over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Macro ratios, nutrition, and the ketogenic diet

nlieb

Registered
Originally posted this in beginner's forum but figured I'd get more hits here:

Back to weightlifting after a long absence due to what's known as an idiopathic autoimmune encephalitis, a neurological degenerative disorder. Thankfully I found a good doctor and my condition has for all intents and purposes been cured. I'm finally getting back into weightlifting, and may even start bodybuilding again, although I have never and probably will never want to aim for competition. There's a lot of shit I was doing wrong and I've decided that, since I'm starting from the beginning again, I might as well start from the absolute basics. I was never particularly good with nutrition and this time around I want to be. I've been reading up, and I think the best diet would be one high in fat and protein but low in carbs, since not only are these anecdotally the best for cutting (which I need to do right now), they have been shown in scientific studies to help treat certain neurological disorders, including mine. I have four questions:
What ratio of fats to proteins do you use
Do these proportions change when you go from cutting to bulking (assuming you don't want to add on carbs)
Has anyone experimented with adding different oils to their post-workout shakes based on varying fatty acid content? Was thinking about using pistachio or linseed oil because greater than of third of them by weight is made up of omega-threes.
What liquid base do you use for your shakes when you're eliminating carbs? Normally I would add chocolate milk for taste and because it's better at dissolving hydrophobic compounds than water, but both of it has lots of sugar. Actually, even regular milk has lots of sugar (lactose). I was thinking about maybe adding bitter cocoa and stevia to unsweetened almond milk, but my high school chemistry tells me that the almond milk is not going to dissolve the pistachio/linseed oil.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted this in beginner's forum but figured I'd get more hits here:

Back to weightlifting after a long absence due to what's known as an idiopathic autoimmune encephalitis, a neurological degenerative disorder. Thankfully I found a good doctor and my condition has for all intents and purposes been cured. I'm finally getting back into weightlifting, and may even start bodybuilding again, although I have never and probably will never want to aim for competition. There's a lot of shit I was doing wrong and I've decided that, since I'm starting from the beginning again, I might as well start from the absolute basics. I was never particularly good with nutrition and this time around I want to be. I've been reading up, and I think the best diet would be one high in fat and protein but low in carbs, since not only are these anecdotally the best for cutting (which I need to do right now), they have been shown in scientific studies to help treat certain neurological disorders, including mine. I have four questions:
What ratio of fats to proteins do you use
Do these proportions change when you go from cutting to bulking (assuming you don't want to add on carbs)
Has anyone experimented with adding different oils to their post-workout shakes based on varying fatty acid content? Was thinking about using pistachio or linseed oil because greater than of third of them by weight is made up of omega-threes.
What liquid base do you use for your shakes when you're eliminating carbs? Normally I would add chocolate milk for taste and because it's better at dissolving hydrophobic compounds than water, but both of it has lots of sugar. Actually, even regular milk has lots of sugar (lactose). I was thinking about maybe adding bitter cocoa and stevia to unsweetened almond milk, but my high school chemistry tells me that the almond milk is not going to dissolve the pistachio/linseed oil.

Thanks for your help!

1) For a ketogenic diet or a CKD 60-65% fat and 40-35% protein respectively.

2) No need to get fancy with different oils. If just having a shake post workout I would stick to just protein, no fat. Wait 30-60 mins to EAT a pro/fat meal after shake.... But yes getting healthy fats shouldnt be over looked.

3) I was going to suggest unsweetened almond milk but water works as well. No it probably won't disolve but you'll hardly notice it.

Try getting yourself some macadamia nut oil from amazon and at that to your shakes when you dont have time for a whole food meal. It's delicious.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

If you really wanna run a true ketogenic diet, the higher the fat %, the more efficient it will be.

Some would call it crazy, but when experimenting with that kind of regimen, a 80% fat / 20% pro ratio is what yielded me the best results... ketones will spare muscle tissue... at least for a certain time.

As for the type of oil, I wouldn't try to get my Omega 3's from a vegetable source, as their bioavailability is really low/poor compared to fish oil. So stick with the basics, EVOO, coconut, red palm.

Last, you mentioned "bulking" while on a CKD... a bad idea. You NEED carbs to grow, and a constant supply along the day actually.

I ran macros like 50g protein 20g fat 10g carbs when I used to do natural shows and it knocked fat off like crazy

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear