over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Maintaining muscle while losing fat after total thyroidectomy

GetLeaner

Newbies
I had my thyroid removed in March of 2011 due to thyroid cancer and since, despite maintaining a clean diet and consistent exercise (which is exhausting these days) I have loss muscle mass and gained fat. My total tsh is 1.1, I take 125 mcg of Synthroid and 10mcg of levothyroxine. Doctors are of little help since scientifically, I should be "full of energy and maintaining weight".
My question is basically this... what can I take that will not put me at increased risk for heart trouble that will work in the absence of a thyroid? I'm down to eating 1350 calories per day, cardio 1 hour a day, lifting 2 hours every other day rotating upper/lower as needed and sleeping 10 hours a day. Any help is appreciated!

:banghead:

Hi there GetLeaner, Sorry to hear about your troubles, I can't imagine going through that and then getting no help from doctors when you’re trying to maintain good health and body weight.
I really feel like in your case the best route for you to go is to get a second opinion from another endo. Although as you said you should be ""full of energy and maintaining weight", you are not doing those things and this should be a concern for your doctor.
I'm hesitant to give you any advice on supplementation of any kind because of your recent battle with cancer.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe some other board members on here can chime in that have more experience with people in your situation.
What do your macros look like?

Hi GL, maybe you should try natural porcine thyroid replacement, I know many many women swear by it. Armour makes one, and you can also order online if your docs don't believe in it. Throid is what its called online (I think), its an indian or thai brand. I use a pharmacy compound by Clarks pharmacy. You can look them up online and call and ask them what doctors in your area do they know. They're in Washington State and Arizona, and probably other places too. I had to go out of system to find a doctor to rx it, at significant expense out of pocket but used my HSA to reimburse myself.

My experience is American doctors are educated by pharma reps, and they don't ever question whether the conflict of interest pharma reps have regarding their product and the other ... well, why would synthetic be better than natural.

There's a yahoo thyroid group you should check into. They have TONS of information and you can post and ask questions. They'll know all about blood tests you should order and what measurements are ideal versus "normal" and not working for you.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I agree! Armor thyroid is what I take for my hashimotos hypothyroidism and it made all the difference. I used to take the synthetics but the porcines are natural and have some free t3 in them also. My energy turned around 180 degrees after I started taking it 5yrs ago.

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass