over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

"Meathead" stereotypes in the workplace

I have delt with that type of behavior for many years in my field, and the best way to handle it is to make sure you are the best at what you do for a living. Success will always make their comments powerless, and without merrit. Sure sometimes things people say are funny and or demeaning but if your successful they know in the back of their mind; they say these things out of jealousy. In addition they will look like an ass in front of co workers; especially if the comment is nasty. I worked my way up through the ranks in my first 7 years to become a G.M. over people that were in the field for 20 plus. Whos the meathead? There is no better comeback or reaction then success.

My response is simple: Don't act like one. That is about all you can do. A lot of people perpetuate the stereotype and speaking for myself, I don't want to be seen as that type of person so I don't carry myself that way.

Skip

Exactly, as a matter of fact the other day I was thinking you are one of the few bber friends that I have on my facebook that doesn't have every single one of his friends in a tank top or in front of the mirror with a cell phone hitting a most muscular or double bicep pose. Your friends seem to range from everything to old ladies and "normal" looking people to a few bodybuilders.

I'm no monster either, 6'1" 240 - 260, but I get the same thing ( I'm an accountant / CPA) . Most of it is in fun, just speak intelligently and take it as a compliment. Like my doctor told me (and he pokes fun at me too) " you know the reason we talk about you is because most of us are insanely jealous of you guys but just to damn lazy to get off our asses to do anything about it."

you're not the SIR-LOIN from labusas.org by any chance are you?

can't really come up with too many specific comments, its just a general aura I feel. . i've had multiple male managers show hostility towards me likely because they felt intimidated, which is somewhat gratifying, but on the other hand, makes for an unpleasant work environment.

I guess I was more curious if anyone gets these kind of situations or even discrimination in the workplace?

What field does everyone work in? I am a software engineer and i find that bodybuilding and appearing fit has done nothing but make things easier in my career. People tend to realize the level of dedication required to look a certain way and to me, it lends a certain aura of discipline to your perceived everyday life activities. It has always seemed to me that people figure if you put that much dedication and discipline into something like looking good, how much discipline will you put into something that has a 'valid payout'?

I guess we all experience it differently. I laugh things up, joke around and make sure i am good at my occupation. I only speak if i have something intelligent to say and make sure i always maintain an even temperament because if you are bigger, people will be intimidated if you start ranting and raving. I think its less of an issue in professional fields.

I usually just give them some smartass remarks.

The level of ignorance displayed from people who do not engage in any type of physical fitness oriented activity is just obscene.
All the questions like 'you must lift every day' and 'how much can you bench' and 'do you take creatine' of course the topic of AAS comes up. At that point I just tell them I have been lifting for 20 yrs and its taken a long time to get my size...that usually shuts it down.
Somtimes at work Ill show them a MD magazine with a pro on the cover and say "Im small...THATS WHAT BIG IS" pointing to someone like Markus or Jay. Usually they are so taken back with the size of some pro monster that in proportion I look like a stick boy and it shuts down the conversation...just a little educating the ignorant GP.

What field does everyone work in? I am a software engineer and i find that bodybuilding and appearing fit has done nothing but make things easier in my career. People tend to realize the level of dedication required to look a certain way and to me, it lends a certain aura of discipline to your perceived everyday life activities. It has always seemed to me that people figure if you put that much dedication and discipline into something like looking good, how much discipline will you put into something that has a 'valid payout'?

I guess we all experience it differently. I laugh things up, joke around and make sure i am good at my occupation. I only speak if i have something intelligent to say and make sure i always maintain an even temperament because if you are bigger, people will be intimidated if you start ranting and raving. I think its less of an issue in professional fields.

^This is my experience as well.
I am a IT Systems Engineer and work around generally intelligent people. I feel that I recieve additional respect because of how I look. I am by nature soft-spoken, laid-back and non-threatening. The best part is no one ever questoions my long lunches at the gym. It's hard work and they respect and admire the dedication.

A lesson in life i have learned to accept is this: "the higher you stick your head up above the crowd, the more people there are that want to chop it off".

Strongman Doug Hepburn was once asked by an assuming reporter, "So whats it like to be all brawn and no brains?"

to which Doug replied, "I dont know...whats it like to be neither?".

In the end, it doesnt matter what anybody thinks of you, only what you think of yourself.

A lesson in life i have learned to accept is this: "the higher you stick your head up above the crowd, the more people there are that want to chop it off".

Strongman Doug Hepburn was once asked by an assuming reporter, "So whats it like to be all brawn and no brains?"

to which Doug replied, "I dont know...whats it like to be neither?".

In the end, it doesnt matter what anybody thinks of you, only what you think of yourself.

This is good!!!

I am glad you noticed this. I have tried to have friendships with people within the sport and they almost always fail miserably because most, though not all, people in this sport are train wrecks. They almost always want something from you, too.

I have come to a place where I prefer my friends to be well-rounded, normal people that are fun to be around and can talk about a lot of different things and meatheads can't do that. They are some of the most boring people to be around and conversation always comes back to their diet, what food they are craving or something about THEM.

To my friends, I am just a friend and they could care less that I am "Skip" or what I ate for my refeed or what body parts I trained last night.

Skip
Exactly, as a matter of fact the other day I was thinking you are one of the few bber friends that I have on my facebook that doesn't have every single one of his friends in a tank top or in front of the mirror with a cell phone hitting a most muscular or double bicep pose. Your friends seem to range from everything to old ladies and "normal" looking people to a few bodybuilders.

you should respond as follows" Actually, I have a rare genetic disorder that inhibits the production of a gene called Myostatin. It causes uncontrolled muscle growth that has been the source of me being teased and tormented for most of my life. It also Prohibits me from enguaging in my true passion, Ballet." Then stare blankly at them until they cry.
LMAO:D

I actually try to use it to my advantage. When thrust into a situation with new people, they are usually very cautious of me until they figure out that I...

1.) Am not all that cocky.
2.) Can actually form complete sentences.
3.) Do not count like Jay Cutler doing a set of dumbell rows (un, ooo, eee).
4.) Am pretty darned funny.

The funniest thing is when I walk into Guitar Center and they look at me like I'm lost. The next thing you know, I pick up a guitar and start playing. Before long, there are a couple of guys gathered around watching.

can't really come up with too many specific comments, its just a general aura I feel. . i've had multiple male managers show hostility towards me likely because they felt intimidated, which is somewhat gratifying, but on the other hand, makes for an unpleasant work environment.

I guess I was more curious if anyone gets these kind of situations or even discrimination in the workplace?

Kris,

You might consider taking a close look at how YOU feel about their response to you.

Some part of you LIKES this intimidation. If they are sensing that you like it that they are (or someone else is) intimidated by you, what kind of a reaction might make sense on their part?...

So, I wouldn't count out the possibility that perhaps their reactions are in part not only to your appearance per se, but also something about how maybe you carry yourself or what ever comes through non-verbally in that you a gratified to believe they are intimidated by you.

On the other hand, their reaction is one of in security, too. If you REALLY don't want that hostility, then doing what you can to make it know that you're not a threat might help... (including not be gratified that they feel threatened by you! LOL)

So, I could be totally off here, but this is a little different perspective than you're getting from some of the other posts in this thread, so I hope it might help.

-Scott

let it roll off your back man.

i just recently went back to grad school and bring my meals with me. i'm not the biggest but i still am pretty large right now (6'1 275) and people give me the "PRROOOTEIN!" line all the time or "how can u drink egg whites?!" or bullshit like that. i just laugh. Guys won't admit it but they want to look like you and girls want to stare at you. Simple as that. I like it. I'm offseason too so i cant wait to see the ladies when im at 230 shredded haha

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131