over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

"Meathead" stereotypes in the workplace

rocketman414

Registered
While I am younger than many on this board, I am curious what kind of experiences you guys have had with your professional or educational (university) lives.

In some of the jobs/internships/etc I have worked in, I have been designated the resident meathead (even at 6'1 220-240), and while some of the jokes/comments are positive (ie if that guy keeps talking shit to the other bartender go throw him out), others have felt demeaning in regards to intelligence.

Even at a top 25 university, it seems that some people assume all I care about is working out and eating "PROTEIN!!"..

So, what experiences have you guys had? Anyone had a boss demean them, or any relevant experiences?

I ask this because I am a Finance major and am starting an internship in a couple months at a major investment firm.. I'd like to know what kind of environment I may be faced with.

Laugh, smile, nod your head. . . .a man would never be disliked or looked down upon simply because he is jacked, but he'd CERTAINLY be disliked or looked down upon if he had a bad personality.

I'm no monster either, 6'1" 240 - 260, but I get the same thing ( I'm an accountant / CPA) . Most of it is in fun, just speak intelligently and take it as a compliment. Like my doctor told me (and he pokes fun at me too) " you know the reason we talk about you is because most of us are insanely jealous of you guys but just to damn lazy to get off our asses to do anything about it."

Without a doubt, the nicest people i've worked with are the least educated while the worst to deal with are the people with all the credentials. Most of my colleagues as well as others in medicine are the worst.

The advice Btech and Sir-Loin have given is solid.

yeah i stick out like a sore thumb in my classes (finishing Mech. engineering degree) everyone initially thinks im a cocky meathead. but they soon learn that i am an intelligent cocky meathead

Without a doubt, the nicest people i've worked with are the least educated while the worst to deal with are the people with all the credentials. Most of my colleagues as well as others in medicine are the worst.

The advice Btech and Sir-Loin have given is solid.

Agreed. I work in the financial industry, 6' 230lbs. I get the comments all the time. I take it as a compliment and I try not to prove them right by getting upset. Their opinion usually changes after a conversation or two. You guys at 240 and 260 must really get it!

Just say "Wow, jealousy is a bitch huh" and walk away.

you should respond as follows" Actually, I have a rare genetic disorder that inhibits the production of a gene called Myostatin. It causes uncontrolled muscle growth that has been the source of me being teased and tormented for most of my life. It also Prohibits me from enguaging in my true passion, Ballet." Then stare blankly at them until they cry.

I was at a private university in a very intense and competitive Philosophy program and I stuck out like a sore thumb. I was the only person over 200 pounds that wasn't fat as shit and everybody looked at me like I was just another dumb meathead... until I got up and presented a paper on dichotonomic linguistic matrices, and everybody just shut the fuck up lol.

They give you a nickname(forklift) and assume your a dumb meathead that lives in the gym..then they come up to and ask what you take when there friends that were joking with aren't around..I just say protein and creatine..at my last job I had several co-workers taking creatine and protein and didn't even workout cause I would usually say I haven't been in the gym in several months, after a few weeks those same guys gave me their protein and creatine, said it was b.s...but I am only 230ish so I could imagine what you REAL meathead get thrown at you.

I work in IT and people that I work with know me as the guy who always goes to the gym. But they also know me as a the sharpest guy in the group that I work. No one ever says or does anything demeaning to me for some reason, I am only 6'1 285lbs. :p

I been called so many things a can't remember mos of them. Doofis, tank, big dummy, big for nothing, steroids etc. I work in a confined area with other people and we all move around alot and most of them are anoyed by my size. They call me wall, roadblock, Tonka truck etc. The thing that anoys me the most is when they put there arms out pretending to be big and use a really deep voice and copy whatever I say in a dumbed down version. But none of that shit really bothers me. I just smile or laugh because I know deep down inside there jealous.

Last edited:
you should respond as follows" Actually, I have a rare genetic disorder that inhibits the production of a gene called Myostatin. It causes uncontrolled muscle growth that has been the source of me being teased and tormented for most of my life. It also Prohibits me from enguaging in my true passion, Ballet." Then stare blankly at them until they cry.

Now that is funny, I gotta remember that. Another time that I shut them up, some of the pencil necks heard I was decent at golf, so they took me out for a round (golf is the only thing I've done longer than lifting) . I had my personal best round that day, a 68, which shut them up nicely. beat em at their own game. They haven't invited me again.

I'm no monster either, 6'1" 240 - 260, but I get the same thing ( I'm an accountant / CPA) . Most of it is in fun, just speak intelligently and take it as a compliment. Like my doctor told me (and he pokes fun at me too) " you know the reason we talk about you is because most of us are insanely jealous of you guys but just to damn lazy to get off our asses to do anything about it."[/QUOTE]

Yep, yep. Most won't say it, but that's pretty much it. People only talk about you for two reasons, they fear you, or are jealous of you. Take it as a compliment.

Kris,

I have a good guess as to which school you're graduating from and where you're living, so some of this may be a function of that area of the country (not entirely known as the fittest). (I grew up not far from "stl" and perceptions are different about muscular guys vs. places like the West Coast or Florida, for instance.)

I don't get a lot of direct comments that are negative, maybe now b/c (esp. with facial hair), folks who would have something negative to say don't do so: Along with those negative stereotypes may also come the suspicion that I'm also a violent guy. ("Muscular guys are de facto violent" in a simplistic or fear based way of examining the world.)

Some of this is re-iterating what's been said already, but I'd try to:

-Be non-reactive at least in a negative way. If you react with anger, frustration, etc. that can sometimes reinforce the stereotype. (If someone is miserable enough to try to insult you, chances are they also want you to join them in misery by actually being insulted...)

-Interject humor if you can. When someone does the Imaginary Lat Spread / imitate me as a gorilla impression, for instance, I might say something like, "That's a highly impressive persona you've taken on there..." Pause.... "Oh, show me more... " LOL <If they continue> "Can you run through that wall like the Hulk?..." Etc. Play it up and have some fun. Either it will be funny or they'll end up looking silly, not you.

-I've sometimes seen that someone seems to be intimidated by me or has stereotyped me negatively (just from their non-verbal behavior, eye contact, lack of smiling when they're smiling at other people, etc.) and will sometimes say something like (in a quiet voice): "Hey, can I get your opinion on something?... " <They nod> (With a smile: "Do I look especially *mean* today?... I'm workin' on my meanest look... but I think I've got a little too much ugly mixed in there... Whattdya think?... " :)

-However, if its a really condescending comment you get, you may have to fight fire with fire.

What kind of comments are you getting, more specifically?...

-Scott

My response is simple: Don't act like one. That is about all you can do. A lot of people perpetuate the stereotype and speaking for myself, I don't want to be seen as that type of person so I don't carry myself that way.

Skip

Kris,

I have a good guess as to which school you're graduating from and where you're living, so some of this may be a function of that area of the country (not entirely known as the fittest). (I grew up not far from "stl" and perceptions are different about muscular guys vs. places like the West Coast or Florida, for instance.)

I don't get a lot of direct comments that are negative, maybe now b/c (esp. with facial hair), folks who would have something negative to say don't do so: Along with those negative stereotypes may also come the suspicion that I'm also a violent guy. ("Muscular guys are de facto violent" in a simplistic or fear based way of examining the world.)

Some of this is re-iterating what's been said already, but I'd try to:

-Be non-reactive at least in a negative way. If you react with anger, frustration, etc. that can sometimes reinforce the stereotype. (If someone is miserable enough to try to insult you, chances are they also want you to join them in misery by actually being insulted...)

-Interject humor if you can. When someone does the Imaginary Lat Spread / imitate me as a gorilla impression, for instance, I might say something like, "That's a highly impressive persona you've taken on there..." Pause.... "Oh, show me more... " LOL <If they continue> "Can you run through that wall like the Hulk?..." Etc. Play it up and have some fun. Either it will be funny or they'll end up looking silly, not you.

-I've sometimes seen that someone seems to be intimidated by me or has stereotyped me negatively (just from their non-verbal behavior, eye contact, lack of smiling when they're smiling at other people, etc.) and will sometimes say something like (in a quiet voice): "Hey, can I get your opinion on something?... " <They nod> (With a smile: "Do I look especially *mean* today?... I'm workin' on my meanest look... but I think I've got a little too much ugly mixed in there... Whattdya think?... " :)

-However, if its a really condescending comment you get, you may have to fight fire with fire.

What kind of comments are you getting, more specifically?...

-Scott

can't really come up with too many specific comments, its just a general aura I feel. . i've had multiple male managers show hostility towards me likely because they felt intimidated, which is somewhat gratifying, but on the other hand, makes for an unpleasant work environment.

I guess I was more curious if anyone gets these kind of situations or even discrimination in the workplace?

lol, i'm using this one

Currently anyone who looks like someone from Jersey Shore is considered a meat head where I work. Funny I think them Jersey Shore guys aren't even that big.

Then if you look like that or bigger the women usually come up to you and asked "you take steroids don't you?" All the bullshit talk usually happens at lunch.

I laugh and usually respond your "asking me if I using an illegal substance without prescription in front of an entire lunch room based on me being bigger than average guy.

Then I say to the skinny ones who aren't married or least engaged after 30 yrs of age" You must be a coc-whore(sp) bitch and or anorexic because your so skinny and can't keep a guy for more than 6 months it must be all the cocaine your using and the vomiting"

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members