over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I don't know shit about Macs.....don't really know shit about Apple since I was a 11/12 yr old genius working with IIgs and IIe's back in the day in grade school.

What is the proper choice if I am looking to get one of these? It would be for my girlfriend who is in college and does fashion design/marketing. Any help would be appreciated bros!

Here is a great write up that shows who should get what, depending on needs
MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro: Which laptop should you get? | iMore

Read the battery life and Screen size versus display density paragraph I personally think that for a for a fashion designer she should get the macbook pro for it size and retina display.... few more dollars and it's more bang for the buck.

I myself have been eyeing the new ultra thin 27" all in one iMac
Apple - iMac (hopefully next year)

What fashion school if I may ask? My girlfriend went to fidm and got hired at a major clothing company as an associate designed right out of school, and currently is an associate designer at a vanity fair brand. My sister is starting at fidm next fall as well. One tip of advice I would give is to make sure your girlfriend interns! My girlfriend landed a 40k a year job with full benefits and tuition reimbursement at 19 years old.

As for your original question, she went with a MacBook Pro. I'm not a fan of Mac computers at all. The iPhone and iPod are great but I hate the computers. With the air I feel like you're paying extra money for how thin it is, and the pro isn't exactly thick so it shouldn't be a problem. I personally use my 17 inch ASUS g75 that outspecs any Mac laptop within $2000.

What fashion school if I may ask? My girlfriend went to fidm and got hired at a major clothing company as an associate designed right out of school, and currently is an associate designer at a vanity fair brand. My sister is starting at fidm next fall as well. One tip of advice I would give is to make sure your girlfriend interns! My girlfriend landed a 40k a year job with full benefits and tuition reimbursement at 19 years old.

As for your original question, she went with a MacBook Pro. I'm not a fan of Mac computers at all. The iPhone and iPod are great but I hate the computers. With the air I feel like you're paying extra money for how thin it is, and the pro isn't exactly thick so it shouldn't be a problem. I personally use my 17 inch ASUS g75 that outspecs any Mac laptop within $2000.

Art Institute. Macbook Air is $200 cheaper @ 13" than the Macbook Pro....
1099 vs 1299

I know, even though it's cheaper I feel like you're sacrificing specs for thinness. If you look at the specs, for that $200 you get a much more powerful processor, 2.4ghz vs 1.3ghz, you get retina display, a Better graphics processor as well as the option for HDMI output, etc.

The only advantages to the air is that they're thinner and have slightly better battery life.

But again as to why I'm not a fan of macs is because for that same $1200 I got 1tb hdd vs 128gb, 8gigs of ram vs 4 gigs, nvidea gtx 660m vs intel graphics, and a 2.8 i7 vs a 1.3 or 2.4 i5... And 4 inches of screen size.

With that said, both of these laptops are pretty slow IMO, and if she does anywhere close to the amount of sketching etc my gf did when she was in school the last thing she needs is MacBook with specs that went out of date last year.

And make sure she interns somewhere, if you're in Socal or New York there should be plenty of options. Elsewhere I'm
Not sure. But interning will almost ensure she gets a good job when she gets her degree.

I agree with your points. I wonder if 4gb 1600mhz memory and 128gb flash storage is enough. I imagine she'll add external drives or use jump drives a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The hard drive might be fine because she has the options to use externals. The memory might be for the time being. If she gets hired somewhere they most likely provide a computer. But when my gf was all said and done with her MacBook it cost around $2000. And I would also look Into a pen for sketching. My girlfriend prefers it over a mouse or touchpad when she sketches, but that's personal preference.

The hard drive might be fine because she has the options to use externals. The memory might be for the time being. If she gets hired somewhere they most likely provide a computer. But when my gf was all said and done with her MacBook it cost around $2000. And I would also look Into a pen for sketching. My girlfriend prefers it over a mouse or touchpad when she sketches, but that's personal preference.

Well I dont see her using a ton of things at once. Imagine fashion programs of whatever sort, a browser, and maybe some media or a word document. She isnt one that will have 10 things going at once....so I wonder if 128 is enough.

There are upgrades to 256 and 8gb but Im trying to budget lol.

Well macbook pro retina 13 is 1299 with standard 4gb ram and 128gig ssd...

Same model with 8gb ram and 256gig ssd is 1499.

Im thinking I will choose the first and upgrade to 8gb ram which should be +100=1399 before a $100 student discount.

I've done a ton of research and this looks to be optimal for this and many situations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08