over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Maintaining kidney health while on AAS

Agree. I saw some of the comments saying high protein can be dangerous for the kidneys, pretty sure the general consensus is that it is not
aha I saw comments from you in most threads I've read on here about kidney health; I've been browsing like every thread on this forum about kidney health, not that I'm paranoid or something,

but I had kidney scares in the past, and now my stance is that eGFR only inaccurately reflect one's true actual kidney health, in fact, I even think cystatin C isn't quite reliable as a test for kidney function overall,

nowadays we lack a true discussion on this site about kidney issues and health, every time users are like "you're GFR's in range, you're g2g bro", but facts are there's so much to uncover about the state of one's kidneys, beyond a single snapshot of a wildly inaccurate measure that is GFR/eGFR when it comes to evaluating the true state of one's kidney health.

aha I saw comments from you in most threads I've read on here about kidney health; I've been browsing like every thread on this forum about kidney health, not that I'm paranoid or something,

but I had kidney scares in the past, and now my stance is that eGFR only inaccurately reflect one's true actual kidney health, in fact, I even think cystatin C isn't quite reliable as a test for kidney function overall,

nowadays we lack a true discussion on this site about kidney issues and health, every time users are like "you're GFR's in range, you're g2g bro", but facts are there's so much to uncover about the state of one's kidneys, beyond a single snapshot of a wildly inaccurate measure that is GFR/eGFR when it comes to evaluating the true state of one's kidney health.

By all means, add your thoughts here regarding what tests you feel are appropriate... https://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-health-thread.168881/

I had a scare in the past so always worrying about kidney health for sure. I need to see an Endo soon I may see if they can request that test.

So, i have been taking 200mg DHEA orally for about six weeks now for bumping up some hormonal pathways (test, e2,...), the DHEA acting as a test and estrogen base somewhat (am using it since test results came back low repeatedly since PCT for last AAS cycle didn't bring up test values back to baseline again).

am thinking of hopping on Test again, I simply wanted to do a "natty" SARM cycle between hopping off on TEST again (maybe permanently now, depending on next round of hormonal blood panels later this year),

had in mind DHEA was relatively safe, however coming across a few studies I've been wary of using it too high now, don't know how much relevant this really is (had instances of kidney issues in the paast, nwo resolved I think):

The effect of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) on renal function and metabolism in diabetic rats

I had a scare in the past so always worrying about kidney health for sure. I need to see an Endo soon I may see if they can request that test.
Ok, good luck with your test then!

yes, now I'm trying to see how anything I take might affect the kidneys in some way or another; for example,

I have been taking 200mg DHEA orally for about six weeks now for bumping up some hormonal pathways (test, e2,...), the DHEA acting as a test and estrogen base somewhat (am using it since test results came back low repeatedly since PCT for last AAS cycle didn't bring up test values back to baseline again).

am thinking of hopping on Test again, I simply wanted to do a "natty" SARM cycle between hopping off on TEST again (maybe permanently now, depending on next round of hormonal blood panels later this year),

had in mind DHEA was relatively safe, however coming across a few studies I've been wary of using it too high now, don't know how much relevant this really is (had instances of kidney issues in the paast, now resolved I think):

The effect of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) on renal function and metabolism in diabetic rats

Kidney damage from high BP doesn't seem to be immediate, but cumulative over time (years), barring any acute hypertensive injury/emergency, where one episode might cause AKI, then possible enhanced suceptibility and further progression to kidney disease.

Any AAS user should read the following study IMO:

Pathophysiology of Hypertensive Renal Damage

Especially, high BP and influence on kidney health is a huge point of concern for people like me, who naturally have addictions and is powerfully drawn to AAS use and stim use (often concurrently)

Remember eGFR is likely to be lower in bodybuilders due to body size and the way it's calculated. That doesn't mean there is a kidney issue unless it gets down there.

Is there anything to do to counteract the acidity of protein? Would something as eating greens with your protein (alkalize) help?
I know this is an old thread but potassium citrate or potassium bicarbonate might control acidity. The latter has the benefit of increasing nitrogen retention at high enough doses.

I know this is an old thread but potassium citrate or potassium bicarbonate might control acidity. The latter has the benefit of increasing nitrogen retention at high enough doses.
Great to see you back here man. Would love to see you post more!

Don’t know if this is relevant to this thread, a sample size of one.

My creatinine was very high resulting in stages 3 kidney failure per a blood test. Got my doctors attention and mine. I was outraged, he was concerned, so we met and talked about it.

He ordered another test only this time I did not train for two days prior and came in well hydrated, my teeth were floating. (His recommendation.)

Test came back within normal ranges. Phew.

Prior tests were done on my way home from the gym and I was not well hydrated.

The importance of hydration and letting the ‘toxins’ wash out of system were paramount in my opinion.

Don’t know if this is relevant to this thread, a sample size of one.

My creatinine was very high resulting in stages 3 kidney failure per a blood test. Got my doctors attention and mine. I was outraged, he was concerned, so we met and talked about it.

He ordered another test only this time I did not train for two days prior and came in well hydrated, my teeth were floating. (His recommendation.)

Test came back within normal ranges. Phew.

Prior tests were done on my way home from the gym and I was not well hydrated.

The importance of hydration and letting the ‘toxins’ wash out of system were paramount in my opinion.
This is good info and I always make sure I'm well hydrated and my creatinine is always about 1.0 the past few years, but sodium has came back low. This makes me wonder, could we possibly be over hydrating and making our creatinine number look lower than it should be? Food for thought.

This is good info and I always make sure I'm well hydrated and my creatinine is always about 1.0 the past few years, but sodium has came back low. This makes me wonder, could we possibly be over hydrating and making our creatinine number look lower than it should be? Food for thought. Yes, keep an eye on it. A high protein diet like most bodybuilders are on now, I question the long term effect on the kidneys.

I tell a lie. My kidney was stage 2 not 3.

Yes. Keep an eye on yours.

Effects of a High-Protein Diet on Kidney Injury under Conditions of Non-CKD or CKD in Mice(2023)

Novel study on the effects of a high-protein diet on the kidneys: conclusions seem to be that a high-protein diet might be deleterious in a condition of kidney issues, but fine otherwise.

The debate is still open, obviously.

Byproducts from animal protein (l-tyrosine, l-tryptophan,...) by the gut microbiota are uremic toxins (produced in variable quantities depending on the micriobiota ecosystem) that are directly filtered by the kidneys.

Uremic toxins might be directly damaging to kidney health:

Uremic Toxins in the Progression of Chronic Kidney Disease and Cardiovascular Disease: Mechanisms and Therapeutic Targets

As such, this could be a leading mechanism as to why ingesting higher protein (especially from animal sources) in the long-term could have deleterious effects on the kidneys, from the direct toxic effects of certain uremic toxins on multiple organ systems (TMAO, kynurenine, p-cresylsulfate,...).

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131