over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lowering Blood Pressure Via Running

old timer

Registered
My blood pressure hasn't ever been really high but it did creep up to 120/__ (apologies as I don't rember the low number). What frustrated me was that all of the walking that I do (typically 45 minutes most M-F during lunch) and all of the biking that I was doing (averaging three 45 minute rides per week) wasn't doing anything to lower it.

I have ran some in the past, and after a mini-marathon passed my office a couple of months ago, I got the bug to try it again. I had no desire to do anything other than maybe a 5k or two this year. I've been running ~4 times/week for just 2-2.5 miles at a 10-11 minute/mile pace (slooow). While at Sam's Club after just three weeks of running, they opened up the DIY blood pressure machine and my BP was 106/__ (again, I wrongly have focused only on the top number). We checked mine later at home (my wife is an RN) and it measured 110/__. My diet is unchanged so it looks like the running is what has caused the drop.

Threads about high blood pressure seem to recur here, so I thought I'd share this observation about a protocol that isn't too taxing AND if you react similarly to me, you should know within ~three weeks if it's working or not. For the life of me, I can't understand why running would lower by blood pressure and biking wouldn't UNLESS it's the steady state benefit of running versus the interval-like training of biking due to the many hills near me.

Well, running is a lot more taxing on the body and burns more calories, but you make up for that by biking for 45 minutes. Did you lose weight doing the running? If you lost weight running then that would make sense. Overall you were probably doing more work running that cycling.

My blood pressure at a cvs or any of those machines will be 100/70 then 190/90 literally within two minutes. Like Reno said unless you have average arm size manual is your best tool. Stop by a fire dept during business hours they have the larger cuffs as well, your wife is an RN so she should have access to these. But I personally love running that and swimming have helped tremendously with my b/p. Have been switching to swimming more due to the fact like everyone else stated it’s terrible in the long run on your joints especially for heavier guys.

1 tadalafil eo day keeps the doctor away. And saves your knees hips ankles as a bonus. There are more bonuses tbh😉
My systolic lowered by appr 6-7 points which dropped me from the mildly high to normal range zone.
My diastolic lowered by 2-3 points.

I walk 2-3 miles most days 5 miles 1-2 times a week. Pace is 3-3.5 MPH. Which has kept me in the 110/72 range at rest. I added some sprint work back in a week ago for 15 min on a stationary bike. After 2 sessions I am down about 10 points. When doing 2 splint sessions a week regularly i am in the 95/60 range

Like I wrote, we checked it at home and it was still 10 points lower. My weight stayed the same, so I'm attributing it all to just the aerobic benefit of the running. And I'm sure that big guys won't be logging any 25 mile weeks, but if they wanted to try something to lower their blood pressure, I saw results after probably a dozen 2 mile runs done over three weeks.

I think any kind of cardio and weight loss should be used to correct BP, probably whatever is harder is better IMO (so def running over biking or step mill over elliptical). I don't ever think accepting a life of taking BP meds should ever be considered normal. We are humans we are not designed to take pharmaceuticals to make our organs work (well a select few, but it seems BP meds are trendy now days).

I find that gpp work like sled drags and hill runs are less taxing on me, give me additional benefits over straight cardio, and works much better for controlling my Bp than running or walking

I think any kind of cardio and weight loss should be used to correct BP, probably whatever is harder is better IMO (so def running over biking or step mill over elliptical). I don't ever think accepting a life of taking BP meds should ever be considered normal. We are humans we are not designed to take pharmaceuticals to make our organs work (well a select few, but it seems BP meds are trendy now days).
In a lot of cases, taking medicine allows the individual to continue the unhealthy lifestyle that made their BP high to begin with. it is indeed better to address the cause head on rather than treat the symptoms. If you use drugs to "fix" the problem then later on more problems will arise.

In a lot of cases, taking medicine allows the individual to continue the unhealthy lifestyle that made their BP high to begin with. it is indeed better to address the cause head on rather than treat the symptoms. If you use drugs to "fix" the problem then later on more problems will arise.
Agree. I feel like todays society is obsessed with medicine, dependent on it, for mental and physical health. Why are pharmaceutical companies allowed to advertise drugs on TV so people can get the idea they need them then go "have a talk with my doc I think I need a script" LOL. Obviously there are some people that due to circumstance need medication, but like you said, alot of guys just want to push the offseason and bloat up, skip the cardio don't wanna sacrifice recovery, and then post "im 240 at 13 percent bulking what BP medicine do you guys use with the least sides" ? LOL

I find that gpp work like sled drags and hill runs are less taxing on me, give me additional benefits over straight cardio, and works much better for controlling my Bp than running or walking
Any methodology to the hill runs? Are you simply running up, walking down and then repeating? Length of hill? Number of sets? Days/week? . . . inquiring minds :D

Yep. Sprint up as fast as you can, walk down. Rest fo 60 seconds and go again. I usually do 10 rounds. I alternate between doing sled drags or hill sprints after every workout

Two things:

-I wouldn't trust a blood pressure machine at Sam's Club unless your arm is under 16

-I don't think anyone over the age of 30 who carries 220 or more is going to have long career in running. By knees & hips.
I've been running consistently since March 2020. I've lost considerable amount of body fat while also gaining muscle. I currently float between 255 to 260 a little over 6'6 at almost 50yo.
My daily runs range between 5 to 10 miles. Pace can be 9 to 11 min per mile.
I've gained tons of length strength and endurance
My knees and shins were killing me when first started running a year ago, but now I can run without pain.. takes a couple few miles to warm up, but once warm no pain at all and I'm breathing freely and relaxed.
I also switch between trail, track, pavement, treadmill running.
Running consistently on pavement is recipe for disaster. So to me switching it up is key.
Stairmaster is also a good accessory exercise to build up leg endurance.
100 rep sets of body weight squats and leg presses also help build leg strength for running.

Consign 10000%

I've been running consistently since March 2020. I've lost considerable amount of body fat while also gaining muscle. I currently float between 255 to 260 a little over 6'6 at almost 50yo.
My daily runs range between 5 to 10 miles. Pace can be 9 to 11 min per mile.
I've gained tons of length strength and endurance
My knees and shins were killing me when first started running a year ago, but now I can run without pain.. takes a couple few miles to warm up, but once warm no pain at all and I'm breathing freely and relaxed.
I also switch between trail, track, pavement, treadmill running.
Running consistently on pavement is recipe for disaster. So to me switching it up is key.
Stairmaster is also a good accessory exercise to build up leg endurance.
100 rep sets of body weight squats and leg presses also help build leg strength for running.

I understand all that but there is a reason you don't see people age 60 and up running and when you do the expression on their faces tells you that they are in excruciating pain.

I understand all that but there is a reason you don't see people age 60 and up running and when you do the expression on their faces tells you that they are in excruciating pain.
right.. probably doesnt hurt(no pun) that i'm also chemcially enhanced to the gills compared to the avg joe.. gear, thc/cbd edibles, etc ..
low dose(microdose even) compared to the avg forum member though..

Two things:

-I wouldn't trust a blood pressure machine at Sam's Club unless your arm is under 16

-I don't think anyone over the age of 30 who carries 220 or more is going to have long career in running. By knees & hips.
I would rather do stairs

I see old people running all the time. Mostly everyone I see running looks like crap. I want to run for the same reason but a fast Mile twice

Almost 50 here. Ive run so much since March 2020 and cut so much weight, as a result people think I'm training for a boxing ufc match of some sort. When running the public parks it's a given I'll get that question on every run.
Still holding a ton of muscle probably due to building a base of heavy consistent lifting over the last 30 years. Strip away the fat and underneath shines a tall athletic body.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws