over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MEDIAL HEAD OF CALVES

I do that as well with a barbell, the gym I go to has a boomstick so my wife will roll that on there as well. A lacrosse ball works really well as well.

Try doing the DC calf method Dante put out on the incline treadmill walking. Smokes every area of my calves. Also....smash and roll the shit out of your calves on a barbell to try and free up any bound up tissue in there

A few cc's of synthol should fix that right up for you in no time!!

but no really I only feel the medial head during the first half of the movement like Gunsmith wrote. Standing calf raises, start at the bottom at the stretched position and then go half way up, hold, go back down and repeat...

made these bad boys grow from 16 to 16.5 inches in only 3 years.

my calves suck too but I can feel them this way much better.

I think most people train calves with way too much weight.

I’d lighten the weight and concentrate on FULL range of motion.

All the way up, pause and flex, then all the way down, pause and flex.

More than any other muscle, I think you need to really Burn the calves for growth.

I see people get into a rhythm with calves, to where they’re just bouncing the weight, up and down.

yeah I've tried just about everything... including 5/5/5 temp (concentric/contraction/eccentric), extreme stretching, toes in/toes out

standing, seated, donkey, single, etc..

guess i'll give the super light weight a shot, then go see a sports therapist lol

Not super light, but Not heavy.

I’d shoot for sets of 15-20 reps. More than any other muscle, I think you have to really feel the burn; mind muscle connection.

BE THE CALVE!

Last edited:
I have fascia tears on the medial gastroc on both calves, they didn't want to 'activate' for a long time, now they work just fine.

The medial head of the gastroc pulls the HEEL of the foot to the INSIDE and pushes the ANKLE of the foot to the OUTSIDE. (sorry for yelling)

Try doing standing calf raises with completely LOCKED knees, if you are double jointed, just use bodyweight, keep the quads flexed and knees completely locked.

I have fascia tears on the medial gastroc on both calves, they didn't want to 'activate' for a long time, now they work just fine.

The medial head of the gastroc pulls the HEEL of the foot to the INSIDE and pushes the ANKLE of the foot to the OUTSIDE. (sorry for yelling)

Try doing standing calf raises with completely LOCKED knees, if you are double jointed, just use bodyweight, keep the quads flexed and knees completely locked.

I have to admit, that's one thing I genuinely have NOT tried yet lol..

thanks Kaladryn, I will certainly be giving this a shot.

assuming my calves are damaged from something, what type of doctor/physician would you recommend I go see?

I truly believe that it is all due to genetics. I know a lot of people don't want to hear it. It is just like some guys don't have much of a peak on their biceps or their lats have a high insertion.

I tried doing different foot positions and it never seemed to make any difference. My medial heads seemed bigger than my lateral. I do feel like though that the donkey calf raise is a great exercise and shouldn't be neglected. You can have people sit on you if you don't have a machine. Strap weights to your waist too.

I truly believe that it is all due to genetics. I know a lot of people don't want to hear it. It is just like some guys don't have much of a peak on their biceps or their lats have a high insertion.

I tried doing different foot positions and it never seemed to make any difference. My medial heads seemed bigger than my lateral. I do feel like though that the donkey calf raise is a great exercise and shouldn't be neglected. You can have people sit on you if you don't have a machine. Strap weights to your waist too.

I definitely have mediocre calf genetics (and overall genetics lmao), but everyone has a medial head to their calves... and mine aren't firing

I see people doing calve squats all the time. I didn’t even think to mention this, but yea, to isolate the calve, you need to lock the knees, so that ONLY the calve is working.

assuming my calves are damaged from something, what type of doctor/physician would you recommend I go see?

Gastroc myofascial tears are extremely common and there is nothing you can do once they happen.

BTW, I have worn EMG sensors on both medial gastroc muscles and trained them while watching the activation graph on an ipad. What I found was that my calves are expert at deactivating the gastroc on the negative portion of the movement. Very small movements of the knee forward and backward cause this. By focusing on not letting the knee move backwards or forwards doing the movement (or even doing the opposite of what they wanted to do), I was able to keep the gastroc engaged on the negative.

About the video posted, to focus on inner or outer head, don't turn the toes in or out, force the ankles in and the heel out or vice versa...

I definitely have mediocre calf genetics (and overall genetics lmao), but everyone has a medial head to their calves... and mine aren't firing

I really don't think that is physiologically possible. The nerve roots running to that muscle also fire off other muscles too. I think if there were a real problem there then you would have a lot of weakness and other muscles would be atrophied.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6648707/

Looks like it is either L5 or S1 that innervates the medial head, with S1 being the most common. This study says that the muscle heads are most probably dual innervated with one of the 2 nerve roots being dominate. For something to be truly wrong with yours there would have to be some kind of nerve impingement and I think there would be some pain involved somewhere along with trouble in the other muscles innervated by that nerve.

I see people doing calve squats all the time. I didn’t even think to mention this, but yea, to isolate the calve, you need to lock the knees, so that ONLY the calve is working.

Locking the knee just puts more stress on the gastrocnemius and less on the soleus.

I can attest to what heavyhitter said about the incline walking, that really fries your entire calves and should it not give direct calf growth, at least you'll gain some 'mind-muscle-connection' out of it which seems to be lacking anyway.

That would mean doing cardio though :D

Other than that I rarely see people emphasizing the stretched part of calf raises sufficiently so, that is really important when doing any kind of calf raise. If necessary, have someone push you deeper into the stretch each time.

I would also concentrate on putting more pressure on the balls of your feet that are under your big toe area

Wear high heels around the house! Some guys used to swear by that,lol. Don't know if it does any good.

They used to make special tennis shoes with a platform on the sole.

If you wear high heels you have got to post that picture!

Don’t you think some people either have them or don’t I know of quite a few pros who I’m sure hit them hard and they cap out at a certain size

I just want calves that aren't tiny lol... they are what I get bulled about the most tbh.

judging by the outside heads, I should be able to put some decent size on em if I can get this medial head issue worked out.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear