over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Major Spine surgery

Pretzel Logic

Registered
I’m working with a spine surgeon to set up a fusion. I can go into what’s wrong and what my symptoms and pain have been, but the bottom line is I’m looking at around a ten level fusion, starting at L5-S1 and going up from there. Has anyone had this degree of fusion, gotten back into the gym, and had anything close to the performance and more importantly to me, the ability to build a physique close to what they had. I’ve been struggling with the back issues, and put off surgery for years, so I’ve already lost a lot of strength and muscle, not to mention symmetry, so I know I’ll never be the same. Anyone’s experiences and tips or info no one told you about the surgery or limitations you would have is greatly appreciated.

Most of my neck is fused and L4-L5s1 is fused along with other spine surgeries, but what you're talking about is major. There is a member here who has more levels fused in the lumbar and possibly thoracic...his name is on the tip of my tongue...I think it starts with an S...another member will remember. His upper body is pretty big. If someone remembers maybe they can post a link to some of his pictures on here.

Thanks for the reply. They have to fix DDD to the point that most of the nerve roots in the lumbar are severely impeded on, but there's also two scoliotic curves, one centered around the L3-L4 area and both in the mid 30s cobb angle that they are going to try and fix. My cousin has her entire spine fused. It’s scary.

Thanks for the reply. They have to fix DDD to the point that most of the nerve roots in the lumbar are severely impeded on, but there's also two scoliotic curves, one centered around the L3-L4 area and both in the mid 30s cobb angle that they are going to try and fix. My cousin has her entire spine fused. It’s scary.
how old is she, how old was she when she got fused, and how is she doing now?

I’m working with a spine surgeon to set up a fusion. I can go into what’s wrong and what my symptoms and pain have been, but the bottom line is I’m looking at around a ten level fusion, starting at L5-S1 and going up from there. Has anyone had this degree of fusion, gotten back into the gym, and had anything close to the performance and more importantly to me, the ability to build a physique close to what they had. I’ve been struggling with the back issues, and put off surgery for years, so I’ve already lost a lot of strength and muscle, not to mention symmetry, so I know I’ll never be the same. Anyone’s experiences and tips or info no one told you about the surgery or limitations you would have is greatly appreciated.

I remembered who the member is, it's Swiper. Check out his pictures and posts regarding his spine surgeries.

https://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/index.php?members/swiper.21815/#recent-content

I’ve had a L5-S1 ALIF about a year and a half ago and I’m nowhere near where I was before.

how old is she, how old was she when she got fused, and how is she doing now?
She’s in her mid 60’s, she’s slowly been getting more and more fused over the years, and finally got the rest of her upper back fused last year. I can’t talk to her about it though because she’s a big talker, take everything she says with a grain of salt type of person. The only reason I believe she has it fused is because I saw the x-ray.

Man I don’t envy you, but wish you all the best in your recovery. Will be a long road.

Cage

Sadly, I can't recall anyone that has had fusions that didn't end up having more and ended up much worse than they started. i would do my best to avoid them, yoga, stretching, thia chi, change the training, lighter weights high high reps, more cardio, get rid of heavy deads, squats anything that loads the spine. Add in ancillary exercises to keep the musculature in the back. Lots of hypers, etc etc.

I had the surgery. It seems to have gone well, and I’m recovering ok as far as my spine is concerned, but some nerves were disturbed, so I’m dealing with problems in my lower abdomen and pelvis.

Sadly, I can't recall anyone that has had fusions that didn't end up having more and ended up much worse than they started. i would do my best to avoid them, yoga, stretching, thia chi, change the training, lighter weights high high reps, more cardio, get rid of heavy deads, squats anything that loads the spine. Add in ancillary exercises to keep the musculature in the back. Lots of hypers, etc etc.
Everyone I’ve talked to says the same. Eventually you will need more fusions. I put it off for years by doing a lot of the things you mentioned, but I started getting worse at a faster rate. Scoliosis and DDD were degenerating, I was on huge amounts of opiods, and could only walk very short distances without a walker. I won’t know for awhile how well it all goes, but my goal is to recover and get back in the gym and get that part of my life back to a level of development I’m ok with.

Mine was nowhere as bad as yours. I had L4-5 fused due to 2 discs degenerating 10 years ago. Grade 3 spondylolisthesis, stenosis etc. Fusion, laminectomy, rods installed. Not the same as new but no complaints. A car wreck 4 years ago didn't help with being hit at 60+ mph while stopped at a light. Every disc that has been MRI'd has issues bulged or herniated. An ortho i saw last spring laughed when i mentioned my beat up spine and told me mine is in better shape then 99% of men my age and my MRI showed a guy that had eaten healthy and lifted his whole life.. He was talking about the shape my vertebrae where in for he most part. And wished he could send all his patients to me to teach them how to lift and eat healthy. The back can be a little stiff but no pain to mention. So not every surgery is a waste. At least not yet. From my reading and the people i have talked to it seems to come down to expectations. I never expected to be where i was years ago.

nowhere near in terms of pain level or nowhere near in terms of size/strength, meaning you've lost muscle and strength?
Correct. Having a vertebra fusion redefined “spine loading”. Prior to surgery I could shoulder press 100lb dumbbells, and now I’m at half that. If I try to step up weight, my back will be stove up and spasm for the next 1-2 days. I would definitely say the pain is worse after the surgery which is what many patients say. I had it at age 36 because I was losing sensation in my left leg after my L5 fractured. I’ve had to adapt and change the way I train, doing a lot of pre-exhaustion, high reps, slowing the reps down. But the days of heavy weights and big gains are gone for me. I’m almost 2 years post op and I am thankful that I don’t have to walk with a cane.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131