over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lumbar Fusion Surgery

Bio

Staff member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I'm curious who here has had any type of fusion surgery in their lumbar region and how are you now?

I'm definitely having L4-5 fused and likely L5-s1. I'm having a discogram to determine if the L5-s1 disc is causing me pain as well. Discogram's aren't necessarily definitive but my doctor wants to try it.

To go online and look up this type of surgery, there are a lot of dissatisfied people. Sadly, there are a lot of doctors that due unnecessary surgeries which skew the results. Plus, as my doctor pointed out, the people that have successful surgeries, for some reason, don't tend to go online and talk about...Hopefully they're busy enjoying their new found pain free life!

Eventually I'll need C5-6 and C6-7 fused as well. I know Brick had a similar surgery and it was successful. Let me know if any of you have had this surgery and what your results were. Thanks!

I'm curious who here has had any type of fusion surgery in their lumbar region and how are you now?

I'm definitely having L4-5 fused and likely L5-s1. I'm having a discogram to determine if the L5-s1 disc is causing me pain as well. Discogram's aren't necessarily definitive but my doctor wants to try it.

To go online and look up this type of surgery, there are a lot of dissatisfied people. Sadly, there are a lot of doctors that due unnecessary surgeries which skew the results. Plus, as my doctor pointed out, the people that have successful surgeries, for some reason, don't tend to go online and talk about...Hopefully they're busy enjoying their new found pain free life!

Eventually I'll need C5-6 and C6-7 fused as well. I know Brick had a similar surgery and it was successful. Let me know if any of you have had this surgery and what your results were. Thanks!

I was told be 7 different surgeons that having l5s1 fused was inevitable. I only had 2mm of space left between l5s1. I didnt do the surgery and it took 2-3 years to recover but i get around pretty good. I did do the pt though

I was told be 7 different surgeons that having l5s1 fused was inevitable. I only had 2mm of space left between l5s1. I didnt do the surgery and it took 2-3 years to recover but i get around pretty good. I did do the pt though

I appreciate the reply Jim...So are you saying that you had L4-5 fused and it took 2 to 3 YEARS to recover? I was told 2 months if you're white collar and 3 months if you're blue collar.

Would you guys mind stating your age as well. I'm 45 so I'm curious how the "older" crowd handled the recovery.

Last edited:
I appreciate the reply Jim...So are you saying that you had L4-5 fused and it took 2 to 3 YEARS to recover? I was told 2 months if you're white collar and 3 months if you're blue collar.

Would you guys mind stating your age as well. I'm 45 so I'm curious how the "older" crowd handled the recovery.

No I avoided the surgery. I read to many horror story's about it and just chose to tough it out. The only way I would have chosen to do the surgery was if I couldn't walk or if I was loosing control of bodily functions. I am glad I didn't do it. I still have some pain but not bad if I didn't know how bad that disc looked like in my MRI I would just think its aches and pains from getting older lol. Now there are reasons to do it if you have spine slippage or like I stated above loosing control or even if it is just impacting your quality of life. Have you tried any physical therapy? Oh yeah I am 42

No I avoided the surgery. I read to many horror story's about it and just chose to tough it out. The only way I would have chosen to do the surgery was if I couldn't walk or if I was loosing control of bodily functions. I am glad I didn't do it. I still have some pain but not bad if I didn't know how bad that disc looked like in my MRI I would just think its aches and pains from getting older lol. Now there are reasons to do it if you have spine slippage or like I stated above loosing control or even if it is just impacting your quality of life. Have you tried any physical therapy? Oh yeah I am 42

I did physical therapy last year. It only exacerbated the issues causing me more pain than I was already in...I could do all the exercises, the problem was the next day. I would wake up in agony. For me it's at a point where I need to do something...About 6 or 7 seven weeks ago, it got to the point where I needed to use a cane. I've had multiple cortisone injections over that last couple of weeks. I'm not using the cane at the moment but I'm walking with a noticeable limp.

I did physical therapy last year. It only exacerbated the issues causing me more pain than I was already in...I could do all the exercises, the problem was the next day. I would wake up in agony. For me it's at a point where I need to do something...About 6 or 7 seven weeks ago, it got to the point where I needed to use a cane. I've had multiple cortisone injections over that last couple of weeks. I'm not using the cane at the moment but I'm walking with a noticeable limp.

Man i am sorry to here you are in that much pain! What PT method did you try? I did the mckenzie method. I got really sore but it worked fast! I assume your discs are degenerated? The mckenzie method is were you lay on your stomach and press up leaving your hips pushed to the floor forcing the jelly thats bulging backward from your disc to the center so the disc can heal. I had to do this every hour for the first month. It sucked and it made my hips and lower back really sore but like i said it worked.

I've been having crazy pain in my kidneys for approx the last 8-12 months. I recently found my kidneys are in great health and started seeing the Chiro. After about 4 weeks of disc decompression and stim / Lazer therapy the pain has diminished but if I tKe a wrong step to the right or reach w left arm it feels like I got punched in the rt kidney!! Drops me to my knees. I'm 41. Doc ran a MRI to find 4mm bulging disc between L5/S1 and partial year that is piercing my nerve. Now I have to see spine surgeon. Not happy at all!!

Bio, I had fusion surgery L4-L5, L5s1 in 1994. I was 37 at the time. I had fusion front and back of the spine and had 2 rods also put in. It was the best thing I ever did. The week before the surgery I could not get out of bed, I was in so much pain. I went back to my job as a Iron worker three years latter and I went back in the Army in 1998 and back on jump status. Did three combat tours and got out of the Army in 2007. Now the rest of me is falling apart. Both knees and both shoulder replaced. But I would do the back surgery all over again. Good luck.:headbang:

Bio, I had fusion surgery L4-L5, L5s1 in 1994. I was 37 at the time. I had fusion front and back of the spine and had 2 rods also put in. It was the best thing I ever did. The week before the surgery I could not get out of bed, I was in so much pain. I went back to my job as a Iron worker three years latter and I went back in the Army in 1998 and back on jump status. Did three combat tours and got out of the Army in 2007. Now the rest of me is falling apart. Both knees and both shoulder replaced. But I would do the back surgery all over again. Good luck.:headbang:

nice to hear a success story were your discs degenerated or did you have spine slippage?

I'm not trying to discourage you but more of a warning. My ex had 3 lumbar surgeries so far and now needs a 4th. The discs above and below her fusions weakened and collapsed. She wishes she had never had the first one done. She has titanium cages filled with doner bone from the hip. If there is another option available today other than cages you may have much better results. Sorry to be a downer in your thread.

A friend of mine had this done, the liquid bone the use to fuse the vertebrae crumbled,migrated and abscessed. It took a different doctor 6m to fix it.

Exhaust your conservative care before you consider surgery. The fused bone's function gets picked up by the above and below disks and degenerate them quicker. This being the case avoid fusion unless you absolutely need it.

i had L4-L5 fused last year. the disc had collapsed as well as the one between L5 and S1. all other discs were at least herniated that they looked at. you can not tell from an MRI if some thing is causing pain, according to my dr. first you tell them where there is pain and then they look to see if there is an abnormality in the spine at that point. as many people have bad backs yet no symptoms. i was out of the hospital the day after surgery and back in the gym 10 days later doing light excersices. with the back supported.

Thank you for taking the time to share that! I feel a lot better hearing that. Another reason I'm leary is because in 1998 I had a Lamenectomy in the L4-5, L5s1 area and it was a failure. Thanks again for sharing!

I'm assuming you did the prescribed rehab?

my brother had his fused and wishes he didn't get it done.still pain and discomfort at the same level. Just get many opinions and be 100% sure you are doing the right thing.The best advice he gives is make sure you try everything before you do surgery. ITs def a last resort. Good luck bro

I'm not trying to discourage you but more of a warning. My ex had 3 lumbar surgeries so far and now needs a 4th. The discs above and below her fusions weakened and collapsed. She wishes she had never had the first one done. She has titanium cages filled with doner bone from the hip. If there is another option available today other than cages you may have much better results. Sorry to be a downer in your thread.

Hi Tom, I don't see it as discouragement. I appreciate all input. I have a genetic issue that is partially responsible for my back and neck problems. The first time my back "went out" on me, I was 17 and it became chronic when I was 22...I'm now 45. So, I've read all the good and bad there is. Hearing first hand accounts like this are helpful regardless of outcome.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I can only imagine how miserable she must be. Disc issues above and / or below a fusion is always a possibility. I won't have to worry about below. For me, the discs above, L2-3 and L3-4, are not the healthiest of discs. They are both dark in color, indicating degeneration and loss of fluid. Each of these discs also have a tear. So, I don't expect them to last forever. Who knows, the discogram may reveal that one of those levels are the culprit as well...Hopefully not. The reality is, a lot of people will eventually need another fusion, 10 to 12 years on average.

One thing that will be helpful, is that my surgeon is going through the stomach. Apparently, going through the back causes more trauma to the area and makes for a more painful recovery. They won't be using any cages either. Here's an illustrated video of what my procedure will be like, except mine will be through the stomach and not the back.

Spinal Fusion Surgery Video: Spine Fusion Back Surgery to Reduce Back Pain

i had L4-L5 fused last year. the disc had collapsed as well as the one between L5 and S1. all other discs were at least herniated that they looked at. you can not tell from an MRI if some thing is causing pain, according to my dr. first you tell them where there is pain and then they look to see if there is an abnormality in the spine at that point. as many people have bad backs yet no symptoms. i was out of the hospital the day after surgery and back in the gym 10 days later doing light excersices. with the back supported.

My fusion will be a two level. I was told I'll be in the hospital for three days. My doctor has talked to me about the recovery process and I can tell you that I won't be in the gym ten days later! LOL!! I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you.

Bio,
If It were me I would want the stand alone cages that he is proposing using
the only worry some risk anterior is the retrograde ejaculation, but that being said rather then having your muscle cut away from your vertebral bodies in the back overall I think its a much better way, given that will solve your structural issue.

I would avoid the surgery at all cost but at some point mechanically some people need it. Just remember back surgery takes your pain from a 10 to a 3 that's is a successful case, to be "pain free" is ultra rare

if you want to chat any time hit me up.

I have a question for those of you that had or know someone that had an unsuccessful lumbar fusion, did any of you have a discogram first? Discogram's aren't always definitive but it's a tool that can be used to try and narrow down which areas are really giving off pain. I'm having one. I'm just waiting to hear when.

Another reason for a lot of failed back surgeries, sadly, is because there are a lot of people with back issues that aren't good candidates for surgery. What I mean is, the issue is real but statistically current surgical procedures aren't successful on those issues. The problem is, there are doctors that will perform surgery regardless, because that's what they do for a living. In turn, it really skews the numbers.

I read a good book a couple of years ago. It's called, "Do You Really Need Back Surgery" by Dr Aaron G. Filler.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws