over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Maltodextrin Carbs

I cant find

Does anyone know where you could order some dextrose or that maltodextrose? Im looking for a HI GI sugar im guessing the malto is higher?!

order

from protein factory.com or get beverlys mass maker from armagedon

Re: I cant find

Mojo Rising said:
Does anyone know where you could order some dextrose or that maltodextrose? Im looking for a HI GI sugar im guessing the malto is higher?!

Protein factory is good but they don't give serving sizes, i tried supplement direct and they have the big buckets of dextrose and complex carbs maltodextrin. I should last for months. DUB..

EASY:
TWINLAB'S CARBO FUEL OR UNIVERSAL CARBO MAX, BOUTH WORKS FINE 10 MINUTES AFTER A INSULIN SHOT, TAKE 100 GR OF MALTODEXTRIN , WITH 10 GR OF GLUTAMINE AND 5 GR.OF CREATINE.

.....THERE IS NO SPACE FOR THE LITTLES!!!!!!!!!!!
BIGHEINZ

I dont have a source for GI available-is maltodextrin that high?
I hope not...I was assuming it was a lower index that could be used instead of sugar type carbs found in weightgainers...
the proteinfactory.com maltodextrin is 25g per scoop (one of those protein scoops) and therefore 100kcal.

I'm pretty sure that maltodextrin has a relatively "low" GI. It is used in energy drinks for "sustained" energy as a result from slow conversion to sugar. Dextrose has a VERY high GI, like glucose and is what you're looking for post workout or post 'slin use - VERY fast-acting.

xcel

Maltodextrrin has a "high" GI. The tables I have seen it on rated it between 97 - 105. Here is a link to one:

**broken link removed**

Most carb drinks containing maltodextrin have warnings to diabetics.

Off Protein factory website:

Scientific Description
This complex carbohydrate is otherwise known as a glucose polymer. Maltrodextrin has the highest rating on the glycemic index of 100. Texture is a fine white powder possessing a bland taste and excellent dispersion in water or other beverages. Increases the mixability of protein powders when added to them.

Bodybuilding and Athletic Supplementation Description
Maltodextrin is most commonly found in the once popular "weight gain" formulas and now in "Meal Replacement Powders". Maltodextrin should be used by anyone wishing to increase their muscle mass and strength, without the complications of simple sugars. The most important use for maltodextrin is post-workout. Maltodextrin has the ability to replace glycogen stores quickly and spare amino acid catabolism. Maltodextrin will raise one insulin level, making them more apt to absorb more nutrients. Takes the guess work out of carbohydrate intake after workouts. Also recommended for bodybuilders on low carbohydrate diets to prevent glyconeogenesis, though timing is crucial. Maltodextrin is also used to increase vascularity of the muscle and give one the "pumped" look

Last edited:
maltodextrin is practically dextrose, one should use both postworkout bc of the slight differences in times of absorption alows greater glucose disposal bc there is a limit to how many carbs can cross a membrane i believe at once

Maltodextrin has just about the highest Gi possible!!!

Well - I stand corrected!! :eek:

xcel

Well I examined my weight gainers that I take post workout. It has 470g carbs in 3 cups, and 225 are sugars. So its less than half of the carbs are sugars. The carb sources in the ingredients are Dextrose, Fructose, and Maltodextrin. Now I know Dex and Fruct are sugars. So the Malto must NOT be considered a 'sugar'.
Now I have seen Malto rated high on the GI scale also, but somehow this does not correspond to it being a simple sugar. Ive seen certain types of cereals like Cheerios that rate a very high GI, but label read only 3g sugar or so per serving. So its hard to know which reading is more significant. I go with the label when shopping, as I dont have GI index handy with my shopping list!
:p

Any comments?

Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer. A glucose polymer's molecular profile optimises the long-term energy providing properties of complex carbohydrates, without the need to consume bulky starch-rich foods. It is the simplest form of sugar. It is produced by partial hydrolysis of starch by a typical total enzyme process using a bacterial alpha-amylase followed by refining and spray-drying to a moisture level of 3% to 5%. Maltodextrin is a mixture of glucose, maltose, oligosaccharides and polysaccharides.

The glycemic index is about foods high in carbohydrates. Foods high in fat or protein don't cause your blood sugar level to rise much. A lot of people may think sugar causes your blood sugar level to raise the fastest, but the glycemic index shows that even complex carbohydrates, like baked potatoes or maltodextrin, can be even worse. A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar.

JAG said:
Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer. A glucose polymer's molecular profile optimises the long-term energy providing properties of complex carbohydrates, without the need to consume bulky starch-rich foods. It is the simplest form of sugar. It is produced by partial hydrolysis of starch by a typical total enzyme process using a bacterial alpha-amylase followed by refining and spray-drying to a moisture level of 3% to 5%. Maltodextrin is a mixture of glucose, maltose, oligosaccharides and polysaccharides.
Aren't most complex carbs low on GI? I was just at a web site that stated maltodextrin was low GI (general, not specific info).

xcel

Aren't most complex carbs low on GI? I was just at a web site that stated maltodextrin was low GI (general, not specific info).

Most. But there are exceptions. Baked potatos for instance are very high GI. This is why glycemic indexs are so misunderstood.

It has been wrongly assumed that complex carb's are a long lasting source of energy because they are slowly digested. Cooked jasmine rice for example, is digested faster than pure glucose. The Glycemic index ranks carbohydrate dense foods in order of how rapidly they are absorbed.

Unrefined whole grain foods, pasta, legumes, fruit & vegetables tend to have a Low GI & are a rich source of vitamins minerals and fiber.

Generally speaking the more processed a food the higher th GI.

Some Surprising GI's Soy Beans (14) Lentils (28) Two Fruits (38) Special-K (54) Basmati Rice (58) White Bread (70) Baked Potato (94) Roll-Ups (99) Glucose (100) Jasmine Rice (109)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey bro go to your local healthfood store. I often find it in bulk
and I buy it by the pound its around a dollar a pound.

killer

My health food store packages their own in one-pound bags of dextrose. It was $1.09 a bag and recently increased to $1.19 a bag, which is still cheaper than online when you consider S&H costs into total. Plus they are located only about 1-1/2 block from my office.

I was in getting a couple of bags the other day and asked the manager since they packaged their own if they would give me price break on a package of 10 or 20 pounds? They said they would look into it and give me a telephone call. I got a call yesterday with some prices. I don't remember the "brand" names they quoted (but they were brand names). They said they could sell me a 25-pound bag for $45 (of course that's MUCH MORE than I'm paying now!) or a 50-pound bag for $35.95. I told them to order me that 50-pound bag!!!

Moral of story: it never hurts to ask!

xcel

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner