over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lowering Blood Pressure Via Running

I have been watching people run since the 60's and can't remember ever seeing a smile on their faces. Some times with biking i do. At edging in on 50 i started doing hill sprints 100+yards for 10 rounds on a 45+ degree hill. 2X a week. Started doing it 3X a week and started slowing down as i wasn't recovering that quick. In my 60's now and i have not done 1000 yards of sprinting for a while and 2x a week about the most i do and can still recover along with everything else i do.

I have been watching people run since the 60's and can't remember ever seeing a smile on their faces. Some times with biking i do. At edging in on 50 i started doing hill sprints 100+yards for 10 rounds on a 45+ degree hill. 2X a week. Started doing it 3X a week and started slowing down as i wasn't recovering that quick. In my 60's now and i have not done 1000 yards of sprinting for a while and 2x a week about the most i do and can still recover along with everything else i do.

Does anyone smile during cardio? Lol

That’s why I do conditioning, not cardio. Hammer swings, tire flips, sled drags, hill sprints, bike intervals. Keeps me lean, is much more fun, and actually benefits my lifting and improves recovery

That’s why I do conditioning, not cardio. Hammer swings, tire flips, sled drags, hill sprints, bike intervals. Keeps me lean, is much more fun, and actually benefits my lifting and improves recovery
I agree that it helps to keep you lean, and it is more fun but do you really think it improves recovery? I've heard that those really exhausting conditioning workouts cut into your recovery and should often be treated as another day of lifting (instead of aiding with recovery).

Regarding my slow @$$ 10-11 mi/min cardio, I don't think it helps my recovery, but I don't find it hindering it either.

I agree that it helps to keep you lean, and it is more fun but do you really think it improves recovery? I've heard that those really exhausting conditioning workouts cut into your recovery and should often be treated as another day of lifting (instead of aiding with recovery).

Regarding my slow @$$ 10-11 mi/min cardio, I don't think it helps my recovery, but I don't find it hindering it either.
It absolutely improves my general
Physical preparedness and cuts down on doms

Consistent cardio is the key, if you lift weights, I'd focus on moderate/high-intensity steady-state (because you already get the interval effect from weight lifting), if not, I'd do interval-style HIIT cardio.

Consistent cardio is the key, if you lift weights, I'd focus on moderate/high-intensity steady-state (because you already get the interval effect from weight lifting), if not, I'd do interval-style HIIT cardio.

How long and what would you consider prime heart rate range during each session for the moderate/high-intensity steady state?

How long and what would you consider prime heart rate range during each session for the moderate/high-intensity steady state?
The goal should be to get the cardiovascular system "fully opened up" and then keep it there for a good period, like 20-30min or so. As your cardiovascular system gets in better shape, the amount of work it takes to get to this state will increase, but the actual HEARTRATE can actually go down (because you are pumping more blood per beat, carrying more oxygen, etc). This is completely different from interval training (sometimes called HIIT these days). Once you start doing cardio for a while, you can easily tell when there is a heart rate your body wants to work at when your cardiovascular system gets to its optimal level.

The real trick is finding a form of cardio that doesn't limit you by muscles going anaerobic. For example, if you are on a bike, your quads may burn, which can limit you from reaching full a full cardio state, you shouldn't be limited by anything burning. For me, the elliptical does this for me very well. A fully engaged cardiovascular system FEELS really good, kinda like a muscle pump but in your whole body, once you get in good enough shape.

The problem is, most people don't want to work this hard, or put in the work to get in good enough shape so it's really not hard work, they want an easier version of cardio, like LISS or HIIT...

The goal should be to get the cardiovascular system "fully opened up" and then keep it there for a good period, like 20-30min or so. As your cardiovascular system gets in better shape, the amount of work it takes to get to this state will increase, but the actual HEARTRATE can actually go down (because you are pumping more blood per beat, carrying more oxygen, etc). This is completely different from interval training (sometimes called HIIT these days). Once you start doing cardio for a while, you can easily tell when there is a heart rate your body wants to work at when your cardiovascular system gets to its optimal level.

The real trick is finding a form of cardio that doesn't limit you by muscles going anaerobic. For example, if you are on a bike, your quads may burn, which can limit you from reaching full a full cardio state, you shouldn't be limited by anything burning. For me, the elliptical does this for me very well. A fully engaged cardiovascular system FEELS really good, kinda like a muscle pump but in your whole body, once you get in good enough shape.

The problem is, most people don't want to work this hard, or put in the work to get in good enough shape so it's really not hard work, they want an easier version of cardio, like LISS or HIIT...

Thanks for the clarification Kaladryn. I know exactly the state you're talking about when you refer to being "fully opened up". Before I started jogging in the mornings (which I currently do) I would do 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical with a incline of 10-12 (essentially the maximum incline I could handle without my calves getting too taxed) and a speed of 4. After just 3 weeks of of doing this my resting heart rate at night while sleeping (tracked with a whoop) went from 65ish down to mid 50s. My goal this winter (when I'm bored and stuck inside) will be to see if I can break into the 40s.

Youre right about that feeling you get when you are in that state of aerobic exercise. Its a great feeling. I used to get that when I was cycling a lot back in high school. Going on 50 miles or longer rides, I would get into that groove and it was almost hypnotic and I felt like I could go on forever. Moving really fast too. For me that was around 17 mph.

Youre right about that feeling you get when you are in that state of aerobic exercise. Its a great feeling. I used to get that when I was cycling a lot back in high school. Going on 50 miles or longer rides, I would get into that groove and it was almost hypnotic and I felt like I could go on forever. Moving really fast too. For me that was around 17 mph.
It's amazing how many people are unfamiliar with this feeling, it's like lifting and not getting a full pump, also something a lot of people are unfamiliar with (of course all bodybuilders are).

Perhaps an anomaly, but I honestly do. I've never enjoyed lifting in the way that I enjoy cardio, but it took me a good bit of time to find the right gym-based cardio for me. Treadmills bore me to tears, bikes are okay in a pinch, but elliptical machines are my absolute jam. I heartrate soars and I sweat like a fiend, but damn if I'm not grinning a good bit of the time, too.

It's amazing how many people are unfamiliar with this feeling, it's like lifting and not getting a full pump, also something a lot of people are unfamiliar with (of course all bodybuilders are).
If offered that feeling or a great pump in the gym, I would take the cardio feeling over the pump for sure.

If offered that feeling or a great pump in the gym, I would take the cardio feeling over the pump for sure.
I agree the 'cardio pump' does feel great, however, I still dislike doing cardio.

BTW, the feeling I'm talking about is different from the "second wind" cardio effect, which is another amazing cardio feeling, I used to get this when I did a lot of running, usually after a much longer period of time (many miles), you have to be in really good running shape to get the 'second wind' effect. The 'full opened up cardiovascular system' effect I get after 10-15minutes of crushing it on the elliptical.

I agree the 'cardio pump' does feel great, however, I still dislike doing cardio.

BTW, the feeling I'm talking about is different from the "second wind" cardio effect, which is another amazing cardio feeling, I used to get this when I did a lot of running, usually after a much longer period of time (many miles), you have to be in really good running shape to get the 'second wind' effect. The 'full opened up cardiovascular system' effect I get after 10-15minutes of crushing it on the elliptical.
Yeah, I'd get both while cycling. The second wind as you call it is a very amazing feeling. I enjoyed cycling out in the world because of the fresh air and scenery. Cardio indoors sucks big time.

Yes. I was about to say, it usually takes me about 75mins of running before I hit that zone.

Deres plenty of sht dat lowers blood pressure. Anything dat dilates ur blood vessels p much.

Many days now I identify as an Otter 🦦 and swim. Has greatly decreased blood pressure while increasing fish intake.

But do you smile while doing it?

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members