YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Master Division Question: Would you keep competing if no one else shows up?

Ty

Registered
For those of you who compete in local shows, in the Master Division (+40), if every time you got on the stage, you were either the only one that showed up OR the other Master’s competitors were not taking it seriously (as in no cuts, just bulky, no abs), would you keep competing?

If that is the case in your area than time to take a roadtrip. Plenty of serious masters competitors out there!

This past weekend at the Junior Nats... Apparently some of the womens physique classes had TWO competitors in it... Meaning you had a 50% chance at getting a pro card in that class. I think it would be silly to NOT compete knowing that.. but if you're the one running the show and handing out pro cards.. I would think structuring the classes in a way to make things more competitive would be a good thing. Not much satisfaction in beating no one.

Not much satisfaction in beating no one.

That's kind of my point. Or in one case I had two "non-competitors" show up, and when my friends saw who I was up against they gave me a lot of flack.

On the other hand, I"ve had other close friends that tell me that seeing someone "your age" up there and looking that good gives them hope.

Struggling with this and I was wondering how other "Masters competitors" feel about it.

Thanks

If that is the case in your area than time to take a roadtrip. Plenty of serious masters competitors out there!

Appreciate the comment, but I go to the 6 local competitions within 150 miles of where I live. Much further and I'd have to spend money on hotels and dinners etc. Pls understand, while I very much enjoy BB, I'm not anywhere near Pro material like many (most?) of you. I'm in the minor leagues. So I'm already out several hundred bucks in stage prep (i.e. getting tans, hair removal, posing tutoring) and what I get back is a trophy.

Appreciate the comment, but I go to the 6 local competitions within 150 miles of where I live. Much further and I'd have to spend money on hotels and dinners etc. Pls understand, while I very much enjoy BB, I'm not anywhere near Pro material like many (most?) of you. I'm in the minor leagues. So I'm already out several hundred bucks in stage prep (i.e. getting tans, hair removal, posing tutoring) and what I get back is a trophy.

most shows have check in friday night and show saturday morning and night

getting hotels and traveling is what is necessary to do the sport

do your tan yourself, products the tanners use are avail for you to buy. shave yourself.
if you're spending money on these things as well as a posing coach, then you cannot use financial as a reason to do or not to do.

obviously you are asking about doing more shows, so money sounds like an excuse. put more investment behind it, and stop believing youre a minor leaguer
what you get back should be more then a trophy

I wouldn't let other people showing up or not showing up in shape dictate whether or not you want to compete. Worry about the things you can control--you can't control who shows up or doesn't come in shredded.

For me, it's not about a trophy--it's about beating my last package, learning (more) about myself through a prep (especially with kids, having a business, sports, etc), the struggle, the light at the end of the tunnel, the relief when show day comes (and passes), the meal after the show, and then missing that whole process.

I get and respect wanting to compete (against others with like minds), but you know, someone who doesn't come in shredded may have lost 50+ lbs just to get to that point (and they are happy with that)...or that one person just beat some disease...or...(fill-in-the-blank)...and that's a bucket list item for that person..

Bring your best and have fun...at 40+, I can't imagine a plastic trophy can mean all that much...regardless of who shows up.

Good luck...

-s

Last edited:
How old are you????

Do the open...

When I competed, the most important to me were the pictures, to see if I improved from show to show. I always did well but I felt the most important thing was to say to my kids when I am my age now (50) "look at how your Dad looked back then". All my trophies have been thrown away, took the plates off and shoved them in a box (was going to make a large plaque) and these monster trophies trashed. I get the guys in the gym tell me I should compete again in masters but I do not feel the urge to spend my money to make a promoter money. I can't believe how much an NPC card and show fees are now, plus everything else.

How old are you????

Do the open...

Agree 100 % with Tenny. No reason A guy in his late 40's / early 50's can't hold his own in the open ! Older guys are looking so good these days that masters should start at 60.

If you put in the time and effort why not? If no one else shows up don't you want to show the crowd what you brought to the show. Seeing the fans cheer you on should give a big sense of satisfaction at least it did for me.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws