over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Measuring cooked steak

Big D 51

Registered
I searched for a thread on this and I wasn't able to find what I was looking for so hopefully I am not flooding the forums by starting this one.

My question is regarding measuring steak. I understand that the nutrients on the back of the pack is for the size/weight of the uncooked meat. I am trying to avoid having to cut the steak into the certain size before cooking.

If I need 10oz. of steak at a uncooked weight, how much should it weigh cooked?

Thanks.

I searched for a thread on this and I wasn't able to find what I was looking for so hopefully I am not flooding the forums by starting this one.

My question is regarding measuring steak. I understand that the nutrients on the back of the pack is for the size/weight of the uncooked meat. I am trying to avoid having to cut the steak into the certain size before cooking.

If I need 10oz. of steak at a uncooked weight, how much should it weigh cooked?

Thanks.

There is no tried and true method for calculating the amount of moisture and fat a cut of beef, or any other protein for that matter, will give off after cooking.

Unfortunately for you, the best way would be to measure with a scale before cooking.

There is no tried and true method for calculating the amount of moisture and fat a cut of beef, or any other protein for that matter, will give off after cooking.

Unfortunately for you, the best way would be to measure with a scale before cooking.

I was thinking the same thing. Thank you for your input. I am just trying to find a good way to cook all my steaks at one time so I can store them in the refrigerator. I have no problem weighing them out before and cooking them in separate spots on the grill. The problem comes into play when I add them to a large container for the fridge. I guess I can individually wrap the 10oz servings in separate tin foil or something. :banghead:

I was thinking the same thing. Thank you for your input. I am just trying to find a good way to cook all my steaks at one time so I can store them in the refrigerator. I have no problem weighing them out before and cooking them in separate spots on the grill. The problem comes into play when I add them to a large container for the fridge. I guess I can individually wrap the 10oz servings in separate tin foil or something. :banghead:

That would be best. The steaks would taste better cooked fresh too! Double wrap in saran and then foil. Dont forget to label the meat with the date so you dont forget when you stored them in the fridge or freezer.

I know that 8 ounces of raw meat equals 6 ounces of cooked meat.:eek:

With my red meat I cut it up into smaller pieces (3-4oz) and cook it that way , this allows me to either add a little red meat to meals with chicken or adjust the portion size because some times I can't stomach a full large portion of meat so I'll eat a smaller portion and drink some Isopure water

Ok, here's the thing - don't get caught up in the details too much. The worrying will probably effect you more than 50 calories here or there.
Yes, check the nutritonal information and notice whether it is cooked or uncooked, but if you're not sure make a best guess and if you are cutting, go on the less side and if you're bulking, go on the higher side.
I know one thing, if I cook a meal I am not going to start weighing it after it is cooked, I want to EAT it :)

Great suggestions

Thanks for the input. Great comments as always. I work 84+ hours a week so cooking for a few days at a time is my only option. Also, I am working with Shelby so its not fair to him unless I eat the proper nutrients so he can adjust.

After watching Dusty Hanshaw's youtube video on prepping food, he has a good point about making food taste good. As he said, I guess if I weigh my food one way then stick to it then it will be ok.

Troponin Nutrition Macronutrient Guidebook

Dude make your life much easier and purchase the Troponin Nutrition Macronutrient Guidebook. This was written by Shelby and Justin so it should align very well for you. All the protein measures are cooked weight. I too cook my meat twice a week and cut it all up. Then I simply just have to weigh it out into bags depending on the macros of the specified meals that day. Here is the link to it

**broken link removed**

Dude make your life much easier and purchase the Troponin Nutrition Macronutrient Guidebook. This was written by Shelby and Justin so it should align very well for you. All the protein measures are cooked weight. I too cook my meat twice a week and cut it all up. Then I simply just have to weigh it out into bags depending on the macros of the specified meals that day. Here is the link to it

**broken link removed**

I am buying it now, thanks.

All protein should be weighed after cooking it,that is the weight you want for it to meet your protein requirements. Everything is trial and error based on how u cook something. But i if want to be dead on always weigh it when you are done cooking it.

All protein should be weighed after cooking it,that is the weight you want for it to meet your protein requirements. Everything is trial and error based on how u cook something. But i if want to be dead on always weigh it when you are done cooking it.

The amount of protein in something does not change when you cook it. The cooking process simply denatures the proteins. You dont weigh your eggs after you cook them do you? Moisture and fat are lost in the cooking process, thus reducing the weight of your food. The bottom line is either way were kind of splitting hairs over 10 oz or 12 oz of chicken or beef someone will consume.

weight is usually 3/4 what is was before it was cooked. 4oz is generally 3oz cooked. not completely accurate but a good baseline.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member