over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lower quad development??

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
guys i think that the lower head of my outer quad (sweep) and inner (tear drop) are under developed. I've been trying everything to try to bring them up more but it seems no matter what i do my whole upper seems to grow.
I'm about 20-21 weeks out from a show rightnow and was planning to just stick to isolation movements to bring out the seperation in my leg rather than just abusing them to make them grow.

Other than some of the guys here i don't have anything to compair my legs to , everybody local says they look fine but in my mind the lower end of the upper leg is under developed

What are your oppinions
legday-1-1-1.jpg

What's your mindset for sticking to solely isolation? Why not stay hard heavy and compound with a variation of reps and maybe a few isolations here and there? I feel like isolation would simply just deload the muscle losing density and size.

Anyway, I can literally feel my outer sweep working on certain exercises. I press with the outer part of my feet and heels and can seem to isolate the sweep better that way. I like to use the hack squat and v-squat and take it ALL THE WAY DOWN with a slight pause the explode up for outer sweep. Same thing with leg press, if I bring my feet in a little closer I can pound my outer sweet.

I also love leg extentions for outer sweep and I get that deep deep burn where I feel that I'm recruiting more muscle fibers. I guess thats something you have to get the feel for but it truly works and gives an unbelievable pump.

Lastly, for tear drop, bring your feet in together on the leg press and hit high reps. You can implement a drop set here and really get them burning...same for hacks.

I've been doing alot of close stance squats in the smith machine (our hack sucks) as well as single leg in the leg press and ass elevated extensions with toe pointed way out to hit the tear drop more. I feel it working the muscle all the way down and get a great pump where i want it but by the next leg session it seems like the only thing thats growing is the middle portion of my leg.
I'm thinking that genetics just don't want it to happen , their getting good and vascular and some seperation is comming out already , crazy , my legs get lean first over anything

Couple thoughts....

The first and biggest one, and most stressed here at PM... genetics.

How your muscles orginate and insert will affect how they develop.

For what we can do- from a kinesiology/physiatry/physical therapy standpoint it's often been said that having the toes pointed OUTWARD (30-45degree's, nothing crazy like parallel to the floor) on leg extensions will hit the tear drop. Honestly, it's been so long, I can't remember if I ever read an EMG analysis on this or not.

What I do remember well though, the last 15 degree's of the leg extension is actually where the teardrop gets the most stimulation. When I interned with a sports physiatrist and a patient had an over developed vastus lateralus and/or tight iliotibial band pulling the lower leg/knee cap outward, we would have the patient place a small rolled up rag under their knee and try to flex their leg straight pushing the rag down into the table.

Actually, I just now remembered mountaindog1's video of his leg extensions... you see he stresses that last few degree's of extension... I don't know if you really need to get the butt off the seat like he does or if it's a personal preference (not saying it's "right" or "wrong", just saying I don't know if it's necessary... but then again, his legs are twice the size of mine :))

Lastly- I really do think that squats typically SHOULD be sufficient... what I think happens is too many people (understandably) straighten their knee's at the top of the squat and take tension off the muscles. I think an "ideal" squat would be one of almost a continuous motion at the top.... come up, knee's slightly bent and then immediately back down again (almost like a piston)... if anything, if I start to get tired and need to pause for a moment at top, I still keep the knee's slightly bent keeping tension on.

Edit: do you wrap your knee's much? I remember being more involved in powerlifting years ago and wrapping my knee's a lot for squats... I noticed my tear drop did seem to quit developing as much... the wraps may end up taking most of the brunt those few degree's.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the shape of your legs? They look great IMO!

I have the same "problem".. My upper, upper thighs seem to lead the charge with growth.

Last edited:
same problem here bro, but what i feel the most is as was said hacks yes our sled suck too, front squat and back squats, and i agree on not locking your knees specially on hacks will keep all the tension on the quads, i also like high reps for legs not less than 15 no more than 25, no light weights though, i once did about 35 reps on squat with 405bl.

Perhaps questionable advice

Along with your other leg training, get on a stationary bike and put the tension on super heavy. Do 30 second heavy intervals.
2 minute recovery at least.
But I ain't no body builder. Just a beautiful man. :eek:

What's the problem?

I couldn't see the picture posted as I was at work that day and the filters there wouldn't let it come through, I just saw the quad's today... WOW! What legs are you looking at man? Your tear-drop is GREAT! Go see a shrink for your "bigorexia" :p ;)

I couldn't see the picture posted as I was at work that day and the filters there wouldn't let it come through, I just saw the quad's today... WOW! What legs are you looking at man? Your tear-drop is GREAT! Go see a shrink for your "bigorexia" :p ;)

I was thinking the same thing. His legs look great!

:yeahthat:lol

high volume.....moderate weight

:cool:

Aren't heavy front squats supposed to develop the lower quads? Ive had good progress adding in front squats ans forward lunges.

1 - quads look great!

2 - feet together tends to hit outer sweep a bit more, shoulder-width or slightly wider with feet turned slightly out hits teardrop a little more. Additionally, extensions w/ toes out can be used in addition to or super-setted with squat/leg press/hacks to really fry the tear-drop

3 - good luck at the show!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice legs. I have the same problem, upper quad nice thickness and it narrows a bit at the lower part, near the knee. When i use boxers i like the way it looks but with a little longer shorts that stops a little above the knee my legs look like twigs. I guess the problem is the insertions are not long enough.
If you ever find the cure hit me up ;)

Solid legs, but high reps ~15 or so, and moderate weight really seems to do the trick for most people in help with leg development

If you look at the quad development of many rugby/ rugby league and even NFL running backs, many have great lower quad development. One thing they have in common is sprinting while pushing weight forward. Best way to emulate that is sled or prowler sprints. Have some fun with that.;)

I just saw this pic!

I was glancing through the featured member nomination pics...and wow! Great quads, Gunsmith!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear