 85% of the year. I switch to higher carb diet for a short time here and there.

You don't need intra shakes at all but I personally like them. I like to drink something nice whilst I train so would have them regardless of aminos or carbs. Now they can be very useful but obviously if your pre and post nutrition is solid then water intra would be fine. However I would still recommend intra shakes especially if you train higher volume. When I do lower carbs (still not that low) I tend to place most of them around training. Even just 25g carbs intra is enough at that time. Something like 1 scoop of Axe and Sledge's Demo day does the job for me. You could just get a huge bag of HBCD's and that will last ages and work out fairly cheap using just 25g intra. On top of that some eaa's and the promuscle store as a great promo on now. I have been using these supplements for years and long before any connections (nor do I make money from these links) so this is not about marketing my brand etc but just helping out the forum. I use tonnes of eaa's for the taste but the bump in aminos is only a great thing as well.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws