over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

maldorf

Jello

Moderator/Kilo Klub
Staff member
Registered
Didn't want to hijack that other thread so I started this one.

How have you had to change your training since your H.A. and being put on those meds? Time, weight, intensity?

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Registered
Didn't want to hijack that other thread so I started this one.

How have you had to change your training since your H.A. and being put on those meds? Time, weight, intensity?

I keep the volume about the same as before, maybe slightly more now since ive added a few sets and do higher reps.

Weight of course is much much less than it was. Before this all, I was on steroids and my strength was artificially high and I could push myself harder. For example: old squat the night of heart attack was 455 lbs for about 10 reps, new squat is 245 lbs for 22 reps. Im using higher reps on legs since it puts so much stress on the heart, but on upper body im doing 10-12 reps. I used to use in the 6-10 range.

Intensity then is lower since im using less weight. I dont do any drop sets, forced reps, etc because its really hard on my heart rate. DOing the set of 22 reps on squats is about all I can stand.

By using lower weight I am hoping to keep blood pressure down while I am lifting.

I also dont usually go all the way to failure now like I used to. I have noticed that when I do that it really taxes the heart. The nigth i had my heart arrythmia and had to get defibbed I did a set of 30 reps with 225 lbs on squats. I thought by going light I was being safe, boy was I wrong. Today I could probably manage about 26-28 reps with teh 245 lbs Im using, but I stop short so that I dont over tax my heart.

Rest times before sets are about the same as before. I try to push myself a bit there, but wait till the HR slows down below 100.

Jello

Moderator/Kilo Klub
Staff member
Registered
I imagine Cardio is a lot harder also so are you having any problems keeping weight off or did you just adjust your diet to compensate?

maldorf

Featured Member
Registered
I imagine Cardio is a lot harder also so are you having any problems keeping weight off or did you just adjust your diet to compensate?

Well, I lost weight pretty fast initially and then starting putting on the fat. My weight today is actually about 20 lbs lighter than when I was on, but my brf is somewhat higher. Im probably sitting at about 12-14% or so now and I was below 10% before the HA.

Everything is harder to do, but squats are the toughest. I had to cut my calories about in 1/2 to compensate for things. I only eat lunch and dinner now and have 1 or 2 protein shakes inbetween. it doesnt take a whole lot of calories now to support myself, and I really need to cut more to get down to where I was before. I was on GH too though, and I think that was really keeping me lean.

Taking this high dose of beta blocker makes it really hard to get and stay lean too.

Jello

Moderator/Kilo Klub
Staff member
Registered
Wow, that's a huge drop in calories. Have you tried to spread the food out a little more than that? Eating only the two a day can't be making it easy to get your metabolism up.

maldorf

Featured Member
Registered
Wow, that's a huge drop in calories. Have you tried to spread the food out a little more than that? Eating only the two a day can't be making it easy to get your metabolism up.

Im just not hungry at all. I can go 8 hours or more and eat nothing now. I weigh about 217 lbs now at 6 foot and im not fat by any means, so I guess Im doing ok considering the shape my heart is in.

anabolicscuba

Registered
Just curious, what effect does the beta blocker have that make it really hard to get and stay lean?

Pekkerwood

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I train very similar with no going to failure, no real straining. Goal is to not raise blood pressure or spike it. Controlled reps, controlled breathing, etc. Doctor certainly does not want me lifting weights the way I do even now.

My echo and nuclear stress test came back the same as before I started back lifting weights so I hope any harm I'm doing is minimized.

The Beta Blocker seems to block adrenal type hormones with me seemingly also slowing metabolism. I understand why they are illegal for golfers. I could sink a put with a rattlesnake crawling on my ankle. My mind still says "Oh, Crap!" but my body does not get nervous. Weird.

BTW I had severe heart failure, not a heart attack.

Pekkerwood

Jello

Moderator/Kilo Klub
Staff member
Registered
Im just not hungry at all. I can go 8 hours or more and eat nothing now. I weigh about 217 lbs now at 6 foot and im not fat by any means, so I guess Im doing ok considering the shape my heart is in.

I can't imagine going 8 hours during the day without eating, I'm starving after about 4 hours if I have to go that long.

Is that normal to have that kind of loss in appetite?

Jello

Moderator/Kilo Klub
Staff member
Registered
I train very similar with no going to failure, no real straining. Goal is to not raise blood pressure or spike it. Controlled reps, controlled breathing, etc. Doctor certainly does not want me lifting weights the way I do even now.

My echo and nuclear stress test came back the same as before I started back lifting weights so I hope any harm I'm doing is minimized.

The Beta Blocker seems to block adrenal type hormones with me seemingly also slowing metabolism. I understand why they are illegal for golfers. I could sink a put with a rattlesnake crawling on my ankle. My mind still says "Oh, Crap!" but my body does not get nervous. Weird.

BTW I had severe heart failure, not a heart attack.

Pekkerwood

That must be real hard to get used to. Isn't that the same drug they say can help you pass a lie detector if you have to take one?

maldorf

Featured Member
Registered
Just curious, what effect does the beta blocker have that make it really hard to get and stay lean?

it slows down the metabolism some as well as the heart rate. You also cant get your heart rate up with exercise and hence you cant burn as many calories.

maldorf

Featured Member
Registered

Pekkerwood

Yeah my cardiologist suggested that I squat with at most 40 lb dumbells! I suppose that would be safer, but oh well.

My echos have been coming back the same now since after my heart attack when I wasnt exercising too, so it doesnt seem to be hurting me. I do feel better these days though, and Im hoping that the humanofort might help me heal some. Ill know in march when I get my next echo.

maldorf

Featured Member
Registered
I can't imagine going 8 hours during the day without eating, I'm starving after about 4 hours if I have to go that long.

Is that normal to have that kind of loss in appetite?

yeah, its very normal considering my muscle mass has dropped a lot and im no longer on steroids. I also cannot lift as hard as I used to so I dont burn as much in the gym either. Take a listen to Mike Matarrazzo's interview after his heart attacks. He talks about he doesnt eat much anymore in this interview. It sounds like he eats even less than me, probably because he says he doesnt even lift anymore. It sounds like his heart is about like mine -20% ejection fraction. He has a defib too.
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/41685-audio-interview-mike-matarazzo.html

Jello

Moderator/Kilo Klub
Staff member
Registered
Thanks for the link.

This should be yet another wake up call to anyone reading this that still is not seeing the reason to get into the doctor for check ups.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidWaffle