over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MA questions

stevehnsn

Registered
For a while now I've been thinking about taking up a martial art. From the info I've gotten from this board and a couple other sources, I've decided to start some jujitsu. I'm based out of Rochester, NY, so if anyone knows of a good studio in the area please let me know. I found this place: http://www.selfdefensecenter.com/ but I feel like it might be the martial arts equivilent of a foo-foo gym (like Bally's). The particular discipline they offer is shingitai jujitsu.

My background in MA is negligible. I trained one-on-one with an ex-g/f that had 2 black belts in something or other. We mostly worked on hand-to-hand. I also learned how to box from my Dad, an ex-marine, and am not half bad on the heavy bag. I know next to nothing about wrestling or grappling, and zero weapons training.

I would like to welcome any comments and suggestions on my choice of style, and any ideas about where to train would also be great. Thanks guys.

I got my mat education from an olympic wrestling club. They are every where and if u wrestle open its defintly an adventure u wouldnt believe the kind of people who come out of the woodworks.

jiu jitsu is a great choice. not many people like to go to the ground, and many don't know what to do except punch while they are there. i would also suggest some Muay Thai, vicious knees and elbows, i say its one of the best stand up arts around.

jiu jitsu is the best choice IMO. I've trained in jiu jitsu for about 6 years and wrestled all the way through school. Ground fighting is supereior to all others, I also agree with RIV that some muay thai would be a great addition. The two forms of fighting combined is a dangerous combination. Look for a fighting training school where they may teach multiple martial arts, those are usually best to train for all around fighting. Take care.

patk

Ok nice. So jujitsu and muay tai. I won't be able to take them both at the same time, being in school and all. But eventually I should be able to practice them both. Likely, I won't end up actually wrestling, but who knows. Lifting will remain a priority through it all, and finishing college a priority before that.

Now, what do you guys think about frequency of MA training? I'm contemplating going to 2 classes a week, and then maybe practicing on my own 1-2 times in addition to class. I lift 4 times a week and won't be changing that unless I start overtraining. My week will look like:

Mon - Max or 8-10 rep Chest, Bis, Abs, Grip
Tues - MA Class
Weds - Deads or Dynamic Lower Back, Upper Back, Tris, Abs, Grip
Thurs - MA Class
Fri - Dynamic Chest, Shoulders, a little more Arms, Abs, Grip
Sat - Practice MA from class or rest, Work
Sun - Max or Dynamic Legs, Grip

The mornings and afternoons will consist of college class, work, and homework. Work on weekends.

I've also heard that the best results come from going to class 3-4 times a week, and that it really makes a significant difference. Opinions? Thanks again! :D

i dont think you'll get your money's worth if you take a class 2 days a week. i say train at least 4x a week. theres plenty of time in the week for muay thai, jui jitsu, lifting and school, you just have to make sacrifices and learn to budget your time

Riv

Be sure to ask about their background...who trained them?

You could get some JOE SHMO that trained under BOB SMITH. Also ask to attend a class as a spectator for a couple weeks. YOu want to make sure you are not wasting your time and money.
Be sure to ask the people in the class how long they have been there and if they have any other background besides that school. They could lead you in the right direction to other styles.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131