over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Meal planning

sugarshane1403

Newbies
Need some input on what would be the best way to keep up with my food intake throughout the day. I do not compete or anything but I am serious about advancing my size and training capabilities.

I have job that allows me three solid weeks at home without any responsibility to work just dealing with what we have going in at home. We have four kids so it can be pretty hectic with sports, school, gymnastics, etc with the kids so scheduling and planning my meals is tough.

I started out three years ago at 140ish and now 170ish but can't break any higher and I know it is due to food intake and just can't get a good plan together.

So what are what some of the ways you guys have been successful tracking your intakes allowing to for sure hit your targets macros.

Currently I know I am getting 3000 cals at least everyday somedays more and all of that being clean meals.

Open to any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a great article I read today by powerlifter Brandon Lilly:

5 Tips for Eating Huge - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems

I particularly like his tip about the nighttime shake:

The next “trick” I use, is I make a 150 gram protein shake, with 20-30 grams of fat from Natty Peanut Butter each night before bed. I set it on the dresser beside me, and when I get up to go to the restroom I drink half of it. So, while the rest of the lifters in the world are sleeping, and getting no nutrients, I get 800 calories from a shake.

Plan ahead.

Pack meals.

Some people can follow a diet where they aim to hit certain micros. I find that I personally function much better on a specific diet where I have specific meals laid out. When I'm not dieting then I have more social meals (eating out with friends, etc.), but when dieting maintain the same eating schedule. It's one less thing to think about and if you know how to cook/season well, the food won't be bland.

A lot of this is preparation

5 Tips for Eating Huge - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems

The next “trick” I use, is I make a 150 gram protein shake, with 20-30 grams of fat from Natty Peanut Butter each night before bed. I set it on the dresser beside me, and when I get up to go to the restroom I drink half of it. So, while the rest of the lifters in the world are sleeping, and getting no nutrients, I get 800 calories from a shake.

That's prob 800 cals you don't need

Pretty good read bro thanks

Plan ahead.

Pack meals.

Some people can follow a diet where they aim to hit certain micros. I find that I personally function much better on a specific diet where I have specific meals laid out. When I'm not dieting then I have more social meals (eating out with friends, etc.), but when dieting maintain the same eating schedule. It's one less thing to think about and if you know how to cook/season well, the food won't be bland.

A lot of this is preparation

Meal prepping seems to be the trend here for sure. Do you feel a week worth of meal say done on Sunday would be good or every four days, etc?

That's prob 800 cals you don't need

You should've read the article before commenting. Brandon is a 300+lb guy. That is HIS calorie requirement for that time period. He suggests using less foe a lighter person. I hate it when people comment without getting their facts straight. Its amazing what you can learn when you read.

im going to try the nighttime protein shake thing.

I've seen some people suggest eating dirty to learn how to eat big. Seems to be easier to increase overall quantity of intake then switch to eating clean.

Pretty good read bro thanks

Meal prepping seems to be the trend here for sure. Do you feel a week worth of meal say done on Sunday would be good or every four days, etc?

I prep on Sunday for the week.

One of the key factors of putting on lean body weight is consistency... you need to be able execute the plan you set out and do that every single day.

Start by getting your baseline caloric intake... if your weight has been steady for a while, take a look at your daily food consumption over a few days and tally up your calories and take the average. This should give you a good estimate of what your caloric needs are at maintenance (of course, there are tons of formulas such as well). Take that maintenance number and increase it by about 500kcals per day

Next, set your macros.

Next, look at your prei-workout nutrition. For most people, focusing their carbohydrate consumption around training works best to gain lean body mass without excess fat when in a caloric surplus. Basically give your body the nutrients it needs, when it needs them most. Try to get your carbs in the pre, intra, post and, if needed, post-post workout meals

With the remaining calories, spread them out over the remainder of your meals. These will mostly be comprised of protein and fat.

Now look at your food choices. Use a food database to determine how many ounces or grams of a given foods you eat provide x amount of protein, x amount of fat and x amount of carbs.

After you do some shopping to see what you need to meet your macros and determine your meal structure and foods you will eat... go shopping.

Then portion out all of the meats (some people use raw weight, some use cooked weights) and cook them (or if using cooked weights, cook them and then portion them). After they are cooked, leave 2-4 days worth of cooked food in the fridge and freeze the rest and then each day take out your prepared food.

Since cooking up proteins in generally the most time consuming, I do a week's worth on Sunday and have them ready to do.

I cook my rice in a rice cooker and store 2 days worth a time. The rice cooker is so easy, you just set the timer and go and it is ready when you need it.

Having all of your meats prepared according your macro goals and know what food and in what quantity will give you x amount of protein, carbs and fat will make it easy to adjust kcals as needed and be consistent.

From there, if you are not gaining, look at where you can add carbs, preferably around training.

You can also add healthy fats to meals, coconut oil is great addition to meals to increase the caloric value and help you gain lean body mass.

Hopefully all that makes sense, but that is how I go about it....

Some great advice so far.

Soemthing I'll suggest that works well for me is to keep everything in bulk containers in the fridge and just refill each tupperware daily. For example, I cook 5lbs of potatoes for the week, add butter, garlic, cream cheese and sour cream and mash them up. When it's all said and done, divided evenly it's about 630g mashed potatoes daily. Since I know that, I just keep all the potatoes in a big covered bowl in the fridge. Fill a tupperware with my daily 630g, eat it at work, rinse it out and just refill it when I get home. I do this with everything. Rice, meat, etc.

I like this because I'm not doing 3 loads of dishes a week and having to wash 8 pieces of tupperware every night when I get home from work.

Lots of good advise!!! Definitely going to be implementing some of this from now on. I will also be looking into getting me a rice cooker.

Use a phone app like myfitness pal

Log EVERUTHING u eat. Start with a set amount of cals n increase. Do not miss a day no matter what

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

One of the key factors of putting on lean body weight is consistency... you need to be able execute the plan you set out and do that every single day.

First of MF, I think the entire post was great but wanted to hit on this one thing.

Big A and the other big boys of this site CONSTANTLY preach this very thing..... being consistent. Hitting your macros, getting in every meal, not missing workouts etc

**broken link removed**

Just kidding :). Great info, I use fitness pal as well. I try to cook twice a week because it's fresher that way. I always ended up throwing some out when I did it all on Sunday but I certainly understand why people do it.

I work from home so I have the luxury of cooking most meals fresh

If I were to pre-cook things, I'd cook twice a week minimum. I don't think some things should be in eating after a certain number of days. Personal preference.

Rice cooker is ESSENTIAL. Don't go cheap, get a good one. Use it for rice, and steaming vegetables. This will save you a ton of time.

Almost everyone I know ate in the middle of the night to get big.

Its been a while, I guess I've forgot what it takes to gain a lot of weight

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner